News suggestion

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dan Gordon
Listed Stakes Winner

News suggestion

Post by Dan Gordon »

It always seemed to me that there should be a chart on your front page which gave you the highlights from the most important races of the last race day. I know that you could dig it out of the Forum under Thoroughbred Racing but usually that are people talking about their own horses. What if you simply had the results of the 3 biggest stakes races and mentioned anything else unusual, i.e. 99 Speed Figure, New Player wins 3 races, Zipless II goes wire-to-wire in a $5k claimer, etc.
I'm sure that there is the practical obstacle of somebody actually writing. But we have zillions of Previews in the Feature Race Articles but rarely does anybody summarize what just happened. Maybe the Edge could include this? Again, I'm not giving any solutions but just wanted to see if I was by myself in this quandry.
Andy Gol
Grade 2 Winner

Re: News suggestion

Post by Andy Gol »

Kind of like it...although I'm not sure how it would work. A while back I suggested altering how Feature Race articles worked...where you could "tag" articles with horse names or owner names which would allow users to search through the articles quickly looking for something they were interested in. And then tagged horses/owners would automatically have their articles show up on their pages.

So if you did that, then users could set up "alerts" for any topic. So if there was a topic like "Big Races" or something...if a user tagged an article about a big race, it would end up in the users alerts.

So...maybe something like that?

ETA - The other benefit here is that, aside from the initial overhaul, there wouldn't be any real change in the amount of work anyone did and you'd get the results you kind of want. Like...Em wouldn't have to babysit writing about a big race or pay any user to adequately do it.
Bradley Davis
Eclipse Champion

Re: News suggestion

Post by Bradley Davis »

I like the idea of tagging horses, races and owners in feature race articles.

One thing that might help sort out one of Dan's concerns (heaps of race previews, far fewer reviews) would be to simply split the 'Racing' section to have separate areas for previews and reviews. That way the race reviews would become more accessible, and interested parties wouldn't have to wade through the previews which inevitably swamp the race recaps.

Out of curiosity, can one embed links into the Feature Race articles? I have never tried, but it would make it a lot easier for readers to actually engage the material and check out the horses or races the authors are writing about. If it's possible, I'll certainly include links to the race and horses in future articles.