Under The Radar Derby Runners

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Matt Heissenbuttel
Two Year Old

Post by Matt Heissenbuttel »

I know its only the middle of January but after the eclipse awards one can only wonder who will be the big names in horse racing this year. So I pose this question? Other than the obvious (Nobiz like Shobiz, Street Sense, Circular Quay), does anyone know some under the radar horses that may turn out to be a superstar on the first Saturday in May? Obviously January the 23rd is too early to know alot about some of the more promising colts but I was just wondering?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Tiago is being pointed for it now. He just broke his maiden and is a brother to Giacomo.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I would say Hard Spun was under the radar, but with the Smarty Jones/Afleet Alex Philly connections, he's already getting quite a bit of press for a G3 winner.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Exhale! Though Haskin has mentioned him a few times in his articles, no one seems to be seriously looking at him (aside from me of course! ;))

Tiago's really being pointed at it? That's pretty awesome.
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

The Steward wrote: Tiago is being pointed for it now. He just broke his maiden and is a brother to Giacomo.
I really like that colt.
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

The Green Monkey! Bwahahahaha...

Actually...probably not on the Derby radar...but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Holy Bull's brother Fregata runs.

I don't actually know if this really is Frank Calabrese or not...but..

<a href='http://www.dreamingofanna.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.dreamingofanna.com/</a>

If she actually does run in the Derby, I think she can definitely pull it off...
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Buffalo Man.

Buffalomanbuffalomanbuffaloman.

Never mind...I'm sure I just jinxed him...XD.
Anyway.
Goooo Buffalo Man.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

Blue Sky God
Cahill's Touch
Chief Talkeetna
Dreams of Thunder
Minefield
Ravel
Silent Soul
Soaring By
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

Forefathers......
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Just throwing it out there, but Dreaming of Anna isn't even close to some of the other fillies that have tried the boys in the Derby before. Sweet Catomine would have run her off the track, for instance.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

For those of you looking for under the radar Derby runners, look no further:

<a href='http://www.racingdispatch.com/poll.php?year=2007&week=1' target='_blank'>http://www.racingdispatch.com/poll.php? ... &week=1</a>

Incidentally, always remember that your Derby winner will, in general, be a 2YO winner and usually a 2YO stakes performer, and will have no fewer than five career starts prior to the first Saturday in May. There are a gaggle of other qualities you can usually look for in your average Derby winner, but those two are generally the most important, IMO.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Forgot to mention something else:

In general, Derby winners have three syllable names. We haven't had a non-three syllable name horse since 2000 win the Derby. In fact, only Charismatic, Fusaichi Pegasus, and Grindstone were not three syllable winners since 1990.
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

J Slotman wrote: Forgot to mention something else:

In general, Derby winners have three syllable names. We haven't had a non-three syllable name horse since 2000 win the Derby. In fact, only Charismatic, Fusaichi Pegasus, and Grindstone were not three syllable winners since 1990.
Thats just a coincidence.....
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Well, it's obviously just a coincidence, but 90 percent of all Derby winners in history have also had three syllable names. Until last year, we also had the RAN curse (broken by Barbaro, of course).

Good three syllable named horses this year would include Great Hunter and Stormello. Obviously, Nobiz like Shobiz is a bet against, as are Street Sense and Hard Spun. Dreaming of Anna is right out.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

3 syllables AND under the radar... Sightseeing