Question About Storm Cat

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Katy Turner
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Katy Turner »

In the SIM, exactly how sound is Storm Cat blood known to be? It seems like the couple of top horses by his bloodline that I can think of right off the top of my head seem to race for quite a while. Thanks!
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

Pretty sound if you give the horse time to recover, same applies to most sires
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I use Storm Cat a LOT and I've never had any problems with soundness.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

I have several Storm Cat sired or damsired horses in my barn and have never had an issue with soundness.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

For my money, its all relative. Storm Cat in and of himself doesn't seem to give anyone many soundness issues, but there was a quirk in the old SIM where inbreeding to Storm Cat was about the best feature a horse could have in their pedigree. We'd sit around and wonder how to create a horse with 4+ crosses of Storm Cat, and any time you get a horse THAT inbred, you'll be running the risk of soundness issues. With just one or two crosses though, it shouldn't be a problem.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

Eric Nalbone wrote: We'd sit around and wonder how to create a horse with 4+ crosses of Storm Cat, and any time you get a horse THAT inbred, you'll be running the risk of soundness issues.
Unless you're me. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Ara Davies wrote:
Eric Nalbone wrote: We'd sit around and wonder how to create a horse with 4+ crosses of Storm Cat, and any time you get a horse THAT inbred, you'll be running the risk of soundness issues.
Unless you're me. :)
Somehow I don't think even you are immune from the soundness issues presented by a ton of inbreeding; you've had a few soundness issues over the last few years. That said, when you start with relatively sound mares in the first place, its going to be harder to breed fragile babies from those mares. Maybe its just my perspective, but there are some horses I'd be REALLY careful with, simply because of how much Storm Cat they carry (i.e. Trust).
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

The two horses I've had any soundness problems with in the new SIM, Calais and Choral, are outcrosses. The inbreds haven't been having any problems that I've particularly noticed.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle