Feature Race Idea

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Haha me too.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Katie Grenier
Classic Contender

Post by Katie Grenier »

I think it would be very benefical for the newbies like myself. Especially if good sound advice is given as to things to consider when starting out, how to work up to a stakes winner, what different terms mean that aren't explained on any of the help pages. Such as why an injury may have happened, how many races a year is a good place to start a horse out with, how far apart the races (average) should be depending on the age of the horse. So forth and so on. There are several things I can think of that would really help newbies out. Even going into breeding help for first time breeders. How to choose the right stally for your mare and vise versa. As well as how to build a good reputation for your foals.

Anothering that you can consider for the article are newbies with the most improvement since the article started, but that would depend on several things as well as, knowing which newbies are reading the articles and using the advice.

I personally look forward to seeing articles geared toward newbies and love the idea :)
Enigmatic Dreams LLC
Breeder of Rush Tu Dis Miss
The Only Grade 1 Winning Son Standing by Green Dash
Please Visit Inspiration Stud or Nikki Sherman For More
Information on Rush Tu Dis Miss's stud fee and breeding availability.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Two interesting people you might want to look at are Dave Shields and Josh Dutzy - they both started at the beginning of Year 16 and have had massive success for being in the right place at the right time.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ronda Figal
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ronda Figal »

what a awesome idea... i can't wait for the first article.....
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I love the idea and can't wait to see what articles you come up with! As a newbie myself i'll be glad to help you out with anything that I can, just ask :)
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Thanks for all the advice. I have my first interviewee lined up! Look for something by the end of this week.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Ok, first interview finish. For the folks who are interested, would you like to see the interview printed verbatim or should I add some stylistic points to it as well?
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Chris Carman
Derby Contender

Post by Chris Carman »

I would like to read it first and then make my judgement.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I don't know. I was going to do an article, but the interviewee's responses were so good, I just don't know what else I can add!
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

You could take the responses and work them into an article, including quotes here and there from the interview. That's the way I thought it was going to be, although whatever you decide is fine. ;)
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I like the idea of "Meet The Newbies".

:)

I do try to keep track of the up and comers but there are just so many right now, it's pretty difficult.

General interviews shouldn't be that hard. Just mass pm the questions. As you get responses you can send more detailed individual questions about the key horses a trainer might have.
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

I like Nikki's idea...I had the vague impression that that was how the article was going to work.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

So did I, but her answers were so good, I just figured it might be even better to have it come straight from her mouth! No worries though, the first of the "Meet the Newbie" series will be submitted to the Steward on the morrow.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Sounds fantastic J! Can't wait to see what you've done :)
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

EXCELLENT job, John!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG