Feature Race Idea

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I was thinking of starting to submit my own "Feature Race" article strictly on the newbies in the game. I guess I'd include anybody in their first year of competing, though I guess it would really be difficult to track the sheer number of owners who would qualify with all the races being run these days.

I'd call it the "Newbie Report" or something similar. Anybody have any thoughts?
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I think that's a fantastic idea. I've started a series of interviews focused on the long-time players of the game (in order for us all to impart wisdom to the newbies) so I think your idea would be a great complement to those. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Wow, you're actually interviewing people? That was way more in depth than I was thinking. Aside from Trial Park though, it's really hard to figure out just by looking who the newbs are. When did Year 17 officially start? Mid-September?
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

*cough* Yes it is rather in-depth, that's why so far the only interview is with myself. :P

Personally, I'd classify "newbies" as anyone who started the game with SIM 3.0; that is, anyone whose join year is 2006. Even for the first people to join the new SIM, a SIM year and a half really isn't enough time to get fully established in the game. You can check dates of joining on the profiles off the Owners page on the main site.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Ara Davies wrote: *cough* Yes it is rather in-depth, that's why so far the only interview is with myself. :P

Personally, I'd classify "newbies" as anyone who started the game with SIM 3.0; that is, anyone whose join year is 2006. Even for the first people to join the new SIM, a SIM year and a half really isn't enough time to get fully established in the game. You can check dates of joining on the profiles off the Owners page on the main site.
Yeah, I started doing that. There is am amazing amount of newbies. Perhaps I should just focus on Trial Park then.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I joined Year 16 Week 10, being June of 2006. Don't know if you yourself would consider me a newbie, but I still do in a way. If you want to interview me, you can.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Hmmmm....this is making me think of a whole new series. Like a meet the newbie series. Usually everything on the Feature Race is racing or breeding related. Has anybody ever done something from an owner/trainer standpoint?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'm all for it - I say - do it!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

As a newbie, I would thoroughly enjoy something like that. I always like to know what works (and doesn't work!) for others.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Ara Davies wrote: that's why so far the only interview is with myself. :P
I *laughed*!
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Ok, a "meet the newbie" Feature Race article is on the horizon, provided I can get a newbie other than myself to cooperate...

:D
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

LOL....all you have to do is ask.

:lol:
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Em, if I don't get a reply in a little bit here, you're up next.
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

Me! Me! Do me!
Chris Carman
Derby Contender

Post by Chris Carman »

I would be glad to help out.