Script Problem

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Script Problem

Post by Melissa Mae »

I keep getting warnings like this "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://www.simhorseracing.com/js/tablesort.js:673" when going to the Choose A Stallion page and also got it on California's stud book page. It gives me a choice to Continue or End Script and if I choose continue, the warning just keeps popping up. I thought you guys might be interested to know it's doing this. I'm using firefox.
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Re: Script Problem

Post by Chris Everett »

you might want to make sure you have your java updated fully. Otherwise, maybe your net is being slow. FF shouldnt have a issue with running the js at all. Also, how long has your computer been on? Was this after you turned it on and got online? Or was this after leaving iton for a day or more?
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I've loaded the chose a stallion page on three different computers and still have the same problem.
Tanitha Starlet
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tanitha Starlet »

Melissa Mae wrote:I've loaded the chose a stallion page on three different computers and still have the same problem.
Seems to work fine for me. So. It can still be your end.
Same virus scanner on each machine? same version of java on each machine? etc etc.
The page is also big, So can take a long time to load on a slow internet connection and time out, What speed is your net?
Innocent Onlooker
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Tanitha Starlet wrote:
Melissa Mae wrote:I've loaded the chose a stallion page on three different computers and still have the same problem.
Seems to work fine for me. So. It can still be your end.
Same virus scanner on each machine? same version of java on each machine? etc etc.
The page is also big, So can take a long time to load on a slow internet connection and time out, What speed is your net?
Three totally different computers. One has vista, one has XP, one has windows 7. The only thing that's the same about them is that they all run windows and have microsoft office 2007 on them, LOL!

ETA: 1 runs comcast high speed internet (not sure what speed that is), 1 runs DSL, and 1 goes back and forth between since it's my laptop and I take it to both houses.
Tanitha Starlet
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tanitha Starlet »

Every website loaded goes through the virus scanner, do they have the same one? try switching it off and then trying it.
Innocent Onlooker
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

The thing that takes a while is for the javascript to make the list be sortable (by clicking on the column headings). We had to try to weigh the pros and cons on having a long list (which can make the javascript slow) versus shorter lists (by breaking long lists into different pages). Anytime you have to break a list into pages, it makes the sort-ability of the columns useless because you are no longer sorting all the rows - just the rows on that page. So we made the lists go up to 500 rows before breaking them into pages. The speed issue is mostly the javascript and not the connection speed. Browsers with slower javascript will have trouble. I found that Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) has slower javascript.

Once we thought about making the number of rows (500) configurable by each user. I don't know if that would be worth it or not.

No one should use IE6 because it is a dinosaur. I recommend IE8 or newer. Firefox and Safari should also be very good. Make sure you keep up to date with the latest versions.

How many people are having bad experiences with 500 row sortable lists? Do we need to look for a different way to make it work?
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

I'm on Firefox and have no problem with sorting lists.
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

Hmm, suggestion. You might want to defrag your computer. Just one. The Win7 should ahve IE 8 on it, if not, go to microsoft and get the install and run it. Also, IE 8 allows you to disable scripts... so tha tmight be the problem. Mel's using FF I thought so its not IE's fault. Its mostly a computer's capability to load the JS thats an issue. Something is slowing all the computers down. Could be the VS yes, but that will have warnings for that issue. I would, as i said before, update the java from www.sun.com first. Also make sure your browswer is updated to the newest version.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I just bred a mare on one of the computers I tried yesterday with no problems and didn't update anything. Maybe the computers were just being tempermental or something yesterday. I'll try the other ones later.
Chris Everett
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris Everett »

Coudl have been a fault net too. SOmetimes happens. Glad its not happening now though.
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

I have had it happen before with pensioned sires, but it may just be the ones that have more, and I tried to click something before the script finished.