Week 3

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Mediocre week for me. Picked up a couple of wins in claimers, and had one claimed from me for 25k which always helps the ol' bankroll. (Speaking of claims, I think I've lost the shake for like seven straight claims, but I digress.)

If you can find a more midmanaged filly out there than Be My Faith, let me know. One of these days I will eschew the check for a race she can actually win. She keeps finishing in the money though, four career starts, two seconds, a third, and a fourth, all in stakes races.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

My week was really good. I was very satisfied!

For the week:
13:3-2-1...with FOUR 4th place finishes!

For the Year:
Trainer Stats for Year 18: 37 : 7 - 3 - 6 Win-18.9% OTB-43.2%
Stakes Wins: 0 I Maiden Wins: 5 I 2 Year Old Wins: 1

MITE BE WORTH IT won his allowance test and will now await the Khaled stakes at Hollywood park week 7. I love that horse and am so very proud of him! :D

SEPERATED a very new purchase for me broke his maiden first time out in NZ. I really like him...hes cute!

T M O PRODUCTIONS finally got that maiden out of the way! Out of Film Maker...it was about darn time! YAY for him!

Following the wins we had second place finishes by MONTSTROKED and GRANNACI, One third by MIAGERU and I had alot of 4th place finishes from BEGONE, CROSS THAT LINE, IMPACT MY LIFE, and RAINFOREST.
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

A good week!

This week- 12:3-3-1, YTD- 39:9-3-5, win 23.1% OTB 43.6% Maiden wins-6, no stakes wins, yet.

I picked up a Barbaro filly, THUMB FUN, stretched her out to 9f and she was 2nd by a nose in a maiden race on turf. "Broke eagerly mild bid outside gamely stretch" I love the gamely part :)
Taylor Clark
Sprinter

Post by Taylor Clark »

My week was all right. I had 12 starts, 1 win, 2 thirds, 3 forths, 1 fifth, and the rest less then that

So My Current Record: 36 starts 3-2-4 Win: 8.3% OTB: 25.0%

My Win;
Maceo a three year old colt got his first win in his second start for me. In his previous race under me he placed 2nd behind a stablemate. And this time out he got first against some horses that looked pretty well bred (some CAHs in there)

My Thirds:
New Horizons finished third in a maiden race sponsored by Laura Ferguson.
Victory Pass a gelding I picked up for 1k got third and made about 1.2k for me (excluding his purchase price, etc.)

My Forths:
Thegameliveson a filly given to me took forth in the Sunshine Millions for fillies and mares sprint
Paw of the Cat took forth in an allowance race. I paid 25k for this colt and so far he's earned 5.7k so I'm hopefully he'll make his purchase price.
Alydar's Shadow took forth behind some really nice horses in the Gran Premio Mile. I think the distance may have been to short for him.

My Fifth:
Serena's Plan a 10k claimer got 5k in a stakes race.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I ran 16 horses and got 2 3rds, 2 4ths, 3 5ths and the rest were between 7th-11th

Third:
Arravision, in the 2 mile Okinawa Cherry Blossoms Stakes. My fault I shouldn't have shipped him across that far and that close to the race. I'm going to let him rest at a farm there before he races again.
Defcon One seems to have finally found his place in the Steeplechasing world. He took a third in his first steeplechase.

Forth:
Secrettimeandplace in a maiden race in Australia
Thestormheschasing in a claiming race

Fifth:
Remember Spirit in a maiden turf race, his best race in some time.
Memo's Pride I can't seem to find this filly's niche.
Lost Angel in a maiden race in Hong Kong

My Current Stats: 47 starts 1-0-3 Win: 2.1% OTB 8.5%
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

I had a really good week win-wise, but a really confusing week as far as some horses should have finished much better than they did.

14: 5-1-0

My highlights:

Indubitably won the Sunshine Millions Dash by 3 1/2 lengths over Fantastic Me, another son of Em's Always Busy. Also on the SA card, Sic Transit Gloria made it two for Em's Always Busy.
Iniquity broke his maiden first out. He is a full-brother to one of my favorite homebreds, Testament. So, obviously, I'm stoked. That cross (Mayakovsky x Token) is still undefeated!
Staff brought down a really classy allowance at Oaklawn. It makes me happy when I finally get a horse figured out.
Toujours Occupe barely got the head bob his first out, too. He's out of an Em's Always Busy mare, which just makes me want to raise his fee.
And last but not least, Mayanemsky broke her maiden! It's taken her 5 tries, and she's now 3, but it's ok! She's out of my mare in RL, who never even saw a track, though she is a TB. She's in my stable for, clearly, sentimental reasons only but I am SO STOKED she's a producer! Woo!

My hopefuls:

Colossal ran better than expected in the Florida Derby. He was right there with the big guns, so I'm excited about his future. As of now, I'm leaning toward skipping the Derby and seeing about the Preakness, and am feeling confident about the Belmont.
Em's Engaged got 2nd first out. He's, also, by Em's Always Busy. I'm noticing a theme...
and Bien Cuit brought home a 5th place check in her first out at 5.5f. Her daddy (Bienamado) won at long distances, so a decent finish makes me quite please.

My confusions:
I sponsored a race specifically for Affaire, and she bombed. Thanks a lot, tootz. Impose and Sweptawaybythetide both ran poorly against each other. Swept will be getting a very long break and coming back at the end of the year...

A good week for me. Bring on week 4!
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Norman Architecture »

Another Reasonable week for me.

Fashanu went unbeaten in 2 by winning the race Ali sponsored for Affaire.

Proud Uprising a filly by Silent Witness ,i picked up on the sales page , won her maiden and all the money i paid for her by picking up a race in New Zealand(a good meet for newbies).

And most pleasing of all Zest for life picked up a new player Stakes at Trial Park , a race i targeted because of Eric's sponsorship.

I also had 9 other horses bringing home a cheque.

My stats so far 36: 7-4-3 win 19.4% otb 38.9%

Stakes wins 2 Maiden wins 4 2yo win 0
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

ASchmidt wrote: I am bummed at Mar De Lago's 5th place finish. Does this mean she isn't stakes quality?
Allowance races, particularly sprint allowances, are seriously difficult. Decent horses wind up finishing off the board because the fields are crowded with horses that are all generally close in class. So don't despair! Find a NW3 or a small stakes field lacking a superstar and her next run should tell you more.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

I'll agree with Mallory on the allowances for sprints being tough. I have a few that do worse (like 5th or worse) in allowances, but if I get them in the right stakes, they can hit the board. It's all about placing in the right spot. Some of those stakes will be full of tough horses, while others might have one or two top notched runners and the rest being average. For me, I try to get allowance wins when a horse doesn't fair well in a previous stakes run. But with the sprinting ranks, it is tougher than the routers - deeper fields? fewer sprint allowances than routers? I don't know what it is...
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Dave Shields wrote: I'll agree with Mallory on the allowances for sprints being tough. I have a few that do worse (like 5th or worse) in allowances, but if I get them in the right stakes, they can hit the board. It's all about placing in the right spot. Some of those stakes will be full of tough horses, while others might have one or two top notched runners and the rest being average. For me, I try to get allowance wins when a horse doesn't fair well in a previous stakes run. But with the sprinting ranks, it is tougher than the routers - deeper fields? fewer sprint allowances than routers? I don't know what it is...
I think that there are several contributing factors here. First of all, there ARE fewer sprint allowances than route allowance I believe, but more than that, everyone knows where to find the sources of dirt speed; high class dirt speed used to come through stallions like Symbol, Satelite, and Em's Always busy; these days you find it through Satelite sons, Lost Soldier (and Lost In The Fog), several Storm Cat line dirt sprinters, Ghostzapper, and maaybe a handful of other minor sources. Its easy to indentify what horses SHOULD be sprinters and put them in sprint races.

Meanwhile, we've had a number of SIM players concentrate on breeding sprinters for a long, long time. When players like Brianna McKenzie not only continue to produce staggering numbers of top sprinters but lay out a blueprint for the successful breeding of said sprinters, there have been plenty of (less successful but nonetheless effective) copycats. You've got extremely well-developed female families (its unbeleivable the number of current sprinters tracing to Desert Stormer), and even those families that were previously the exclusive property of a handful of players can't help but eventually diffuse themselves through the SIM. With comparatively few sources of dirt speed as compared to options like dirt stamina or turf stamina, it becomes easy to breed an effective sprinter even while becoming harder to breed an elite sprinter. Thus, you wind up with this backlog that starts up top with a ton of horses taking relatively few stakes paths through the year and becomes worse with a huge bottleneck of B-level sprinters.

Thus, the easiest horses to find, race and breed on a basic become the hardest horses to find, race and breed on an elite level, and it filters down through the whole division.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Good week. I know i'm late. ;)

Catching Fire won the Gomma Gomma Dingaans in South Africa. He's headed to the 1st leg of the TC next in week 5.

Ian you are more then welcome to ship your wonderful filly to the Sheema Classic to try Aca again. I'ts not like i was just like hey i'll try him on the dirt. I had multiple reasons that I discussed with many people. I thought that I had more to gain then to lose by running him on the dirt. While I didn't expect to get 8th, i wasn't really expecting to win either. But I had to knwo if he could handle it. If i'd have listened to others about him I'd never have run him in the Epsom Derby. Multiple people told me he'd never get the distance. But I had to find out, and guess what he won... So while I may look like a complete retard now, I still had to give it a go myself. And if' he'd have won i'd have looked like a genius. :P B)

Concentration won an allowance race in JPN, Night finally broke through with a switch to the turf, Pop Idol won first asking.

Thesis ran 2nd beaten only 1/2 in the Battle Cry Stakes. Cuirassier ran 2nd to Azelia Bay's 1/2. So i'm happy that he only lost by 5 1/2. LOL

I got some 4ths and 5ths too.