Equestrian Studies

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Well, I'm a sophmore in High School and my counsler asked me to try and find what I would be interusted in doing as a career. When I learned that there were schools offering a bachlers degree in equestrian studies, I was thrilled. However, my mom wasn't thrilled with the whole idea. I personally love it though.

Her reasons:
1) I won't be able to live off the money that I will be paid
2) I have never competed, just figured out the sitting canter, and am just learning how to jump so I don't have enough experiane.
3) There are not enough jobs around (live in Illinois by Chicago though I can work anywhere)

Mine:
1) I'm not sure how dependable our slaery info was... people do live off it... and I don't need to have a ton of money to be happy, just enough to pay the bills and keep a roof over my head and food on the table.
2) Can't really argue here, but I have good ground handling skills and you can take classed in college and join the riding team.
3) I really have no idea.

So, since I really don't have much of a clue about the whole horse industry, it would be nice if anyone has any experiance in a horse related career, knows anything about it, or has ever participated in a equine program/team in college.
Thanks
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

wow, that was probably my longest post :rolleyes:
Kat Turnbull I
Miler

Post by Kat Turnbull I »

Hey Lynn,

I'm not an equestrian studies major, but I am working to complete a minor in equine science while majoring in agribusiness and rural development.

One thing that might benefit you (and appease your mother!) is to major in something else - business, marketing, finance, and accounting are four hot majors with unlimited career opportunities, and to minor in equine studies. So if for some reason you do not pursue a career with horses, you have something to fall back on. In addition, a degree in any one of the four subjects above (and several others) could land you any type of job with horses. Horse operations are not only looking to hire people with horse experience, but they also need: management/directors, financial analysts, accountants, marketing/development personnel, pedigree researchers, and any number of random office employees in addition to grooms, trainers, etc.

Have you thought of vet school with maybe an emphasis in equine?

I'm currently a junior at West Virginia University, and am on the ground floor for the new equine department which is continuously growing with each semester, and I'm in my third semester of teaching various equine related topics in a handful of the courses.

Though the majority of the students in these classes have some sort of horse experience, some do not have any at all - but they're all there to learn, regardless of their experience levels. One of my fellow horse judging team members started from scratch knowing lttle to nothing about horse evaluations, and I know several girls on the highly competitive WVU equestrian teams who had never ridden before coming to college.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I majored in Animal Production Systems with an emphasis in Bovine and Equine Management. I would make enough money to live on my own, if not for the 7 horse I own... LOL So i live happily at home. When i was 3 i told my mom i wasn't moving out, It wasn't a lie. LOL I did do a 3 month stint in VT which only taught me that I was right at 3... LOL

As for using my major i manage a small baording facility that I lease from the property owner. I also work full time in the INformation/Marketing/Most Valuable Player department at Canterbury Park. I really like both of my jobs.

As for riding experience, i trail rode for my whole life at the local place, my mom had a horse until I was 3, he had to be put down, and I bought my first horse when i turned 20. I've had 1 week of horse camp, and 3 formal lessons... LOL I ride to stay on the horse. I do understand the basic concepts, and teach kids about care and basic riding in my spare time. My mom seems to have me lined up with 6 more people to add to my 6 that I already have. It's more of a way to share my horses with other people while helping them build confidence on the ground and on the horse.

I went to college thinking Vet School, but found out that I am really, really bad at Chemistry... LOL PLus my bestest friend is a vet, so why do I need to be one.

If you can take the work the best money making horse job is being a farrier. My Farrier makes more money then his wife, who is a Pilot, when he is farriering full time. It's a killer on the back. But if you can go to a good school and apprentice with a good farrier. I prefer the natural tequniques, you cna get a lot of work. My farrier was appenticing another guy, who took over our horses for a bit, but the guy suddenly decided that he didn't want to, he was baout to hand him a 50 horse barn that pays well....

Anyway. It's not that most glamorous job, but it's a needed one, and it's never short on business.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

There's always the Race Track Industry Program, as well. Susie and I are almost alumni of their program and we're both pretty set for when we graduate.

While it's always iffy if you'll survive when you work more hands on with horses, the management positions at racetracks tend to be profitable, and with a degree like the RTIP offers, it's ridiculously easy to work your way up.

Of course, Sus and I are both going the hands on route, so we may be starving for a bit... but I'd like to point out that both Bob Baffert and Todd Pletcher are graduates, so it IS possible to be very successful.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

The RTIP program is really awesome, and I'd say look at that one first. However, you can totally get away with a "Business" degree by taking University of Louisville's Equine Administration program. It's a business degree... in racehorses. You take all the marketing, economics, statistics, etc, and it basically prepares you for life on the "front side" of the raceetrack. Most of the students work at Churchill Downs (or other close racing jobs) and everyone is hired right out of college (or while still in it).
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

Wow, thanks for all the advice! It's nice to know all the options.