Breeding Advice for an Arazi Daughter

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

I recently purchased Sense of Urgency. She is by Arazi and out of a Sea of Secrets daughter.
My plans are to cross her with one of my stallions.

I had looked at Electrocutionist. But am concerned that the Arazi is to close up since he is out of an Arazi daughter.
The other one I looked at was Noverre who is a half-sibling to Arazi but wasn't sure if I was putting the cross to close up front.

What is your opinion? Also, if you see one of my other stallions that might prove to be a good cross please feel free to share.

Azamour (Night Shift x Asmara(Lear Fan))
Fasliyev (Nureyev x Mr. P's Princess(Mr. Propsector))
Fuji Kiseki (Sunday Silence x Millracer(Le Fabuleaux))
Kitten's Joy (El Prado x Kitten's First(Lear Fan))
Lammtarra (Nijinsky x Snow Bride(Blushing Groom))
Motivator (Montjeu x Out West(GOne West))
North Light (Danehill x Sought OUt(Rainbow Quest))
Peintre Celebre (Nureyev x Peinture Blue(Alydar))
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Much as I dislike Arazi (sorry, anyone who knows my feelings about him was probably expecting me to make a comment) I will make a suggestion here.

One of the top real life nicks is the one between Blushing Groom and Nijinsky. Horses produced from this nick include Lammtarra, Quest For Fame, Fantastic Light, Sky Beauty, and Wandesta. Since Arazi is by Blushing Groom, I'd start looking at Nijinsky's descendants for ideas. But not Lammtarra, since he's out of a Blushing Groom mare, unless you want to try 2x3 to Blushing Groom. I love Blushing Groom.

However, Blushing Groom/Nijinsky normally means turf and I'm not sure your mare is too turfy. Her sire is a son of Storm Cat who is turfy in the SIM but her dam is out a Silver Charm mare and he is not turfy. Since your mare has no turf experience we're not really sure which way she'll lean.

See if you can find a good Nijinsky descendant who leans more towards dirt. Mmmm, maybe Tremendous...his dam Pike Place Dancer is a granddaughter of Nijinsky. See what Eric thinks first though.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

A 2 x 3 to Blushing Groom sounds appealing to me.
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

But only if the mare in question is also turfy. This is an important aspect that people often forget to look at.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Just in general, your mare has a screwed up pedigree. Arazi/Storm Cat suggests turf all the way. Silver Charm suggests dirt. The saving grace of this pedigree is that as you follow the female line backwards, you get to Classical Charm, who is most notable as the dam of A Class Act, who in turn is the dam of the one-time wonderhorse Herkemayah (by Trophy).

Trophy has some Blushing Groom in him, and my recommendation would be his son Kentucky Trophy (Trophy x P Cubed, who is a Priceless Forever x Pike Place Dancer mare). Pi Kappa Dancer is the best support for a PPD line mare enjoying turf, though there's reason to think that Derby Dancer and a few others would have enjoyed it. You get some slick Blushing Groom inbreeding without going 2x3 (I've said it before and I'll say it again; its so unusual in real life that I won't endorse it in the SIM until its proven itself once or twice again), and hopefully (especially given what I'd expect to be an explosion of Sunday Silence line horses on turf) a turf-leaning horse. At best, its the safe bet that gives you a turf horse if indeed your mare is turf while leaving the loophole open for a dirt runner.

As far as your own stallions, I'm not going to comment on specifics; there would be positives to some and negatives to others. If you're buying mares for your stallions, know what you're buying and buy appropriate mares for them or its a waste of your money and your stallion's reputation when he throws terrible runners. Otherwise, buy the best mares you can, and if one happens to cross well to your stallions, so be it: breed them. Otherwise save your money, breed your mares to stallions that fit them instead of trying to force them around your own stallions, and leave it at that. To illustrate that I practice what I preach, take a look at my foal crops at the end of the year, I'm currently planning on breeding roughly 55 yearlings, and despite a very solid lineup of stallions (Prefamageps, Icon, Impressive, Empire Maker, Ghostzapper, and Saga at the end of this year), about 20 will be by those 6 stallions, thats only 3 to most of them and 4 to a pair of them, mostly because those 20 mares were purchased with an eye towards crossing to my own stallions (generally; Silver Charm line mares to Prefamageps, classic Silver Charm-free mares to Saga, Symbol mares and similarly bred things to Ghostzapper, a variety of things to Empire Maker, and a few experiments with Icon to figure out what he's doing).
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Although Silver Charm is mainly known for dirt I did see a few of his offspring that did run on turf and I also some some that didn't try turf but their dam's pedigree seemed to say turf. So it is possible in some cases that a Silver Charm offspring could run on turf.
When I first started the game I thought that Seeking the Gold was mainly dirt but then I came across offspring of his that either ran on turf or produced turf.
I wish Electrocutionist would work with her but I am concerned since he is out of an Arazi daughter and she is an arazi daughter that the arazi might be too close in the pedigree. He can run both dirt and turf in real life so it is possible he could produce dirt and turf.
I could use Fuji Kiseki since he does produce dirt and turf in real life. Jsut not sure how Sunday Silence would cross with Arazi, Sea of Secrets, or Silver Charm.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Thanks Eric for your input.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

In regards to a few things:

I'd bet decent amounts of money that Electrocutionist will produce turf and almost exclusively turf. Go ahead and try him producing dirt if you find the right mare, but my experience is that horses almost ALWAYS produce horses that run like their pedigree, not racetrack performance, suggests when you're considering surface preference. This is NOT true for class determinations: high class runners tend to produce high class runners, and dogs produce dogs regardless of how pretty their pedigree. I wouldn't mess with 2x3 to Arazi in an already difficult mare, but I've said that already.

Your mare will, as I said, produce turf in all liklehood. Silver Charm is sufficiently far back in the pedigree to not be a significant influence as far as surface preference is concerned. If you'd like to prove me wrong and find a horse with Silver Charm prominent that can run on turf, be my guest, but as someone who became (by necessity) an expert on what Silver Charm could and couldn't do (I used to have insane amounts of Silver Charm blood in my broodmare band), I'll only give you the friendly warning that in my estimation, you're fighting an uphill battle, and breeding is too complicated as it is to mess with something like that with any reasonable hope of success.

Think of it this way: there are 200+ stallions out there, and there's no reason to try and make a square peg fit in a round hole if there are 10 horses out there that already fit well. Breeding isn't hard unless people insist on making it hard, and trust me when I say from experience that getting Silver Charm line horses to run turf is going to take some concerted, possibly futile work.
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

Wait, I'm confused now. Is inbreeding to Blushing Groom good then? Or not?
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Nobody's quite sure whether inbreeding to Blushing Groom is a good thing or a bad thing. Its something that has the potential to be very goo or very bad, and there's not really much of a way to find out except to try it. Its like I said before though, a risk that I'll let someone else take before I'm confident enough in a 2x3 cross to venture it myself (a littttle bit hypocritical of me, since I intend on breeding one foal that will be 2x3 to Storm Cat, but alas, rules are made to be broken). Regardless of whether its effective, close inbreeding tends to produce unsoundness; handle a very inbred foal with caution.

Inbreeding 2x2 is NEVER a good idea, regardless of the horse you're breeding. Avoid at all costs 2x2 inbreeding to stallions like Priceless Forever, Storm Cat, Silver Charm, or other unsound horses, and at ALMOST all costs for all other horses. 2x3 is something to be careful with, but in the old SIM, a 2x3 cross to Storm Cat could be very effective.
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Eric doesn't need to worry about testing out 2x3 himself because he knows I'll test it out plenty for him. :)

I would think inbreeding to Blushing Groom would be a good thing and I would like to try it. Especially since the further I look into it, the more I realize he's a pretty decent dirt sire too. I still don't think that mare is the place to test out inbreeding to him, however.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ara's a real good test subject; of the several top breeders in the game she's the most pro-inbreeding; Brianna dislikes it muchly (though she's had the most success with Arazi... maybe that should say something about inbreeding with Arazi); I'm wavering right now. Ara's also got good mares; if her foals don't run we can point to the inbreeding as the cause rather than general lack of class on the mare's part, which you might have to question should you breed an average mare to test out inbreeding.

Anyway, here's to the voluntary guinea pig! We love you Ara!
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

No, I am a real good TESTER, I am not a good test SUBJECT. I have no intention of inbreeding myself to Blushing Groom, especially as I have no Blushing Groom in my pedigree.

:D
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Ara you so just made my night. I really REALLY want to keep going with this thread but I'd have to kick myself out of my own forum, so I shall remain silent. But I'm sure you can IMAGINE what I'm thinking.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

Em! That is DIRTY.