Selling Bred Mares

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Selling Bred Mares

Post by J K Rowling »

Is there a good reason why this has been disabled?
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Re: Selling Bred Mares

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

You can privately sell bred mares, but you can't put them up on the sales page, etc. It's been that way as long as I've played, mostly I think to protect the purchaser so they don't buy a mare they might not end up getting a foal from (buy a bred mare this year, barren next, etc).
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

I don't understand how that's reasonable though. You can sell bred mares in real life, why not the sim? If I look at a mare, I ALWAYS look at it's progeny and if it's been bred or not. Why should the sim go out of it's way to protect people from making a mistake? I shouldn't have to PM the owner just to buy a bred mare that I want.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

We used to be able to put bred mares on the sales page. If I recall correctly, this was changed because many new players (and even older players) weren't checking to see if the mare was bred or not before they bought it. It was quite an epidemic.

If this is something you feel strongly about, I recommend contacting the Steward with your argument. She'll be able to give you a much better answer then anything I only vaguely remember.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

You can also sell/auction them via the forum, if you want to sell a mare, so there's still ways to do it. You just can't put them on the sales page, or in an auction. It's been this way for several SIM years, now, probably 10 or so.

And, I'm confused by the second part of your argument. If you want to buy a horse that isn't on the sales page, you always have to pm the owner. Plus, if you were interested in a horse, you'd prefer it to be private offered, rather than put on the general sales page. You used to have to do it that way, and it required both the seller and the buyer to be on the sales page at the same time, and even then, there was one time I stumbled into the middle of the transaction and bought the horse out from under the prospective buyer, not knowing that was going on. I transferred the horse once the story was explained to me, but not all players would do that.