The Werewolf Apology Topic

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nan Lanson
Grade 3 Winner

Re: The Werewolf Apology Topic

Post by Nan Lanson »

In another version of the game that I played, there were two serial killers who operated independently of one another (and therefore could kill each other accidentally too), in addition to the wolves who were eating everybody. One of the killers won in the end, I think. Just another thing to keep people guessing.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

If we're talking about role rules, I thought I would chime in. I mentioned this to Tan when she asked for my opinion at the beginning, so I'll reiterate it here. I've played this game multiple times with multiple rules (and also as Mafia), so this is what we generally do...

Lovers: At the beginning of the game, either a person is chosen as a "cupid" or the witch is given the opportunity to brew some love potions. Before the end of the first round, that person randomly chooses two people to become the "lovers". The lovers are then told who they are, and it becomes a secondary role rather than the current game's primary role. In this way, you can inadvertently pair villager/villager, wolf/wolf or wolf/villager. The last combo has made for some VERY interesting games...

Sheriff: This is actually a voted position, not one designated. Instead of the villagers voting to hang someone the first day, they vote who to elect sheriff. This is a great way for wolves to gain extra voting power against the villagers, and a way for villagers to help speed the wolf hanging process. Also, if the sheriff is voted to hang, the villagers must vote again to fill the position (in other words, you're never without a sheriff). Did I mention power struggles GALORE? :D

Master Wolf: Shouldn't this technically be called an Alpha position? Anyway, I've never played with this particular role power before, but I would think the game would run more smoothly if the wolves were able to "elect" as a whole group to turn a particular person once in the game, rather than one single wolf having the secret individual power. It makes for a more unified pack.

Medium: Yes, this was my role. At first, I thought it would be a fairly useful role and powerful villager. However, since pretty much EVERYONE talked to everyone else after they died, it ended up being a moot point. Particularly since I had to PM through Tan, then wait for a response during a night phase. It was much easier just to log in to the chat and talk with the person in real time. I think this would be great for a real life game, but I would consider removing it for an online version...

Seer/Tracker: There's a fine line between these roles, and although I'm not sure how either played I think they're a bit repetitive. I vote to scratch the Tracker...

If we were to play again, I wouldn't necessarily consider creating more wolves or more villager roles, but instead create an overlap of several roles so people could hide under half-truths rather than completely outright lie. There's more paranoia and mystery that way, although the current thread is quite hilarious with its back and forth accusations. To be honest, the fewer the villager roles, the better the game play. Anyone can claim they're a peasant, and if you think it's hard to keep track of just 5 of them, imagine how much more interesting it would be to keep track of 10. ;)

On that note, Tan has my complete sympathy. It's much more difficult to admin over a game like this in a forum or chat based online world. You can't monitor private messages or chat sessions; dead people talk to live people and pass on information when they should remain silent and out of the game. The screenshots become a big issue. In real life, you had to develop a poker face to play the game and if anyone pulled anyone else aside for a private "chat", they were immediately suspicious and generally faced the noose that day.

So. Anyone interested in another round after this?? :D I volunteer to moderate.
Dana Williams
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dana Williams »

Count me in for round 2!
I love the thought on the roles Madelene. And this is a game I would love to play in person, maybe a SIM meet? haha But also on a side note. We could open a forum off site and use it to play the game. AvidGamers used to host forums and you could ban players and such so once a player is dead they would be banned and forced to watch as a guest and could only read. I believe in this case fake names would be assigned to keep it more interesting and to try to avoid people contacting each other through SIM to give away tidbits of info. Just my two cents.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I would try it, though it seems like a lot of the intricacies of the game are kind of ruined by what I've read/heard of screenshots, chat, and the like.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

To be fair John, had the screenshots not come into play, most people would have been way less open in the chats.
Dana Williams
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Dana Williams »

which is why I propose we do it off site and under false names. Sure it would be easy to pm everyone and tell them who you are but still. I think pictures and outside links can be turned off in forums or can be a moderator only option. Also how easy would it be for me to say I'm someone I'm not in a forum under false names. Only the moderator would know who's really who. But then this is all off the top of my head and I'm sure there are plenty loop holes to be found.

EDIT: either way I'm enjoying reading the game from the sidelines ;)
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

Post by Clinton Jacinto »

I would strongly suggest to you Madelene to randomly make 1 or 2 depending on the number of people who are playing to be traitors. The traitor can be anyone and (i.e. Mason, Drunk, Seer, etc...) this will make people cautious about sending screenies to every proclaimed "good guy" this also works like a serial killer, but they have more power because they can eliminate either a wolf or a villager so you've got 3 sides that are butting heads and thus causes more chaos and FUN FUN FUN!!! I also would like to be in the next one again as I am a great addition to the game play by the way :)
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Dangerous Montives $2,000
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

I think everyone in the village is assigned a role. And then the wolves are notified on Day One what they are. SO, wolves can have roles within the village too. That'd stop the screencap cr-ap.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Things I like:

Something to do between results, shipping, entering, and bugging mary weather
the potential for lots of double dealing, deceit, and ethical dilemmas. I loves me my ethical dilemmas

What I didn't like this time:

Screenshots. While reassuring, I agreed with Brandon that they seemed like an unseemly shortcut
People took it too seriously
(edited for a future blog post, because THIS made me want to punch things...but i do not wish to start a flame war. I shall discuss over the weekend.)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

ahh good thinking leo i had that in mind as well.
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Seems like Dana is on the right track with her thoughts. Fake names, in particular, would seem to make things even more interesting. Or even better, if, say, Scott Eiland was actually Clinton Jacinto in the game, or Cleo Patra was given the name of "Amy Schmidt" for the purposes of this werewolf exercise. That would surely put an end to some of these shenanigans.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

Whoever the smart aleck was that thought of the screenshot should be hanged. LOL!!! jk
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Scott Eiland wrote:People took it too seriously
Is the fact that we had a one hour conversation about this game over the phone taking it too seriously? :)

Or do you mean they took it too personally?
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

Either way, I have to admit I had quite a fun time. Even though the screenies came out it was still interesting to see how people would react to adversities. I STILL WANT LEO TO HANG!!! :)
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500
Clinton Jacinto
Eclipse Champion

dogs only have one life your not a kitty with 9 lives or are you?
Turf Sprinter Studs
Starlight Night $5,000
Rushing Nights $15,000
Best I Bust $1,000
Turf Miler Stud
Dollar and Cents $1,000
Appaloosa Studs
Balico $15,000
Texas Ranger $5,000
Taste the Rainbow $2,500