Very Disappointing Week

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

I had a horrid race week with the exception of one winner. I believe it had to do with race instructions hurting my horses more than anything. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure out what race instructions you do. I don't know whether to just let the horse decide or pick on my own(It seems that I have the worst possible ability to pick out the correct racing instruction).

Tammy
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

I would imagine that the jockey instructions affected everyone equally, so perhaps it was just an unlucky week. I had all of my unraced horses on "let the horse do what it wants" (or whatever that last box is called). I gave instructions for the few horses that I knew their style. Now, with a race under their belt and running lines for all (thanks Em), I can make adjustments for their second time out.

Daryl
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Yeah, I hurt a good many horses with my jockey's instructions but I also got lucky with some- so I actually had a fantastic week! Five winners, including Succcessinthecity in the Awesome Storm Stakes! So YAY! I am very happy with this week. :D
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

You mentioned you that you new some of your horses running styles. Well, how do you know them. On the ones I raced in week one it talked about them stalking the pace, etc Am I to assume that that means they like to stalk the pace. I think that is the biggest question I have. How do I know if that is the right jockey instruction. I honestly have no clue as to how these horses are suppose to run and I am still trying to figure out the running lines from week 1.
I am just having a hard time of it right now. It is frustrating for me. Makes me want to retire my undefeated daughter of MTT just so I don't * her up like I am obviously doing the rest.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

For the most part, I just let the horses roll this week, with no specific instructions. With the running lines (and thanks SO much for them, Em!) you have much better feedback, and you can adjust. The jockey instructions were a wild card, but they were a wild card for everyone.

Before you go changing jockey instructions around too quickly, keep in mind, that if you said "go to the lead" and everyone else said "take way back", the reason you won might have everything to do with the pace scenario, but in actuality, the horse does best midpack. Similarly, if your horse dueled and tired, he might actually be best as a frontrunner, but was unlucky to catch a race where everyone was sent to the lead. The result (tiring/closing late) also might have something to do with the distance, and the respective ability at that distance for each horse in the field.

It's an extra tool that can help or hurt; we're all on a learning curve on this one, and ultimately, I think it brings a nice extra to the game, if you're willing to put in a little time. But I think it's a mistake to attribute the be-all/end-all of the result to the jockey instructions - things like class, ability at the distance, amount of rest, etc., also play into the final result.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Tammy -

In response to your most recent post (and keep in mind, we're all newbies with respect to jockey instructions, so take this with a grain of salt) - my advice to you is, when in doubt, leave it on, Let the Horse Decide.

I also think, if the horse lost/won, it isn't necessarily enough to look at "ran midpack". What did the winner do? Did he get loose on a lead? Did he benefit from a speed duel that fried the rest of the field. Was the horse simply the best, and it didn't matter what the pace scenario was - he would have won the race, no matter how many times it was run. There's going to be a style that each horse likes best, but there's also going to be a different pace scenario for every race. This will all be much easier to figure out, once the horses have two or three races with comments. You'll be able to look and see how your horse has fared, and how the toughest competitors in that race have fared. If they're all need the lead, maybe you gun it, and hope they take back, or maybe you take back and hope they speed duel themselves into submission.

It's a neat feature, but not necessarily an easy one, so again, when in doubt, go with Let the Horse Decide. That's what I'm doing.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

It's weird, I actually did alright with the jockey instructions. On all of my horses, they either ran stalking the pace or midpack. I had three winners and five others hit the board from 11 starters. Not bad, not bad.

Shetalkstoangels was all out to beat a very sharp field in the Santa Monica, winning by a neck. She's such a tough girl, I'm so proud of her. She's never been worse than second. I've been torn lately between whether she'll continue competing against the girls, or move on to the boys. The male sprint division is a tough one...

But my most interesting win this week came from an auction purchase, Stop and Stare. He's by Storm Cat out of Tranquility Lake, I picked him up for $15,000, and he blew away a maiden field by 4 1/2 lengths, but check out his racing line: "Reluctant to load, delayed start, broke a step slowly, fought rider for the lead, drew clear, green stretch but driving." What a punk colt! This is my first tempermental horse, but he's good, so I'm kind of nervous about managing him. They didn't disclose his attitude at the sale, but I still probably would have bought him. Haha. :rolleyes:
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

Chaos Kitty - ran near the back of the field. As I bought her as a broodmare prospect, I don't mind that much.

Always A Woman - ran last, need to fiddle with distance, surface, or whatever.

Inner Harbor, the first granddaughter of Les Batons Magique to run, ran out of track in the Jennifer Stewart. Need to get her to go a little sooner, I think.

Le Chateau Magique - won the Lane's End, beating a very good horse in Chart. He is now going to be aimed for the Triple Crown. With luck, he'll be at least as good on dirt as his half brother was on turf. I love that entire family.

Awake showed some speed, perhaps needed a little more distance, I need to think on him.

Licence To Kill was incredibly nervous and green in his race, needs more direction, I think.

Sparkleofyourvoice ran a promising fifth, probably not a sprinter.
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Era destroyed an allowance field, as I'd hoped she would... I was a little miffed about bringing last year's top 2yo sprinter back in an allowance race, but if I've gotta do it that way, as least it was a 9-length victory margin to make her point.

Strongerable ran the field off their feet in the Arizona Derby. Derby Colt #2. (Edict won last week, he's my Derby Colt #1)

Righteous got up in time in the Aventura; he'll improve even more with more distance, he's Derby Colt #3.

Loki Empire took a stakes from a half-sister to Accolade who is by Jet Ski, she's Conduit x Loki Paradise (giving Loki Paradise 2 stakes winners on the week; she's also the dam of Righteous), so that made me happy.

Image (Storm A Fortress x Loki Reflection) dusted a field in a 5f maiden race, turning in the fastest time over 5f for a 2yo this week. :56 flat, which I'd expect to project out to a 1:08.1 time over 6f, if he runs his last furlong a full second slower than his average over 5f, which is freakishly fast for a horse that I hadn't anticipated to find his best stride until he got at least a mile. I'm stoked for him.

A bunch of well bred fillies showed some decent promise, but a bunch also flopped... I'll give them all one or two more shots and get rid of the ones that don't show much, and go from there.

Edit: I'm preferring to ignore jockey instructions for now; if a horse needs them it'll show up in running lines I think... Leaving it to them worked pretty well for me though.
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

This probably was one of my worst weeks in the sim...my horses couldn't find the winner's circle and there were some miserable performances! Hopefully next week will be better.....