Racing 101: The Series

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I posted an article today about racing terminology regarding siblings and the like. I'd like the article to become a series called "Racing 101" with articles written by anybody that has good knowledge of any aspect of racing. So please take a look at the suggestions in the first paragraph of my article and see what you might be able to write!
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Great article Ara!

But I do have a question- what would you call, I'll use examples, Castle In The Sky and Castledale? I would call them 3/4 brothers because... well, I don't really have a good reason, except that they are so closely related.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I can write one about race classes, like claiming, maiden claiming, maiden, allowance, and the levels of stakes races. Someone should write one about distances too, and what exactly a dirt sprinter, router, etc. are.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I'd probably call them close relatives, because I nearly always reserve the term "siblings" to horses who share the same dam. However, you do sometimes see the relationship you described as "3/4 siblings". If you did describe them as 3/4 siblings in an ad, I'd recommend pointing out that the dams are merely closely related and not the same mare to avoid confusing those of us who do consider siblings as sharing the same dam, period.

Here are some real-life examples of similar relationships:
Quick Action: described in his stud ad as "dam is by Storm Bird out of a full sister to the dam of America's Greatest Living Sire: Storm Cat". Note that Quick Action's dam Indian Sunset is a full sister to Battle Cry.

Battle Cry: in an article in the TT he is described as "closely related to leading sire Storm Cat".

I swear that somewhere I did see Battle Cry and Storm Cat described as 3/4 siblings, but of course now the only references I can find describe them as "close relatives". That should tell you something.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Ara Davies wrote: I'd probably call them close relatives, because I nearly always reserve the term "siblings" to horses who share the same dam. However, you do sometimes see the relationship you described as "3/4 siblings". If you did describe them as 3/4 siblings in an ad, I'd recommend pointing out that the dams are merely closely related and not the same mare to avoid confusing those of us who do consider siblings as sharing the same dam, period.

Here are some real-life examples of similar relationships:
Quick Action: described in his stud ad as "dam is by Storm Bird out of a full sister to the dam of America's Greatest Living Sire: Storm Cat". Note that Quick Action's dam Indian Sunset is a full sister to Battle Cry.

Battle Cry: in an article in the TT he is described as "closely related to leading sire Storm Cat".

I swear that somewhere I did see Battle Cry and Storm Cat described as 3/4 siblings, but of course now the only references I can find describe them as "close relatives". That should tell you something.
Yeah, I see what you are saying. I guess I am just trying to look for something to say they are more than just closely related- because all of Castledale's pedigree is found in Castle In The Sky's pedigree... just plus some. So, the same dam is in both pedigrees... just one generation back in one of them. I don't know- I guess I just like being able to point out extremely close relations more specifically, since "closely related" can be used very loosely... but then again I don't like explaining it, so I say "3/4 brothers". :lol: Oh well, I guess I can try not to be so lazy. :P
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I don't have any problem with them being described casually as 3/4 brothers, but if you were advertising Castle in the Sky for sale or stud and called them 3/4 brothers without pointing out what you meant about it, I'd feel it was a little shady.
- The Steward

- Bryan Doolittle
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

A 3/4 brother, to me, is like Exploit and his brother by Hennessy, Touchdown KY.

Exploit is Storm Cat x My Turbulent Miss
Touchdown KY is Hennessy x My Turbulent Miss

Since Hennessy is BY Storm Cat, it's makes them more than 1/2 bro's, hence the 3/4.

That's how I've always figured it, anyway.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

i'm lost. Someone hold me (jk...i'll just have to read the articles. Again.) :)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.