Disney Marathon

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Well, I ran the Disney Marathon on Sunday. The heat - for a marathon - was brutal. Never below 70 degrees with just a gaggle of humidity. I couldn't imagine a more difficult scenario for a marathon in January. Anyway, I really struggled the last six miles (about 65-66 minutes depending on official or net time) after getting well within range of my goal of four hours. Instead, I finished in around 4:09, which is respectable, but leaves me completely disappointed in myself after all I did to get read for the race. Needless to say, training in 50 degree weather tops and trying to translate that form to 75-85 degrees as it was on Sunday was something for which I just wasn't prepared. My choice of clothing certainly didn't help either as my shirt weighed probably five pounds by the time I got to mile 20 with all of the sweat and water I had poured over myself.

This was my second run, and I've definitely got the bug now. I can't let all this training go for naught - another race is on the way in the next few months!

I know Laura F. was also running, and I hope she did well. Having huge crowds cheer us through the Magic Kingdom was phenomenal.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

At least now you know how Funny Cide feels running in the heat. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Yes, I am apparently the Funny Cide of marathon runners. Barclay Tagg would surely have scratched me on Sunday morning.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'll let Laura post for herself but she told me she really struggled with the heat badly.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

It's unfortunate the marathon wasn't run a few days later because the high today is only 65 and I'm currently freezing INDOORS. :(
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I'm reasonably certain I could have met my goal if it were 65. No sense crying over spilled milk though. I'm just going to have to get out there and ao another.
IsaP

Post by IsaP »

There goes that whole running without being chased thing... I don't see the point in it.. now.. my sister would be all excited about someone running a marathon.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Congratulations J (and Laura too)!

Marathons are brutal, well I don't know personally, but I have watched them. I have a lot of respect for anyone who just finishes one. Then factor in the heat and humidity, wow.

I used to like running a long time ago, but was in an accident and running hasn't been very good since then. I don't know if I would have ever done a marathon or not, but that was the running I did - long distance. Of course I was skinny as a pencil then too.

B) :)
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Congrats you guys for finishing! The longest I've run in one go was 12 miles ...there was a time when I wanted to run a marathon, but my knees said no.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

Was this in CA or FL?

My mom ran a Disney marathon about 4 years ago in Orlando, and it was never above 60 degrees, which I'm sure was nice.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

This was at Walt Disney World in Florida.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Steph Wilder
Derby Contender

Post by Steph Wilder »

I was down there too. So, basically we had 4 simsters down there, and we didn't hang out, which is sad. Next time, next time.