Gibraltar

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Gibraltar

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Trafalgar - Global, by Atlas
16.3hh Gray Colt

This guy has been an incredibly pleasant surprise from day one. His dam was definitely not the greatest race mare, and as a broodmare she had only produced one winner in three foals before Gibraltar. He's bred on the same cross as my graded stakes winner Sing Me Back Home.

Gibraltar initially galloped "wow", which is much more than I had hoped for, and once his equipment was figured out, he was a lightning fast worker. He's clocked two works in 59.00 at the five furlong distance and three in 1:10.56 going six panels.

G-man broke his maiden at first asking with a crazy fast time, and then I got a little ambitious. That's never worked out for me before. I have a young horse win big, enter it at a higher level, and it flops. But not him. Then, he took the Throwing Punches Stakes at Adolescent Acres by two lengths over Brandon McClellan's very nice colt Shoddy and Dave Mackay's Steward-bred Worlds Colliding. Color me giddy, and now I don't feel like I have to worry about putting him on the "favorite horses" list prematurely.

We didn't win the Hail the Queen, but came very close. And Gibraltar ran a 90. He is officially the fastest horse I've ever owned.

Closing his three-year-old year, Gibraltar was undefeated on the Asian circuit, but lost out to a very nice colt named Demand An Encore for Asian Champion Three-Year-Old. He won his first start at four, then was second behind the monster named Pingu two weeks later. He is going for the Desert Turf Classic.

13 Starts: 9 Wins, 2 Place, 1 Show $880,500

WON AT 2

Throwing Punches Stakes (1 1/16 miles, defeating Shoddy, Worlds Colliding, etc.) - 77 SF
Maiden Special Weight (1 1/16 miles, defeating Steel Toed, Snitcher, etc.) - 80 SF

2ND AT 2

Hail the Queen Stakes - G2 (1 1/4 miles, to Monster, defeating Rob Roy, etc.) - 90 SF

WON AT 3

Japanese St. Leger - G1 (1 7/8 miles, defeating Smoke Red Sun, Porthcuno, etc.) - 79 SF
Japanese Derby - G1 (1 1/2 miles, defeating Smoke Red Sun, Unfeated, etc.) - 75 SF
Tokyo Trial Stakes - G3 (1 3/8 miles, defeating Porthcuno, Hatchet Bearer, etc.) - 78 SF
Nakayama Turf Stakes (1 1/4 miles, defeating Down in the Sand, Whistle Pig, etc.) - 75 SF

3RD AT 3

Brisbane Derby - G1 (1 1/4 miles, to Monster, Pride of Atlantis) - 89 SF

WON AT 4

Hong Kong Champions Route - G1 (1 1/2 miles, defeating Stones in the Sand, Rob Roy, etc.) - 83 SF
Queen's Memorial Stakes - G3 (1 1/2 miles, defeating Rob Roy, Stones in the Sand, etc.) - 79 SF
Troubadour Stakes (1 7/8 miles, defeating Notable Act, Maltese Crichton, etc.) - 75 SF

2ND AT 4

Magic Carpet Stakes (2 miles, to Pingu, defeating Quite the Feat, etc.) - 81 SF

Next Race: Arc de Triomphe (G1)
Last edited by Erin Sanderson 11 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Gibraltar

Post by The Steward »

I am a huge fan.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I approve a bit
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Ara Davies wrote:I approve a bit
Only a bit? ;) Come on, he's 2x3 Banner awesomeness through Trafalgar and Atlas!

And Em, I'm honored. Loads :D G says he is too!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Vetted G tonight and he's already where the vet's saying "this horse should be at its peak...in about five or six days if you don't push it too hard this week" or something like that (forgot to actually copy the darn thing down). I think he's going to be ready for his big dance week 16!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Definitely going to be ready for a week 16 date! Vet says: "Let's take a look at Gibraltar. He seems to be pretty fit. You've got yourself a sharp horse here! Have a great day!"

Also, G is an attention hog. Fed him mints, carrots, petted, groomed, and bathed, and he was still wanting more. Can you say "ham"? :lol:
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Getting a little nervous about the Hail the Queen already. Monster and Toomanyheartbreaks are in there, and they're super tough!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Monster, Rob Roy, and Crazy Heart. Yikes!

Although, I do feel really good about Gibraltar's last race. Worlds Colliding (third behind Gibraltar in the Throwing Punches) came back last week to win the Hercules Stakes rather nicely.

I can't wait until Friday is over so I can quit thinking about this silly race!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I don't think I've ever been happier to finish second in a race, or prouder of a homebred than I am of Gibraltar. He ran a monstrous race after a slow start and finished second by a neck to Monster, running a 90 SF in the process! (Yes, that is my first horse ever to run a 90, and I'm bouncing off the walls. Just bear with my silliness.)

On to the Brisbane Derby!
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

I'm a slacker, but Gibraltar finally has a page on my website (which is still under heavy construction).
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

Gibraltar has a headshot ordered, yay! (I think Em would have probably killed me if I didn't use it for him anyway...)

Also debating on staying in Australia. Some ridiculous three-year-olds from other parts of the world have joined the Gibraltar/Monster/Rob Roy party. Pride of Atlantis is now residing at Trochilidae Ridge, and Pictish Warrior was shipped to the Aussie Hub.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

G-man now has a super awesome gorgeous headshot!! Thank you to the artist who brought him to life and Em for giving away headshots as chat contest prizes :) Look for this amazingly handsome dude to hit the track again in the Brisbane Derby next week!

Frances Krell
Turf Router

Post by Frances Krell »

Killer headshot! Whoa! :D
Dave Mackay1
Classic Contender

Post by Dave Mackay1 »

:D nice headshot Erin,good luck in the brisbane derby.
Erin Sanderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Erin Sanderson »

All credits of awesomeness go to the artist, I just bask in the glow haha! And thanks Dave, best of luck with Worlds Colliding :) Time for a rematch!