Breeders' Cup Expands To 2 Days, 3 More Races

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

The Breeders' Cup announced they added 3 new BC races for 2007, all worth $1 mil.

Hmmmmmm... they added a 1 Mile dirt race (The BC Dirt Mile, hmmmmm) and a 7f F/M Sprint (The BC Filly and Mare Sprint, hmmmmm).

They also added a 1 mile turf race for 2yos. So... guess I have to add that?

What frustrates me is that they also added 3 $250k stakes that week, which includes a 1mT race for 2yo fillies. So... colts get to run for a mil, and fillies for a quarter of a mil. That's nice.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Emily you really should sue them, i'm sure it's getting more and more like the SIM
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

It cracks me up! The SIM is modeled to be as close to real life as possible. This time, real life changes to be like the SIM.

What can we say? Em is a revolutionary!
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Geez, now I'm waaaaaay too excited for words. I haven't been to a Breeders' Cup in SOOOOO long!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

YES make a BC Juvenile Turf Mile! I would adore that. Of course, like you said, too bad fillies don't have one too... :D

:lol:
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Go ahead and add a BC Juvy Turf Filly stakes to the SIM, too. Real life is just sexist and ridiculous at times.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

I'm with Laura on this one! :D
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I wonder why it's only a mile?

I mean, I've always figured that the Juvi's should only be a mile anyway, but why should the turf horses get the break and not the dirt ones?
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

Erm the dirt horses have had the break for the past 20 or so years Bri. There's already a 1 1/16m Breeders Cup Juvenile on dirt and a Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies.

This race will however spell the end of the Johannesburg's, Wilko's and Arazi's going in the Juvenile when there's a race tailor made for them already. Can't see the turf Juvenile being anything more than a European benefit race (same as the Turf, Filly and Mare Turf etc). Good to get some international competition and there's no rule that says "girls can't run in the Juvenile Turf" or not that I know of anyway - might help with your Derby preps, I keep hearing about US turf horses coming to the Derby but none ever seem to make it.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'd have to agree with Martin on that one, we don't even run any 2yo turf races until the end of Del Mar here in So Cal... there *might* be one at Saratoga. There's never been a need for it in the US until the fall/winter of 3yo year, as far as I'm concerned.

Don't worry, was planning on adding both for the babies, just annoyed that it's not both in real life.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

Whee! That makes Isa HAPPY!

I can run my kiddoes at the BC now!

(the pain of being a turf breeder)
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

The Steward wrote: we don't even run any 2yo turf races until the end of Del Mar here in So Cal... there *might* be one at Saratoga
The PG Johnson (fillies, 1 1/16) and the With Anticipation (boys, 1 1/16) are relatively new additions to the stakes schedule (2 additions of each have been run). They're at the very end of August (29th and 31st this year).

Belmont has the Pilgrim and Miss Grillo, usually closing day of the fall meet... also 1 1/16th. They used to be graded but, and this will come as a shock to the BC committee, we don't really HAVE a 2yo turf division in this country, so they're not anymore.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Martin, you misunderstood Bri's post - which has more to do with why is are the turf juvy races only 1 mile, while the dirt juvy races are 1 1/16 miles. It would make more sense that the distances be reversed.

In real life, the BC Juvenile races were held at 1 mile for several years (1984, 1985 and 1987), and 9 furlongs in 2002 - I've never really understood why they ended up switching to 1 1/16 miles.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

Thanks Laura.. I was rambling about the distances. If they aren't going to be the same, it just seems silly.

I think the sprints all should be the same distance as well, to be perfectly honest.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Wow, this is something. What about the SIM Turf 2yo Triple? Will be interesting to see how many forego the 2yo triple for the BC. Well, this certainly changes my plans for my current 2yos. :)
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500