Horse Problems

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

S.C. Burns wrote:
Emily Mitchell wrote:
Janey Adams wrote: You could always use the good old fashioned way of putting a rope halter on her and tying her to something sturdy, like a telephone pole. When I was like 9, and didnt no what I was doing I did that. My horse ties now. :D
Yes, but they can also break their own necks that way. I don't want that to happen. :(
If you use a rope halter correctly (or that chain method), it won't happen. The rope halter focuses the pressure onto the nerve endings behind her ears, which is a pressure point.

She'll stop pulling before she gets into trouble because her head'll hurt.

Try it on yourself: take your pointer finger, place the tip of it right behind your ear, and push as hard as you can. HURTS!

At this point, what she's learned is that pulling breaks her halter or lead and gives her what she wants. What you need to teach her is that pulling won't accomplish that anymore, and will instead accomplish something she really doesn't want...

Also, rope halters = amazing. They're great for teaching a horse not to bolt when being led, and to keep his hands to himself!
I wouldn't recommend anything with chain around the poll. A rope halter has some give to it, but a chain has none.

My mare hates sudden pressure on her poll and the harder you press the more the flips out. I've had to unlatch the quick release ends with her cross ties, Cause she will just lean all her wieght on it. Generally she is perfect but when she flips out, she goes for broke.

Horses learn from the release of pressure.

The Blocker Tie Ring teaches panicky horses not to be afraid. Cause they can back up to a comfortable distance, and it doesn't pull. I've seen the demo of a horse that went nuts tied to a post. They used the Blocker tie ring and took it step by step and the horse tied to the post after they were done.

Rope halters are the perfect tool to teach respect and space.