Race entries suggestion

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Race entries suggestion

Post by J K Rowling »

This isn't so much of a suggestion as I'm still brainstorming mode. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this, but I find entries to be a bit dizzying. It'd be nice to have a total revamp of the entries page. Of course this would mean lots of hours sitting around programming for Huff Daddy, but I think it'd make the game much more newbie friendly.

What would be cool:
1. Dividers or bolded lines between the racing dates. This would break up the huge long table and make it easier to enter horses on a strict 2 or 3 week schedule. Plus it would look prettier.

2. For each race day, organize entries by either A) distance from where the horse is or, B) by circuits. Yes, we have the circuit drop-down menu already, but its almost impossible to use within the US. There are several rarely used or tiny circuits (Ohio, anyone?) that are just inconvenient. Either divide it up by large sections (west coast, east coast, south, midwest/west) or just have one large section. This, however, would get a bit tricky since you have tracks like Canada and Barbados that are near the borders. Organizing entries by distance from the horse would be the best option (a la shipping to farms), but could be a hassle with programming. Organizing by circuit is a good alternative since all of Europe, US, South Pacific, etc. will be in one chunk instead of being spread throughout the page.

Thoughts?
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Re: Race entries suggestion

Post by Ara Davies »

I agree with the US circuits issue...there is no point to most of them at all. I would LOVE to see just three North American circuits: NA East Coast, NA West Coast, and NA Midwest. The Canadian tracks would fit into these too because the North American Jockey Club includes the US and Canada. I'd also love to see Mexico put into the Islands circuit due to its general proximity to those tracks.

As it stands, when I want to enter, say, my European horses, I can just choose the "Europe" circuit and don't have to worry about accidentally entering them in a race in Australia. But for my North American horses, I either have to choose circuits by state, one-by-one, or choose no circuit at all, which very often leads me to enter a North American based horse in some far-flung area of the world because I missed that that race was in Timbuktu or wherever.

And yeah dividing up or color coding the race days on the entries page would also really help since I also sometimes miss that a race is week 9 MONDAY instead of FRIDAY and accidentally enter a horse too soon after its last race.

My biggest issue with entering though is definitely the way the US circuits are arranged. I understand that one big US circuit might be a bit much due to the number of tracks (FAR more than in, say, Europe), but surely having three circuits instead of twenty (or however many there are right now) would be a lot more helpful to the majority of players?

Actually, what could be really helpful would be a dropdown box to choose the circuit (along with the circuit modifications discussed in this thread) and a separate dropdown box to choose the track (or even just the state/country). Sometimes I want to see just the races at Futurity Park or every stakes available in France or something. This would apply both to the entries page and to the stakes schedule.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

Yeah, I've found that using circuits for those in South Pacific, Europe, and South America are very helpful. I probably use gender and race type the most.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

Ara Davies wrote:I agree with the US circuits issue...there is no point to most of them at all. I would LOVE to see just three North American circuits: NA East Coast, NA West Coast, and NA Midwest. The Canadian tracks would fit into these too because the North American Jockey Club includes the US and Canada. I'd also love to see Mexico put into the Islands circuit due to its general proximity to those tracks.
I need a LOVE button for this. Every other circuit I use the circuit choice for but for my America horses I don't even sort because it takes more time to sort by all the circuits then it does to scroll down and find the tracks out of all the races, but I usually forget where the horse is and try and enter it in Ireland or whatever.
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

To add to the topic... further categories for steeplechasing could be helpful, like being able to choose Steeplechasing-South Pacific, Steeplechasing-Europe, and Steeplechasing-Mid Atlantic from the drop down list instead of/in addition to all 'chasing together.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Melissa Mae wrote:
Ara Davies wrote:I agree with the US circuits issue...there is no point to most of them at all. I would LOVE to see just three North American circuits: NA East Coast, NA West Coast, and NA Midwest. The Canadian tracks would fit into these too because the North American Jockey Club includes the US and Canada. I'd also love to see Mexico put into the Islands circuit due to its general proximity to those tracks.
I need a LOVE button for this. Every other circuit I use the circuit choice for but for my America horses I don't even sort because it takes more time to sort by all the circuits then it does to scroll down and find the tracks out of all the races, but I usually forget where the horse is and try and enter it in Ireland or whatever.
+1,000,000 to this. Yes pleeeease.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.