Mixer Suggestion...

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Mixer Suggestion...

Post by J K Rowling »

This isn't that big of a deal but it bothers me a little. When breeding a mixer, the colors are a little messed up. I only have paints so I don't know what the options are for the other breeds.

- Dun is listed as "d-Paint" when it should list "d-dun".
- Dark bay is not a registrable color for both AQHA and APHA, so maybe we should toss it? (Or pair it with brown like the TBs)
- Bay roan and red dun are not available but are registrable colors for AQHA/APHA/ApHC.

Like I said, I don't own any mixers other than Paints but these are just the problems I noticed.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Re: Mixer Suggestion...

Post by Melissa Mae »

I personally like dark bay. Just my 2 cents.
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

My Appys all have "d-Dun" in their color palette. Might be a bug for just the paints?

I vote to keep "Dark Bay". Although it might not be an official AQUA or APHA color, it helps the SIMplayer visualize a light vs dark color bay, rather than just have "bay". It also helps the artists. ;)

As for roan, there are 3 options in the SIM: Roan, Blue Roan and Red Roan. "Roaning" is a genetic factor that is applied to the horses' base coat color. Therefore, a Red Roan is a chestnut base and a Blue Roan is a black base. I was always under the impression that the "Roan" color in the SIM was understood to be a Bay Roan, so adding in a separate Bay Roan color would be a duplicate.

The SIM doesn't have the distinction between Dun and Red Dun (although Grullo is available), but then again we have Sorrels and Chestnuts and aren't they suppose to be the same?

I for one think that color genetics IRL can be a rubberband ball of mess and overlap, and while not all of the colors may be represented in the SIM, sometimes simple is easier. :D
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

It must be a mistake for paints then, because we only have blue roan and red roan available, no roan or bay roan.

Yeah, I don't understand why there's a chestnut and a sorrel. They're the same color but AQHA allows them to be separate.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Julie Kluesener wrote:- Dun is listed as "d-Paint" when it should list "d-dun".
This is fixed!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

aqha(quarter horse) colors...

sorrel, chestnut, black, brown, bay, buckskin, dun, red dun, palomino, grulla, blue roan, red roan, gray, bay roan, perlino, cremello, white.

there are other colors, like champagne, brindle, pearl, silver dapple, etc...but the above colors are the ONLY colors CURRENTLY acceptable for registration with aqha.

apha(paint)....exact same colors as aqha except white.

aphc(appy)...exact same colors as aqha except sorrel and chestnut are used like jc uses dark bay/brown....and cremello/perlino is one option instead of seperate, and dark bay/brown are together instead of seperate.

any color that can occur in AQHA can also occur in APHA and ApHC....but there's not always a color option. an example, dunalino is a palomino with dun factor...in the old days, these horses were registered as red dun, but they're NOT red dun, they carry the creme gene. nowadays, they're registered as palomino, but also have it notated on the registration papers that the horse has a dorsal stripe. same with dunskin(buckskin dun). champagnes and pearls are misregistered as cremellos usually.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

And half the time if your horse's color is even a little bit off, both APHA and AQHA flip out and register the horse a different color. Oh how I love dealing with those associations.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

aqha is TRYING to catch up on color genetics....can't say the same about apha though.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Very true. The number of unique colors for quarters is incredibly large. I don't think it would be practical for the SIM to make all these colors available. Yet with colors like dun/grullo and red/blue roan available, it would be nice to complete the trio and make red dun and bay roan an option.

Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

LaDonna King wrote:aqha is TRYING to catch up on color genetics....can't say the same about apha though.
APHA just copies whatever AQHA does like 2 years later. I usually know that there's a new rule coming in the APHA if the AQHA changes something.
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

yep. just like the stupid one paint parent rule...uggg..that was apha's response to aqha accepting crop outs....
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Red dun was added as a color choice
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

wahoo! thanks em! red dun is one of my favorite colors!
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Yayyy thank you Em :D

Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

Is it just me or was w-white taken away as a color choice for Appaloosas? I bred two whites together today so wanted to make a white baby but didn't find it there. :( Poor Frosty won't have any white babies.
Gateway Farms