Feel Good Story!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

This is an amazingly sweet story. :)

Reynolds Wins HTA Caretaker Of The Year

February 2, 2007

Henry (Pete) Reynolds, an 88-year-old caretaker who looks after 12 horses at Riverbend Standardbreds in Jonesville, Michigan, has been named Caretaker of the Year by Harness Tracks of America and Hanover Shoe Farms.

Reynolds, who has been an owner, trainer, driver, breeder and catch driver for almost 50 years, now works full days at the Michigan farm and then drives to a local medical care facility where he serves as a volunteer, caring for and visiting with folks in the facility.

Although he looks after all of the dozen horses at Riverbend, Reynolds' favourite is the pacer Raiders Legend, a five-year-old who has finished first, second or third 33 times in 56 lifetime starts, and earned a modest $45,487 while taking a lifetime record of 1:56.4 over Hazel Park's five-eighths mile track.

Reynolds was nominated by attorney Brett Boyd, the owner of Riverbend Standardbreds.

Reynolds trained horses for Boyd's parents in the 1970s and 1980s, and Boyd's nomination letter read, in part: "You've seen and maybe even known someone who never has a bad day. They must have learned this from Pete Reynolds. He has been to the winner's circle many times, but he has also had many heartaches in the race we call life. Pete lost his wife of over 60 years a few years back and many wondered if Pete would still be Pete. I can't believe that we wondered.

"Pete's contagious smile, relentless work ethic and giant heart just can't be stopped. He has had numerous surgeries and a failing heart but this cannot stop Pete Reynolds. Pete doesn't take care of world champions or state champions, but he takes care of all of my horses like he wants to be treated: with a smile and a gentle hand.

"I must admit he has a favourite in Raiders Legend. Pete starts his days, seven days a week, at 6:30 a.m. sharp with a visit to Raiders' stall. There's a pat, then a hug, and then he gets his breakfast. Then it's off to the track with his favourite horse.

"Here's a guy that probably jogged a million miles, but he appreciates every lap he puts in on the track. Pete might be 88, but he has the heart and energy of an 18-year-old. He cleans stalls, empties manure buckets, trains, jogs, feeds, tacks on shoes and everything in between for my stable.

"Pete never misses a day. He won't take a vacation, he won't take a day off, and it's even hard to get him to take a coffee break, and he loves coffee. His spirit is unmatched in any person I know. His attitude is always positive and he is a man that has an unbelievable passion for people and horses. Pete is a true caretaker and I know of no one that truly cares for the horse more. I'm so, so privileged to have Pete by my side every morning. His years of experience, unbelieveable knowledge, unwavering support, unquestionable friendship and unparalleled caring spirit make Henry (Pete) Reynolds one of a kind!"

Reynolds, who will receive an oil painting of himself with Raiders Legend, was chosen by an HTA/Hanover committee consisting of current racing leaders who once served as caretakers themselves, or cared for their own horses.

The award is symbolic, typifying the best qualities of all caretakers, and all nominees receive handsome satin blue and gold jackets with HTA and Hanover logos, indicating their nomination for Caretaker of the Year.

The selection committee consists of Tom Charters and Moira Fanning of the Hambletonian Society/Breeders Crown; Ted Crowl, The Meadowlands; Ellen Harvey, Harness Racing Communications; Dean Hoffman, USTA; publicist Gen Sullivan; and Steve Wolf, senior VP, Pompano Park.

(HTA)
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Awwwww.

That's a really nice story.