Other Breeds Of Horses That You Like

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

Well, I guess I should plug my favorite breed even though I suspect a lot of simsters have never seen one ;-).

<a href='http://www.gypsycobs.fsnet.co.uk/' target='_blank'>http://www.gypsycobs.fsnet.co.uk/</a>

The breed I'm talking about is what is called in England the 'Traditional Colored Cob', also sometimes referred to as 'Gypsy Cobs' or 'Gypsy Horses'. It is *not* the same as what is marketed in America as the 'Gypsy Vanner', American breeders are buying mostly Irish stock and stock sold off for being too large and drafty and breeding to a different standard, producing a small draft horse or vanner that bears only slightly more resemblance to its island original than the American 'Shetland' (Don't get me wrong, American Shetlands are pretty, but...come on...so not the same breed ;-))

Although these horses are not a stud bred breed (There are multiple registry associations, but all are still 'open' books, there's technically no such thing as a 'purebred'), they are *very* popular in England and definitely bred to a standard type. The horse should stand between 14 and 15.1 and be of a cob, not draft type, that is to say, a short coupled body, thick arched neck and short legs with strong bone, short cannons, and any kind of leg fault being considered bad. Hooves should be small and tight, suitable for crossing rough country or navigating narrow roads and paths. The head should be a cob or pony head, a 'draft' head is considered a fault in England (Although not in Ireland, where a slightly larger head is normal), that more resembles the head of the Welsh Cob than anything, a slight dish to the face is considered highly desirable. The mane and tail should be long and full, although occasionally a thin mane and a rat tail show up courtesy of the existance of the Lp gene in the breed, although Lp spotting itself is rare, perhaps because the 'standard' does require a very full mane and tail, neither of which should be trimmed. Full feathering should be present (And should also not be trimmed). The 'standard' also requires a quiet temperament, and a good breeder will not use any horse that cannot be handled and ridden by a young child...even stallions. The ideal color is black tobiano, bay tobiano is also common. Grey is considered undesirable in England, but acceptable in Ireland, and roan is *very* common in Irish cobs. Overo tends to be culled out, the only 'overo' cob I ever saw was gelded. Lp does exist in the breed, and is fairly common due to the English superstition that striped hooves are sounder, but the PATN genes that make appaloosa spotting visible are rare...I have seen one actual appaloosa spotted cob and a picture of one other...and unfortunately, the one I saw IRL was a gelding (Even more unfortunately, I turned down the opportunity to buy him. Sigh.). They are easy keepers and seldom need shoeing or supplemental feed.

These horses were created by the traveling people (mostly *not* gypsies, but actually predominately Irish in ethnicity) from a mixture of Irish cobs with Welsh Cobs and strongly influenced by the rejection by the WPCS of appaloosa and strong pinto patterns that were once common in the Welsh hill horses. Nowadays, their most common uses are as pleasure horses and for pony trekking and lessons...they are particularly valued as lesson horses as they tend to be cheap to feed, cheap to vet, even-tempered, and capable of carrying a lot of weight while still being easy to get on ;-). They are generally shown in their own classes both under saddle and in harness, and also do well in 'family horse' classes where a horse is ridden by an adult and a child from the same family. Most of them are light enough to be capable of low level jumping.

And I will admit. The reason I love these horses? Because I have seen them work five hour days barefoot, from pasture, with no supplementary feeding, never going lame, never throwing a rider or giving trouble (Except occasional laziness), never spooking at anything...and all of that as four year olds with 30 days training on them.

Sorry for the long post. And sorry if I come over as assuming everyone is clueless, but I've been involved in the Vanner/Cob debate with SO many people :-/.
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

TeriLawrence wrote: And I will admit. The reason I love these horses? Because I have seen them work five hour days barefoot, from pasture, with no supplementary feeding, never going lame,
Most any horse is better off barefoot. And if they are trimmed correctly and conditioned correctly, they can do the same. None of my horse wear shoes and they are all fine after the conditioning to get thier feet calloused. They also all get the "mustang roll" so that they can break over thier toe easier and not stess the joints/muscles. Horses lose traction when you put a shoe on, they don't gain any. It's the frog that provides the traction. I've had shoes on my horses baout 5 times. My old gelding need them to help keep his frogs off the ground to help with his thrush (3 times shod), my mare when she went down to the amish for intense driving training where she'd be on cement and dirt roads all day(her feet alomst loasted the whole time w/o shoes, but she got too short in the last week). My yearling gelding punctured his foot to the bone and need a plate over it.

I'm a huge advocate for not barefoot horses. Even in cases like Laminitis a proper trim angle can cure a horse much better then a shoe becasue w/o the shoe a hoof can expand and contract naturally, like it's supposed to. Clinton Anderson has gone to barfoot trims, the only shoes that he puts on his horses are the back sliders for the reiners.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

There are only three reasons I see that shoeing is important.. for riding on unsatisfactory surfaces (asphault), showing and corrective purposes. In the case of the first one, front shoes tend to be more needed than back shoes. However, 80% of the horses we rode on the trail were completely barefoot.. the other 20% needing correction.. and we rode for short periods on asphault
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

we shoe ours. my area is very rocky so the horses need the shoes so they won't get stone bruises as easily. i also have a mare who NEEDS shoes. we've tried the natural trim, letting her go barefoot, giving her every supplement imagineable for hooves, etc etc etc...she is not navicular, she has never foundered, however, without shoes she is dead lame....
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

I'm also all for shoelessness, unless totally necessary.

Gotta love them mustangs with their feet made of stone!
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

S.C. Burns wrote: I'm also all for shoelessness, unless totally necessary.

Gotta love them mustangs with their feet made of stone!
I know right! My farrier went to MT School for Farriers whatever it's actualy title, i don't know. BUt they went and studied the wild mustangs. They captured them, and dyed thier feet blue or purple or something like that. Then they recaptured them ~6 weeks later and saw exactly where it wore down and what part of the feet were used.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

ASchmidt wrote:
My farrier went to MT School for Farriers whatever it's actualy title, i don't know.

I met a lot of guys from the MT Farrier School. I was an RA in the dorm they stayed in. I graduated from Montana State in Bozeman in 2000. Those guys were awesome. They were so out of place though being stuck in the dorms like that, I felt bad for them. I do know, however, that they got a pretty amazing education there. They would come in so worn out at the end of the day and stinkkky ;)
Yes, it's one of the best schools for farriers in the country. He dropped out of Vet Schoolin MT to be a farrier. And the vet school there is super small and hard to get into. I love my farrier. LOL He is the best.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

MT is a great school. It completely eliminates shoeing disasters (I've seen a few) that occur from the current apprenticeship program.

I've only ever met one, though.
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

I agree. Horses competing at high level tend to need shoes because of what they are asked to do...racehorses, showjumpers, eventers, etc all need that bit of extra traction. In England, shoeing fores only is *very* common, especially for horses that show locally/occasionally. All of the school horses are shod, but the trails here *are* very rocky.
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

My grade mare went some years not shod and other years with shoes on the front particularly if I was riding the trails alot.
My arabian gelding always had shoes on because he was shown in english pleasure and had to have the weighted shoes with pads to help his action and even after his show career ended I kept shoes on him because he was such a tenderfoot.
My other horses I did not shoe but I also didn't have them long enough to really have to decide on it.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

One of my favorite riding breeds hasn't been mentioned here - the Paso Fino - amazingly smooth truely rocking horse gait. I also love the older type Morgans (the newer types are just not as bright or calm).
I'm just here for the fun of it
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Sorry to butt in on this farrier conversation, but count me in among the Arabian lovers! However, since I'm not an equestrian girl and have been around horses only once (circus ponies) I had to settle for drawing my dream Arab mare:

for larger versions and a description:
<a href='http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46586369/' target='_blank'>http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46586369/</a>

Anyways, I thought some of the other Arab lovers would appreciate it =D
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

Peihe thats beautiful!

I know alot of people who dont like the look of arabs but I do. I love everything about the breed- they just have my heart. I got to go to the Arabian nationals once. I was in Heaven. I also use to board at a stable where Joe Polo kept his halter training horses so I got to see some HUGE NAME ARABS! B) Gave me shivers to be able to stand outside their stalls and look at them, I got to pet a lot of them but was wary of the stallions lol. I loved watching Joe work with his horses.

But I like all horses unless they show me themselves why I shouldnt. I dont care much for Quarter horses myself, but they are all still nice. I joined a western horsemans club just cause their isnt an english one and I wanted to join a horsie club and I like them all. 95% of the club members have Quarters or Paints or Mixed stock type breed. Some of them show them in english but the big thing with them is the speed events. The have 4 shows a year and 2 have some pleasure classes in the morning and all speed events in afternoon and evening, the 2 more shows are of only speed events. Its fun to watch and I have been working with Crystal to do flags just for fun, but we dont stand a chance aginst the others LOL.

Another breed I really like but have never seen in RL is the Marwari horse. A desert horse, Similar to the arab breed- very rare ouside their native land, I think there are less than 50 in the U.S. here are some pictures. the tips of Their ears naturally curve inwards- some have ears that the tops touch or overcross one another. They are said to brave and very loving and heavier than an Arab. It would be neat to have one, but I dont think thats gunna happen.

Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Oh wow :o the Marwaris are beautiful! Are they all colored like that (sort of like Gypsy Vanners)?
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Nope, Marwari's can be a bunch of different colors. Though, in searching for photos of them online pinto does seem to be very common.

RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~