Breakdowns

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Josh Dutzy
Classic Contender

Post by Josh Dutzy »

why are players who have been in the SIM for a year still breaking horses down?
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Is that happening? I haven't looked too carefully at the results, but that's sad. I've been lucky, and only ever had one horse get hurt, but it was a 2yo who bucked his shins, and wasn't going to run until the races are a mile anyway, since he's a Chesapeake Bay.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Teri Lawrence
Eclipse Champion

Post by Teri Lawrence »

1. People make mistakes. I injured one of my best horses last year by not spotting where week X became week Y on 'races for this horse' and accidentally running him back to back.

2. Not every breakdown is the fault of the player, and Em has increased the number of breakdowns/accidents/crises that a farm can have in a year.
Chinese Wizard - dirt router
Docile - turf sprinter and steeplechaser
Ile de Paris - top turf router
Le Chateau Magique - dirt router
Le Dauphin Noir - turf router and European HOTY
Mid Air Collision - dirt miler
Paris Cubed - turf miler and router
Matt Heissenbuttel

Post by Matt Heissenbuttel »

Breakdowns are unfortunate but one would think that players that have broken down horses in the past would learn from their misktakes. Who broke down? :o :o
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Knock on wood - I've never even had an injury.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I saw a really well-bred filly breakdown this week. She's dead now. She had finished second in her seasonal debut last week, and her owner saw that hint of promise and pushed her too hard.

In that case, the owner is totally at fault in my opinion, especially because many people have asked this particular owner repeatedly not to race their horses back to back weeks, myself included. Would I ever consider selling another horse to this person? Probably not.

SO stupid. The filly was worth at least six digits as a broodmare, and she was raced back to back for a measly allowance check. Hopefully that person finally GETS IT.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: I saw a really well-bred filly breakdown this week. She's dead now. She had finished second in her seasonal debut last week, and her owner saw that hint of promise and pushed her too hard.

In that case, the owner is totally at fault in my opinion, especially because many people have asked them repeatedly not to race their horses back to back weeks.

SO stupid. The filly was worth at least six digits as a broodmare at the very least, and she was raced back to back for a measly $24,000 allowance. Hopefully that person finally GETS IT.
Wow I'm curious. I have a suspicion (hm, that word looks funny), but I'm going to go take a closer look now. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: I saw a really well-bred filly breakdown this week. She's dead now. She had finished second in her seasonal debut last week, and her owner saw that hint of promise and pushed her too hard.

In that case, the owner is totally at fault in my opinion, especially because many people have asked this particular owner repeatedly not to race their horses back to back weeks, myself included. Would I ever consider selling another horse to this person? Probably not.

SO stupid. The filly was worth at least six digits as a broodmare at the very least, and she was raced back to back for a measly $24,000 allowance. Hopefully that person finally GETS IT.
I saw that to, it was sad, so far i havent had any, i am trying to space out my horses to atleast have a weeks rest before the next race (meaning they never run back to back) as i would hate a tradgedy like that to happen to one of my favourites
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Oh my goodness, I wanted to buy that horse, too. I didn't because I'm trying to sell stock, not take too many more on, but wow. I came REALLY close to buying her. I don't even know what to say.
Inspiration Stud
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Excellent female family on that one, I would've shelled out some bills for her. Eric paid $4 mil for a colt from the same family, and I picked up a filly from there too for over $700k.

By the way, Nikki, I had an unraced two year old colt buck shins this year too. Em did say there would be more "baby problems," and his momma's by Symbol, so I wasn't too surprised. He's already all better though. :)
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

If we're talking about the horse I think we are, is anybody really surprised? Just curious.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Kelse Mccann
Turf Router

Post by Kelse Mccann »

J Slotman wrote: If we're talking about the horse I think we are, is anybody really surprised? Just curious.
nope
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Touch wood...I've been extremely lucky thus far, and have yet to have a breakdown or injury. But then, I'm also paranoid about racing my horses too close together.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

MalloryGuesnon wrote: Excellent female family on that one, I would've shelled out some bills for her. Eric paid $4 mil for a colt from the same family, and I picked up a filly from there too for over $700k.

By the way, Nikki, I had an unraced two year old colt buck shins this year too. Em did say there would be more "baby problems," and his momma's by Symbol, so I wasn't too surprised. He's already all better though. :)
Definitely. I actually know the dam in real life, too (assuming we're looking at the same horse). I have a bunch of pictures of her lounging around in her stall. Very cute mare!

I didn't mind the shin problems with Wissahickon. Having worked with TBs for seven years, I've seen tons of babies buck (or start to buck) shins. I'd rather they buck shins than start to have problems later on with bigger fractures and chips! Our horse Victory Prospector (I :wub: him-he's also a half to Desert Victory!) did everything from buck shins to get splints before he finally broke his maiden. He really didn't have many problems later on, either, until our trainer started screwing him up in the knees. His splint was cold as ice, and his shins never bothered him again. So I'm ALL for having 2yos get shin problems in the SIM rather than fracturing legs as older horses!
Inspiration Stud
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

J Slotman wrote: If we're talking about the horse I think we are, is anybody really surprised? Just curious.
No. And I'm glad I bought a baby off of this person just because I stand the stallion and used to own the mare as well. I'd rather own a yucky horse (who I actually don't think is yucky) than have it break down.
Inspiration Stud