Under The Radar Derby Runners

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jack Heissenbuttel
Two Year Old

Post by Jack Heissenbuttel »

UNDER THE RADAR

IZZIE'S HALO
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

I <3 Buffalo Man.

That is all.
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

If you think that a horse is a bet against in the Derby just b/c his or her name is more than three syllables, that is crazy
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Nobody's saying a horse is a bet against, but there are definite trends in the Derby and this is one of them. Obviously, Seattle Slew, Secretariat, Count Fleet, Assault, Spectacular Bid, and many others wouldn't work in this particular instance. Let me find my list of things not to bet in the Derby; it's really rather interesting.

Citation, Whirlaway, Sir Barton, Nashua, Gallant Fox, Omaha, Sunday Silence, Silver Charm, and many others would work.

It's just a fun stat about Derby winners. Nothing more, nothing less.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Yes, but what percentage of entrants (GOOD entrants, we can ignore the ones who never had a chance) had names of three syllables? If it's the most common number of syllables in the names of decent Derby entrants, then of course the majority of Derby winners are going to have three syllable names.

It's like the statistics of how many horses have won from the auxillary gate. There's NO WAY for a horse to win from it in a year where it's not used. In other words, there is always a horse in post 1, but usually not in post 20. You have to look at the percentages based on how many times that particular post position was even used, not the actual numbers.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I think the last year we didn't have a full field for the Derby was sometime in the late 90's. There are lots of great angles though, many of which have been broken in the last ten years. Don't bet a gelding. Don't get a horse with RAN in their damsire line. Don't bet a horse with fewer than five career starts (I think this is a great stat personally).

Let me find the list of angles and post it. It makes good discussion fodder.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

J Slotman wrote: Obviously, Nobiz like Shobiz is a bet against, as are Street Sense and Hard Spun. Dreaming of Anna is right out.
Those were your words, thats why I said to call them a bet against, or any horse a bet against just based on syllables is crazy
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Sarcasm, people. I'm also not a believer in either Nobiz like Shobiz or Street Sense for May, so all the better.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Chief Talkeetna.

If he wins, will you all start breeding to Chief Seattle more? He deserves it!
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Found the angles. Discuss as you will:

1) Do not bet a gelding to win the Derby
2) Do not bet a horse that didn't have a prep race in April.
3) Don't bet any horse with fewer than 3 prep races since January 1st.
4) Don't bet a horse with fewer than 5 life time starts.
5) Don't bet any horse that hasn't had at least one prep race of 8f or longer.
6) Don't bet a foreign-based horse to win the Derby.
7) Don't bety any horse that didn't start at two.
8) Don't bet any "Late Nominee" to the race.
9) Don't bet a horse with a DI over 4.00 or a CD over 1.00.
10) Don't bet a horse with fewer than 16 points in DP, prefer at least 18.
11) Don't bet a horse with RAN Curse.
12) Don't bet winner of BCJ to win the Derby.
13) Don't bet a horse that finished out of the money in last prep.
14) Don't bet a horse with Damascus in sire's sire line to win Derby
15) Don't bet a horse that failed to finish in the top 4 in one of the following preps: Florida Derby, Arkansas Derby, Santa Anita Derby, Wood, Blue Grass, Spiral.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Only one horse starting with the letter "B" has won the race in the last 71 years....
Matt Heissenbuttel
Two Year Old

Post by Matt Heissenbuttel »

I have a derby betting tip. Dont bet on any horses tha tdont have four legs. Also dont bet on horses with no tails.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

In other words, just don't bet period :lol:
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown