When To Take The Training Wheels Off?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

Do most SIM horses outgrow there need for f8 bridles as they mature... or are the optimal equipment conditions for a horse a non-dynamic thing in the SIM?. I have a 4 year old gelding competitive at an allowance level that has raced with an f8 since his second start, due to some wide turns on his first start as a 2 yo... and I want to run him without the f8. Is this wise?
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I say why change whats not broken.

Edit: I also love the silks!
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

haha... thanks guys... i can't claim credit for thinking them up thou...

i saw the design on Desert Smoke, a 3 yo colt running 12.5k claiming races in so cal that i think is currently trained by O'Neil... I don't know if he still runs with the flames as he has been in at least three claiming races since i took this pic.

Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

That picture just gave me Del Mar flashbacks! I cant wait til opening day.
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

me too.. are you in San Diego too Sean?
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

I am a Cal bred that goes to school in KY and spends summers in Del Mar.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

To answer your question, only the Steward knows for sure, but I tend to think of the horse's optimum equipment as non-dynamic (lasix in particular). The real question, though, is whether your horse needed a figure 8 in the first place. If you're going to experiment with a figure 8, I'd do it in a race similar in condition/distance to the horse's previous race, so you eliminate as many other variables as possible when conducting the experiment. That way, you've got as good a chance as possible of seeing what the figure 8's impact is on your horse's performance, good, bad or indifferent.
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

thanks laura, i think i found a good race to expt in
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I personally play with equipement all the time. Always trying to get a horse to go with less. Real life habits creeping into the game I guess.

Kotya Peekin and Tycoon are two examples of horses I put f8's on, then took them back off after they had served the purpose I put them on for.