Grr

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

I won't even get into the next door neighbors on the right. On the left, they have this stupid fat weiner dog and I dunno if it's escaping or getting out of its collar or what but it's ALWAYS FREAKING LOOSE. It runs into our house through the cat door (which is another rant, I'm trying to get my dad to stop letting his cat run loose around the neighborhood), and makes mischief. Today was the second time in a month he PEED in the house and I'm left, using my last bottle of Nature's Miracle to clean up that junk. This time was in the kitchen, last time was in MY ROOM. OMG. *seeing red*

I feel completely justified in my thinking that it's rude to let your dog pee in other peoples' houses and leave them to clean up the mess. The neighbors are nice and mean well, but god, you'd think after the FIRST time the ruddy dog escaped they'd strengthen their fence, change their routine, something. It runs loose all the time. Like once a week it's out for the past two months.

I am in the process of housebreaking my dog so it's like, I don't want your dog's blasted ammonia containing pee in my house! And my dad won't agree to close the catdoors! I'm like well just keep your cat inside, gosh darn it!

AAAAARRRRGHHHH.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

That completely sucks! It is your neighbors duty to control their animal, especially when it is running around loose. Call the SPCA and report it. Sounds like your neighbors need a wake up call. Then maybe as a Xmas gift (if you are like nice with them and they to you) you can either get the Cesar Milan's book or one of his DVD's. Or better yet, get Cesar to make his show with that dog. "Dog whisperer" is a great show!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Cesar Millan is great.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

The Steward wrote: Cesar Millan is great.
Yes, he is! I can't believe some people want his show cancelled! Well actually yes, I can believe it, but gosh. Cesar rocks. :)
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Sarah Chase wrote:
The Steward wrote: Cesar Millan is great.
Yes, he is! I can't believe some people want his show cancelled! Well actually yes, I can believe it, but gosh. Cesar rocks. :)
Who wants his show canceled? The Bad Dog Society?

Now if only someone could make the "Cat Whisperer" show. :lol:
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

The American Humane Society (note: this is a minor humane society, NOT the prestigious Humane Society of the United States), PETA terrorists, purely positive/let's dress up our dogs in designer tees and paint their nails pink/discplining your dog will crush his spirit/pack mentality is outdated pricks.

Oh please.

I agree, Dave, the Cat Whisperer show would be very awesome. Hehehe help! Our kitten is ruining the couches!
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Jarrn Shikage
Derby Contender

Post by Jarrn Shikage »

Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I despise Cesar Millan.

His methods are outdated, dangerous, and generally cruel.

That's just my opinion.
Just Look - STB Trotter - $2k
~11:7-3-0
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

What's cruel about him looking a dog in the eye, telling it no, and teaching it respect? I'm honestly asking. I had a lot of issues with some of various "Horse Whisperer's" ideas, and didn't want to use them, so I understand that some people wouldn't like it, but I'm not a dog trainer so since it not only worked for Cesar but I used some of the methods on my dog (and they worked!), so I don't know what would be bad about them.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

jarrn wrote: Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I despise Cesar Millan.

His methods are outdated, dangerous, and generally cruel.

That's just my opinion.
Sure, you're entitled to your own opinion. :) I'm curious, though, what exactly does he do that makes you tick? What do you consider outdated, dangerous, and generally cruel? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely wondering.
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Funny you should mention neighbor dogs... the dog next door has been barking non-stop for about 2 hours now.

Not as bad as it peeing in my room, but still REALLY obnoxious!
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Ali LaDuke wrote: Funny you should mention neighbor dogs... the dog next door has been barking non-stop for about 2 hours now.

Not as bad as it peeing in my room, but still REALLY obnoxious!
Hehe you know, our neighbors' dogs are like that too and I can silence them by just walking up to the fence and calmly staring them down. You can hear the barks get more and more uncertain, until finally they're quiet for a minute, then I go back into the house. If they start barking when I back off, I go back and snap my fingers and point at them. Works like a charm. :)
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Only one option:

Go into their house and mark some territory. Someone tried to look me in the eye and teach me respect once. Once.

-Daryl
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

HAHA I was JUST listening to the Dane Cook skit about pooping on the coats. Do it Sarah!
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

I wouldn't call animal control on them for the first reason that they might not be aware the dog is doing it. If he's slipping his collar, they may think he's in the bushes, not in your house. I would bring it up with them first. Calling animal control will just get the dog taken away to an already overcrowded animal shelter and possibly put down for the owner's ignorance. Give your neighbor a chance to correct the problem first.

As for the Dog Whisperer and inhumane techniques and whatnot.. I've been told it's inhumane to 'pop' an animal on the hind end to teach it not to do something. This isn't a punch or a kick but a slap, much like a spank. And it's done once. But I'll tell you, I do it to my dog and my cats, and I've never once been bitten by my dog OR my cats, no matter what I've done to them. I can even take my dog's blood without anyone to make sure he won't bite me. I've also never been scratched by any of the cats in anger. There's a lot to be said about using total reinforcement (negative for bad, positive for good) to teach proper behavior. My psychologist fencing coach used to say the world's best training is candy treats and cattle prods. Too much prod is abuse. Too much candy is spoiling or placating. A healthy mix of the two is what you need.

By the way.. I've raised at least 4 cats from the newborn stage, 1 from the day I found her as the sole survivor of a spay surgery in the trash can. Of the cats I've raised, not a one will go outside the litter box, no matter how messy it is, and they've all been commented as being the most well-adjusted cats that my CFA judge friends have ever seen (Miracle has been best cat at a HUGE show two years running). Outdated and possibly "inhumane", maybe.. but they work.. and my babies still love me.

If it were that inhumane, trust me, I'd never be able to lay a finger on my pets.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I guess different techniques for different people, as is typical. When working with racehorses I was taught to pop them in the side of the mouth if they tried anything stupid, not like a punch just enough to get their attention. A big time trainer taught me this. However, when I was working for a smaller outfit, the guy saw me do that to a horse who was in the process of sinking its teeth into me and he blew up at me. So, who knows.

It's funny that we were talking about this, because this morning my dog was looking sad outside and so I let him in to keep me company, which usually means I'm taking him on a walk. I wasn't, but he was still really excited. I reached down to try to calm him at the same time that he was.... reaching up? Doing something? and he bit my arm, leaving a one tooth little puncture. It was really small and he didn't mean to, but I'd never been bit before and it really hurt! It was kind of halfway between a bite and a nip, like he was just closing his mouth and my hand was in the wrong place at the wrong time.