One Small Thing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: One Small Thing

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago You are right Nick, can’t train during break.
I tend to make the decision based on how they were running towards end of season and then deciding if my horses potential stud/mare ability is worth more then another season of earnings on the track.
The gallop is only a label and doesn’t mean much vs the actual race performances.

Just my opinion.
On the whole I agree, but it’s tough retiring a mare on top of her game only to discover her gallop dropped after her last race. I’d take 5 minutes after results are posted, lol, but if they extended the year by 1 day it wouldn’t be an issue.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Based on Nick’s request, how cool would it be if we could pay a fee for a vague prediction on our horses retired ability? To prevent this from being abused there could even be a limitation to not being available until a horse is 4yo or older. To even further limit it, we can make it available during break only.

From my understanding the stud ability and mare ability are determined at birth. Reason the steward is able to tell if a colt/filly will be a good stud/mare.

A new sim character can be added to the game (fortune teller) who can give us a vague prediction.

“This horse looks like he/she will enjoy the retired life” (can be used for any fillies/colts that are at or above the useful threshold to be a useful mare or stud).

“This horse looks like he/she will be more suited for a 12 year career on the track versus living the retired life” ( could be for those mares/colts that are rated below the useful threshold).

***PS. Make this for Sim cash as it could be a way to take money out of the game :)
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 3 years ago
I tend to make the decision based on how they were running towards end of season and then deciding if my horses potential stud/mare ability is worth more then another season of earnings on the track.
The gallop is only a label and doesn’t mean much vs the actual race performances.

Just my opinion.
On the whole I agree, but it’s tough retiring a mare on top of her game only to discover her gallop dropped after her last race. I’d take 5 minutes after results are posted, lol, but if they extended the year by 1 day it wouldn’t be an issue.
Or even better make week 16 day 6 a thing. Thoroughbred people can have their extra gallop day and mixers get their missing race day back. I had always seen the day 5 finish before as the Steward's Cup is the grand finale but that's already not true with South Pacific racing now taking place latter in the day. Not sure if there is some other logistical issue preventing week 16 day 6 from being a thing but I'm sure I'm not the only mixer trainer that would love to see it.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 3 years ago I’m sure this has been addressed and I’m not sure why not or if possible, but here goes...at year end, can we get 1 more day to re-gallop horses to see if their comments have changed. This would go a long way to helping us to decide if we should retire or not.

Traditionally once the races have run week 16, day 5 we can no longer train. If this has changed, I apologize for not being on top of it. Welcome to my life! Lol
I love this! I have some horses that have run seemingly above their gallop comment, I would love, just for curiosity, to see if they’ve actually improved! Especially to have it reflected on their dam’s page.

Yes I know a million dollar earner is likely to not be an allowance galloper, but it would be nice to see if the mare has produced an actual stakes or freak! Gallops don’t normally fit into my horse’s schedules ones they hit the track.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Just my opinion.
I'm a little confused by this one, so maybe I'm missing something. If you raced the mare Week 15 or Week 16, her gallop won't change between that race and Week 16 Day 5, Day 6, or even Day 7. It can only potentially change when the year changes over, which is after foals are due and all horse age a year. I tend to judge based on performance and pedigree - does her family age well? Are they more precocious? How many good seasons have I had with her - am I likely to be coming to the end of the run?
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

I agree with Laura and I think Pete a little earlier. My decision making to retire is based on how well the mare is running at the end of the season. If she can still win at or near close to her peak I keep going another season (I don't pay much attention to gallops after they start racing). I did however like Pete's suggestion of a money grab to "Help" make decisions on breed or keep racing
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 3 years ago

Just my opinion.
I'm a little confused by this one, so maybe I'm missing something. If you raced the mare Week 15 or Week 16, her gallop won't change between that race and Week 16 Day 5, Day 6, or even Day 7. It can only potentially change when the year changes over, which is after foals are due and all horse age a year. I tend to judge based on performance and pedigree - does her family age well? Are they more precocious? How many good seasons have I had with her - am I likely to be coming to the end of the run?
Sorry to confuse, but I’m convinced it’s probably psychological on my part. I just feel a need to gallop before retiring...I’ve been called crazy before, lol
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

The new studbook retiring when pages are awesome! Would it be possible to add a “retiring Y##” to the stallions page where the stud fee will eventually be 👀
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Pete Vella wrote: 3 years ago Based on Nick’s request, how cool would it be if we could pay a fee for a vague prediction on our horses retired ability? To prevent this from being abused there could even be a limitation to not being available until a horse is 4yo or older. To even further limit it, we can make it available during break only.

From my understanding the stud ability and mare ability are determined at birth. Reason the steward is able to tell if a colt/filly will be a good stud/mare.

A new sim character can be added to the game (fortune teller) who can give us a vague prediction.

“This horse looks like he/she will enjoy the retired life” (can be used for any fillies/colts that are at or above the useful threshold to be a useful mare or stud).

“This horse looks like he/she will be more suited for a 12 year career on the track versus living the retired life” ( could be for those mares/colts that are rated below the useful threshold).

***PS. Make this for Sim cash as it could be a way to take money out of the game :)
Pete, I generally agree with you about lots of things, but I wouldn't want this. Whether or not to retire a horse/what kind of breeding animal they're going to be is one of the very few areas of the game where we can't pay any kind of currency to get an early hint or estimation. I wouldn't want to lose that.
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

Tammy Stawicki wrote: 3 years ago

Just my opinion.
Or even better make week 16 day 6 a thing. Thoroughbred people can have their extra gallop day and mixers get their missing race day back. I had always seen the day 5 finish before as the Steward's Cup is the grand finale but that's already not true with South Pacific racing now taking place latter in the day. Not sure if there is some other logistical issue preventing week 16 day 6 from being a thing but I'm sure I'm not the only mixer trainer that would love to see it.
No you are not. I still don't understand not having week 16 day 6. I just don't see how it would cause any kind of problem considering the game is essentially going offline for 2 and sometimes 3 weeks. 1 race day would make that much difference in retooling the game? From a trainer standpoint, it creates scheduling headaches every year for horses that typically race day 6.
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Make it more difficult to make a mistake listing on the exchange. Two ideas.

1. Add a confirmation box

2. Make it impossible for the Game Points being offered to be higher than the Sim $ being offered. The SIM $ field should always be higher, if it's not, guaranteed that the person entering it made an error.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago Make it more difficult to make a mistake listing on the exchange. Two ideas.

2. Make it impossible for the Game Points being offered to be higher than the Sim $ being offered. The SIM $ field should always be higher, if it's not, guaranteed that the person entering it made an error.
Implemented, both parts
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

The Steward wrote: 3 years ago
Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago Make it more difficult to make a mistake listing on the exchange. Two ideas.

Implemented, both parts
I don't see either parts implemented when I try.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

Implemented, both parts
Re-uploaded, try again?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Danny Derby
Hall of Fame

Post by Danny Derby »

Danny Derby wrote: 3 years ago

Implemented, both parts
Re-uploaded, try again?
Working! Love that these were added.