Groupies...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

I wonder if anyone else has this experience...

Living far away from any race tracks, I don't get to go to too many live races...

I only went to 4 this year - Bluegrass Stakes Day at Keeneland, the Aristides Handicap at Churchill (to see Fog run), Shadwell Turf Mile day at Keeneland and the Breeders Cup...

Completely and totally unintentionally, I saw Kelly's Landing (my son) all 4 times...

I also managed to see Spanish Chestnut (somewhat on purpose - he's my favorite horse...I have a picture I took of him framed in my den...kinda knew he was going the first time, no idea the second time...considering they were talking about running him in the JCGC) twice...

Then there are horses that I go specifically to see...like Lost in the Fog :(...

So...does anyone else have a horse that they seem to always see at the track? And have you ever driven a couple of hundred miles out of your way to see one horse run 7 furlongs?
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

CONGAREE! I love him to death, but it seems like whenever I went to the track it was never to specifically see him run. I can't remember anymore what I was present for, but the list includes:

Wood Memorial
Preakness
Jim Dandy

Cigar Mile

Carter Handicap
Breeders' Cup Classic
Cigar Mile

That are the only ones I can recall off the top of my head.

I miss seeing him!

The farthest day trip I've made for racing was to Saratoga for horses like A P Valentine, Shark and Azeri. Otherwise I tend to spend the night.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

I cant remember seeing any I saw a lot of on accident, but there were certain ones I saw as often as possible, like Mayakovsky (while he was in Cali) and Azeri (while she was in Cali).

I tend to run into the same QHs more often, though. I've seen No Secrets Here run at least three times, and one of those was the his win in the All American Futurity, which I drove 8+ hours to see.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

at my local track right now when I went this past year I went on purpose to go watch locally bred Gus Again, whom I have been watching for years, Elite Mercedes who just arrived in mid summer as well as Empress Pegasus, and for last few years as well Remiewaterbluz a wonderful mare who gives it her all in every race whether it be an allowance or a stakes race

years ago back in late 80's early 90's it was Northern Debut
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Lysse... no mention of Pete or Scooty?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

There have been tons of horses like that for me - Buckland Manor stands out as a good example. I was at several of Lava Man's races before he became big, now I go to see him on purpose of course.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Susie Raisher wrote: Lysse... no mention of Pete or Scooty?
How could I forget them, especially Pete! I miss that horse. He's just not the same without his pink.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Well, I am a Henny Hughes groupie!!!! I heart me some Henny.

However, I've only been to one of his races- the BC sprint... so maybe I am bad luck? :blink:

I did drive 7 hours to be there though. :D
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Yell's groom called me a stalker.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

This spring and summer, it seemed like a horse named Archers Alyancer was running every single time I went to the track or even watched on TV. Just a claimer, nothing special (except for being a son of Archers Bay :wub: ) but it was eerily coincidental how often my trips to the track coincided with his races.

I saw Sky Conqueror, Jambalaya and Last Answer run three or four times this season, too, but that was by design.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

Ara Davies wrote: Yell's groom called me a stalker.
Yeah...Spanish Chestnut's groom kinda gave me a look when I called him his barn name..."Go get em, Conejo."
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I travelled to Keeneland from MN in October 2004 to see Azeri. I also made my mom buy BC tickets in 2002 so i coudl see her. But that wasn't as far away. The main reason that i went to the Lone Star BC was for Azeri as well. The other times she ran it was super far from me.

I saw Roses in May run 3 times, not purposely. I saw him in an Allowance at keeneland in 2004 when we were there for the Bluegrass (might have been Lexington weekend). Saw him in the Cornhusker when my friend and I drove down last second to see her fave horse Perfect Drift run. And then i saw him in the 2004 BC Classic. It kinda makes me sad that I saw him run as many times as Azeri.

My current horse to stalk is Rock N fire, but he's easy since he runs at CBY and I know the trainer, well and Rock. LOL I heart my Rock. I can't wait for him to return to me!
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Do my own horses count? I tried VALIANTLY to get back to Penn National from Pimlico over Preakness weekend a few years ago to see my horse Victory Prospector run (didn't work). But other than that, I was at most of their races except the times I was living in Kentucky. I also skipped classes to see Floating Island run at Keeneland, and I can say I was at Half Ours' first two races before he went on hiatus, as well as saw him sell at Keeneland. I also went to Philly Park specifically to see Speak Compelling run a few years ago. And I'm going all the way down to Kentucky to see Ingot sell next month at Keeneland!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Horse I ALWAYS seem to run into is Longfield Spud at Charles Town. WV bred, low level stakes winner, always hard knocking. I don't even know if he's in training anymore.

Oh, and Funny Cide. I think I've seen him run on undercards about a half dozen times.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

The horse who seems to follow me EVERYWHERE (and, wow, do I mean everywhere), is Dixie Colony who's followed me to Laurel Park, Pimlico, Colonial Downs, and even Great Meadows! Great Meadows, Virginia's steeplechase/timber course...he's run there both times I've been there.

Very odd.

I think I have 20719376016 pictures of him 'cause those kind of horses just demand your attention...that and the damn horse just doesn't know how to lose when I'm around. I guess you can say I'm his lucky charm.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.