Still slow Sim

Having difficulties? Ask here.
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kyasuriin Matsumoto
Hall of Fame

Re: Still slow Sim

Post by Kyasuriin Matsumoto »

Anything and everything is slow. It goes on and off. I'll have about a minute of fast/my normal internet speed for other web pages, and then about 10 minutes of slow/takes 30 seconds a page to load. It doesn't matter where I am, what I'm doing, or how many tabs I have open, but it's definitely the SIM. Sometimes I'm just go and open another website to pass the waiting time and it's usually up and opened 5 pages before the SIM comes out of hibernation.
Gateway Farms
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

I may have found something. Google used to load an average of 5,000 SIM pages per day. Recently it went up to 26,000. It seems like it was doing horse searches (which can be slow normally) - but they were doing hundreds of them. I have prevented Google from doing that sort of search. Let me know if there is a difference. There may be more to discover, but this may be significant.

Thanks for your patience and support.
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

It was extremely slow for me tonight when I was trying to enter, especially after I hit the button to actually enter a race. It got to the point where I'd go to other sites and be able to do things there before a sim page loaded.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

This is probably due to cron jobs more than anything else but at 6.04pm everyday my time (GMT+10), which I believe is about 1.04am Steward's time, the sim grinds to a halt. Without fail.

May or may not be relevant. Thought I'd point it out in case it is.
AT STUD
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

I would love some updated information on this topic. I made a few changes which may have helped the sim's performance. For now, it will probably slow down during race results and big auctions. The 1am PT slow down may remain although it should only be for a minute or two. Has anything changed/improved since this thread was started 2 weeks ago? Thanks.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I have actually not noticed a big lag in the Sim in the last days come to think of it! Will keep you posted if I do though. Thanks for working on it for us!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Chris Simpson
Classic Contender

Post by Chris Simpson »

find its running slow right now Sat 27 at 5pm est
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

Chris Simpson wrote:find its running slow right now Sat 27 at 5pm est
Very slow!

Looking at alerts, moving horses, breeding, using search page.

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.

Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

Super slow examining AJ sales horses or doing bloodline checks...purchasing horses...breeding horses....the loading time per page is between 45 seconds and one minute...
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Today is extremely slow, but I suspect that's more because it's being hammered with breedings, etc, rather than anything else.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

Still painfully slow!
9.30am UK time
10 users online

Approx 90 seconds to retire a horse, longer to use the search page!

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.

April Eddy
Derby Contender

Post by April Eddy »

I've definitely noticed the SIM running very slow the past several weeks. I know the cause is being looked into and things tweaked in hopes of it helping... but it seems to me it is even slower now then it was a week or so ago even. Like others' experiences, it is sporadic for me as well... sometimes it does run as fast as my computer will open any other web site. Most times it is excruciatingly slow... to the point I can't stand it and have to walk away and just try again later.

The slow loading is happening equally during off peak times and for pages I wouldn't expect to load so slowly (individual horse pages).

I've asked several of my friends if they have noticed anything and got resounding yes' that they have had trouble but thought it was their phones. I use a desk top PC to play.
The Admin
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Admin »

For what it's worth, my latest theory is that some function in the SIM is slow and locks out everyone else for a period of time. The actual server load is looking good. The fact that you can load a horse page and have it super slow, then reload it a moment later and have it be fast, proves that it's not an overall load issue and that it isn't the horse page itself. I am in search of which user-initiated operation is consistently slow and that might pause all other operations. Sorry that I haven't found it yet.
Still testing.

Thanks for the data points you guys give. I think we've established it isn't a specific time of day (other than possibly at midnight or 1am Pacific time). It isn't specific to the number of people using the SIM. So far, it isn't a specific page or operation.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

If people were interested in helping us determine the cause, here is a test you can use. Open two browsers (Firefox and Internet Explorer, or Safari and FIrefox, etc). In one browser, try to do simple things, like open horse pages. In the other, try to do big operations, such as loading the list of stallions when you breed a mare. See if you can find what operation is so slow that it causes the simple ones to hang up.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Re: Still slow Sim/ search function

Post by Marzy Dotes »

It's faster this morning for me than yesterday which was pretty slow for most functions (except Chat and forum). I did use FF 5.0 and Chrome together. Once I noticed that doing a search on FF appeared to slow down horse page loading on chrome but then the next time it didn't...it's like people said sporadic. But there's some delays in loading horse pages on one while doing searches on common words (i.e. "good"). Picked common words because it has to sift through more results in the search. I imagine the search mechanism is a pretty extensive process compared with loading the search page itself.

I ran searches on "bad" and "cool" on one browser, then tried to load the search itself (probably one of the quickest loading pages) and there was delays and the search page loaded just a couple of seconds before the search results came up on the other browser.

searched "tycoon" and that came up a little faster causing a slight delay to the loading of the search page which came up just before it but not as much as the searches on more common words. '

Loading "Awake as I am" did slow down the "search" function loading on the other browser but not as much as the previous searches as it brings up only one listing.

A period of time very slow, other times not and it doesn't time related at all. Like in other times, it was more at race time and big auction ends (especially if they coincided). For me, it's more noticeable in performing functions where packets get sent out (i.e. equipment, training, shipping and buying/breeding horses) but I think that's at least partially due to my internet connection which has flaky upstream capability.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke