Workouts!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Yay! more buttons!

The workouts look pretty cool. Although I really haven't the slightest clue when to do them, how long to run them, etc. I tested a few 2yos, its pretty cool. Since it is in Beta, it won't effect horses (good or bad) for now. But it is something that I am sure will be important. Exciting!

B)
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

So much fun! I've been fooling around with it instead of doing my poetry paper :P . It's going to be really interesting to see how this will affect things.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

DAVE ya beat me to it!

Check out the Feature Race for my reaction, and everyone post their reactions here :)

I tried one out, got a decent result, and now i'm going to bed ;)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Nice article Randall, pretty much summed up every thought/worry that went through my head over the arrival of workouts. :D

I sent a couple of two year olds through, plus every horse that i've been having an issue finding a race for. Hopefully i'll turn out to be a good judge of these and not mess my horses up lol
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

This is sooo fun! *gives horses workouts*
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

What a great new toy! I'm already going happily nuts adjusting my spreadsheet and staggering workouts and runs. I sort of have a strategy in mind, time will tell if it works!
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Also, I am freakishly excited about the future "My Workouts" page and weekly rankings. For the sprinters, I can't help but be curious about how the competition's working! Will it be divided into divisions, like the points ranking page?
Frayed - $75,000
Same - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'll try to work a bunch to help the beta process, and maybe figure out a few of my 2yos that have pedigrees where they could be either turf or dirt. I'll be curious to see if there are morning glories, and other horses that work dreadfully slow, but race just fine.
Charles Bunbury
Hall of Fame

Post by Charles Bunbury »

Does it matter where you are, track, farm or in transit?

Wish list
Alternate horses between jumps and flat.
Search for previous rather than current owners of horses.
Stallions year entered for stud duties.
Automated assistant trainers - sorted, kind of!
European claiming circuit.

John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

The spacing is going to be difficult. None of us (at least I think this is true) are trainers in real life, and some horses like works the Wednesday of a race week, others get their last work a week prior to a race. Should be challenging!
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'd be surprised if you could work in transit, but I haven't looked to see whether it is feasible. I don't think it matters farm v. track - several farms in real life have training tracks.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Well, I worked all my horses including yearlings(just the fillies) to see what happens. Of course the yearlings only did 2 furlongs which is more than enough for them right now in my opinion. I have to say though all my yearlings are slower than average in their times except one. But then again I race distance horses so that might be why. It was fun and I will be curious how it affects a horse myself. I will also say that I think this will be helpful in determining surface preference for a few of mine.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I worked out all my 2yo's that haven't raced or will be awhile before they race again - Wind Whispers, by Bob & John out of a Storm Cat mare really likes turf! So that helps me decide with her. I'll try working out the ones that didn't seem to like one surface on the other in about 2 weeks and hold on starting them. I think I'll wait until later in the year to start working out my yearlings. In real life, they really don't start breaking & training until summer or fall.
I'm just here for the fun of it
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I'm just imagining the future where there will be daily workout tabs at different tracks. It will be the SIM's version of equibase.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Lauren Haggerty wrote: So much fun! I've been fooling around with it instead of doing my poetry paper :P . It's going to be really interesting to see how this will affect things.
HAHA at 1:42 AM! Love it. I do that everytime I have a paper...stay up all night going back and forth between the paper and SIM.