Derby Dozen #3

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Derby Dozen #3 is now posted; check it out on the Feature Race. Leave any comments/criticisms/compliments in this thread, or use it to discuss the Derby in general!
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

great article I really enjoyed reading it
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Me too, although of course it made it that much better that Notorious was vaulted to #3. We're flattered! :)
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Hey Firestorm was mentioned! :D

I love actually having a contender, it just rocks.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I thought this was the best Derby Dozen in a long time - sorting out this crop is a monstrous task. It is very deep and they all have legit shots at this point.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Awesome article, Eric! It is seriously my new goal in the SIM to be mentioned in the Derby Dozen article at some point in time.
Steve Martinelli
Sprinter

Post by Steve Martinelli »

Excellent job as always. I see Sierra Nevada made the "on the bubble" section...he isnt even Triple Crown nominated, so obviously I have no plans of running him in any triple crown race. I might go in the Louisiana Derby if that field stays as light as it is now for 250k or wait til one of the Week 5 races. I'd like to prove you wrong in going 10F someday but I am not gonna break my arm trying at least for a little while, plus I can have enough fun maybe going 8 or 9F! :P
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Steve Martinelli wrote: Excellent job as always. I see Sierra Nevada made the "on the bubble" section...he isnt even Triple Crown nominated, so obviously I have no plans of running him in any triple crown race. I might go in the Louisiana Derby if that field stays as light as it is now for 250k or wait til one of the Week 5 races. I'd like to prove you wrong in going 10F someday but I am not gonna break my arm trying at least for a little while, plus I can have enough fun maybe going 8 or 9F! :P
Haha, of all the things I checked with those darn 3 year olds, Triple Crown nominations weren't one of them! Something new to look at!
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

I was excited to see Testament get a nod, too! Of course, I don't have any intentions on sending him much further than 7 furlongs... maaaaayyybeee a mile eventually, but he's definitely gonna stay in the sprint division.
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

Oh, I just realized that in my post above I forgot to say great job, Eric! I've always enjoyed reading these every year... these Derby Dozens represent quite possibly the best handicapping in the SIM, at least I think so. B)
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Emily Mitchell wrote: Oh, I just realized that in my post above I forgot to say great job, Eric! I've always enjoyed reading these every year... these Derby Dozens represent quite possibly the best handicapping in the SIM, at least I think so. B)
Well thanks! I do what I can, and sometimes I even get things right! We'll see, last year I had things almost perfect but this year I don't really have as many strong feelings as I did last year so its a little trickier. It doesn't help my handicapping that this year's crop is a lot deeper than last year's, but I can't help that!
Jon Xett
Eclipse Champion

Post by Jon Xett »

Eric, your insights are helpful and enjoyable. It takes a lot of time to put together a well written article. Thanks. I am fortunate to have some distance capable 3 year old colts this year. Here's hoping for safe races and fun times for all of these wonderful 3 year olds in the weeks leading up to the Derby. I think that we shall see some shocking results and some absolute romps in the next two weeks. It is a magical time of year. (ouch, I just stubbed my toe on Declare or Desist). Jon Xett
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Hey Eric thanks for taking the time to write up the Derby Dozen. I always enjoy seeing what you think on the contenders. Yes I am a little shocked to see Torero sitting up there and nervously await his one prep before Derby. I debated hard to send him out for 1 or 2 preps and hope I made a good choice, but the competition is tough.

I look forward to how the Derby (and Triple Crown) plays out... should be exciting! B)
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

That was a very good read into the Derby scene. This is why I dont have a Derby contender!! LOL Bravo to Eric for the article! :)