Yearlings

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

I need some help with figuring out the distance to start my yearlings, i dont have too many so here they are:

Crimson Wake
Remach
Danseur's Joie
Late At Night

Thanks to anyone who helps :lol:
Kateri Lennox
Miler

Post by Kateri Lennox »

The easiest way (in my opinion) to figure that out is to look at the pedigree, and see whether the horse is bred to sprint (4-7f), be a miler (7-9f), a classic horse (8-11f), or a router (10+f). Sometimes horses will be bred from two different lines (sprinting mare to mile stallion, etc.), so you may have a larger range to work from.

Once you figure out where your horse probably wants to run, that gives you a baseline of where/when to start them. If they're bred to go 12f, they're probably not going to do very well at 4f unless they're really talented. Likewise, if they're bred to do 5f and you wait until the mile-long 2yo races show up, they probably won't appreciate it much.

To begin with, all the 2yo races will be short (4-5f)...as the year progresses, the 2yo races get longer, which is when you'd send out your babies who're bred more for distance.

The best part is that, in general, running a baby over too short a distance won't hurt them (provided you follow the usual rules of resting your babies, and not running them way over their ability level). Even if you send out a 2yo who's bred to do 12f into a 5f race...sure, they may come in last (which isn't so good for their morale), but they will gain experience for next time. The best option is to match them to the distance they're bred to run, obviously, but feel free to experiment a bit as well.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm going to disagree here. If you've got a horse bred to run 1 1/2 miles, you really ought not to be debuting it at 5 furlongs. I think any experience gained from the race is outweighed by the damage you do to the horse's confidence. Think about it. Do you want your first experience to be positive, or sucking down the kicked-back dirt down your lungs in last the whole way around?

Plus, you're teaching the horse to sprint in a go-go-go! fashion, rather than relax and go long, like it is bred to do, so when you stretch out, you run the risk of the horse being rank, or having other problems that you wouldn't have had if you'd waited for distances to increase. A horse may overcome the wrong distance if it is precocious enough, but the majority of your long distance routers are not precocious.

In the SIM, you can (and people do all the time) wreck a horse's confidence. What I mean by that is, if you run a horse over its head enough times, or get it beat badly enough times at the wrong distance (to clarify, I'm talking about where the horse keeps finishing far back behind the winner and the running lines are not encouraging, not where the horse is finishing a decent second, or sixth, but only two or three lengths separate the field, or had a horrendous trip), the horse may finally win once you get him or her to the proper distance/level, _but_ if managed properly, that horse might have been a stakes winner, but now, since the confidence is wrecked, the new best is only an allowance level horse. You won't know this - no light bulb will come on, no e-mail, no peek at all the mystical stuff that goes into making up the horse, but the fact is, do enough wrong stuff, and the horse won't ever reach his or her full potential.

If you're going to experiment, confine yourself to these two situations (1) the race may be too short, but in looking at the rest of the field, you think your horse has a decent chance to win based on class and some evidence that the horse's pedigree suggests that the horse could be a little precocious (if mom and dad did their best running at four, and big sis didn't do much before age three, that's a good indicator that the horse isn't precocious), and, (2) you've tried what you think the best distance ought to be, but that doesn't seem to be working, and in taking a look at the pedigree a second time, you think - oh! maybe the horse is really bred to - run shorter, run on turf instead of dirt, etc. THis is particularly true of horses where you can't tell whether they're going to run best on dirt or turf - at some point, you probably should try them on both surfaces. The horse may hate the other surface, the horse may love the other surface, but at least you know.

Laura
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

OK, back to the original question. Three of the four are definitely turf, Late At Night, probably turf, but maybe dirt - Midnightconfession's offspring have run well on both surfaces, and First Samurai raced well on dirt, but his pedigree suggests he might sire turf (and since his first babies are only yearlings, you won't get any better insight than that until they turn two and start running).

As to distance, that gets a little iffier. After just a quick look, I think Crimson and Danseur are a mile or more (how much more, I'd need to dig deeper, and even then, there isn't necessarily enough information out there to get a better opinion). Remach - I'm not sure, as Redoute's Choice doesn't have that many runners out there, and Late At Night, it's a guess - I can probably rule out super long distance horse, but whether Late At Night is ultimately a sprinter or a miler, or possibly wants a little longer - I don't know.
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

Thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for, they are my first lot of yearlings and i think i bought them "quite" well, the most expensive was Remach at 35k, but i dont think that she will be the best out of the lot, i dunno, ill race them how you suggested and see how they get on, bring on the new year