Workouts!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Better you than me. I'm not using workouts unless there's a significant layoff between races (nothing smaller than four weeks) or the horse is returning from an injury that has him or her sidelined for several weeks. The potential for tiring a horse is too great. You never have been able to equate a SIM week to a certain period of real life time - and I think to start now is a mistake. In my opinion, you are more likely to have a tired horse, who is more prone to a bad result or injury, than a fit horse. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this.

Laura
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

Laura F. wrote: Better you than me. I'm not using workouts unless there's a significant layoff between races (nothing smaller than four weeks) or the horse is returning from an injury that has him or her sidelined for several weeks. The potential for tiring a horse is too great. You never have been able to equate a SIM week to a certain period of real life time - and I think to start now is a mistake. In my opinion, you are more likely to have a tired horse, who is more prone to a bad result or injury, than a fit horse. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig on this.

Laura
I'm with Laura on this one. Only after a long layoff, injury, or prepping a young one for their first start.

Otherwise, I'm too afraid to use it. There's too great a risk for injury and fatigue.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

I worked a few today that had run a race this last week. It certainly seemed like they were slower than their first works. So I am assuming they were tired. Of course it could be due to adjustments from the beta version. It will be fun to try and figure these out for sure.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Of course, workouts aren't the devil with the sole purpose of trying to break down all your horses. You just have to be smart. Ian gave a great example: Lava Man worked 6 furlongs 8 days out of a 1 1/4 mile race. That's a good barometer and typical of a long distance race - you wouldn't want to work 6 furlongs 5 days out because then you might be too tired. Workouts do provide an amount of schooling and conditioning to a horse, so they shouldn't be shunned like the plague, however, they were designed to be a tool, not a necessity.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

*grumbles* and scratches all but one horse after being told that sim days are in fact just like rl days and sim weeks are in fact just like rl weeks... and 5 days before a race is too close for a 5f... 5 sim days doesn't equal 8 rl days.

I am keeping a sub optimal turf sprinter in a 6f race this week who did a 2f workout 6 days out... so I will see what that does.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

this week's horses have not received a work out a few for next week have had short ones like 2 furlong short

I am weary to give longer work outs the closer I get
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I've given most of mine (yes even those running this week) a two furlong workout. I know it's possible for the horse to be tired or whatever but I didn't work those I know whose lines are prone to soundness problems or two year olds. I just want to see what happens. I'll most likely regret it later but I'm being a guinea pig I guess.
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I gave at least one of mine a 3f work for this week's races. We'll see how that works out for me.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I sent my horses who ran Week 3 all 2 furlongs each on their respective surfaces (unless they have yet to run, then I sent them 4 furlongs). The only horse I didn't send out was Desert Victory, as I'm too scared to touch him right now. I've noticed that a couple of trainers I've worked for in real life have sent horses who are about a week away from running "down the lane," which is essentially a two furlong work. Not enough to be timed, but quick enough to be called "down the lane". So we'll see what happens. I probably won't send many others out after this until I see the results.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

Well I'm kind of being a guinea pig too. Here's how I'm doing my experiments:

Constants: distance, level (allowance, claiming, stakes etc), space in between races (this last one is harder to keep constant, though, I'm aiming for 2 weeks in between races, so racing weeks 3,6,9 etc)

And splitting my horses up into three groups:
2yos, regular racers, comming off layoffs

The 2yos I am dividing into two groups by ability as best as I can. All will get regular (am debating every other week or every week, what do you guys think? hmm..another experiment to do) workouts leading to their debuts (most of my stable is probably distance leaning) from 3f up to 5f. However, one group will stop the week before their debut with a 5f breeze and the second will end with a 2f breeze the very beginning of the week.

Comming off of layoffs (since I only have a couple) won't have very reliable data, but all horses will breeze twice. One group will breeze 3 then 5f and the other will breeze 5f then 3f, with the latter once again ending the same week.

My regular racers are split into two groups. One will be breezed halfway in between races, and the other breezed the week of. All distance horses (1mile or higher) are worked at 6f and sprinters at 5f.

I will get working on my yearlings once Week 10 passes, for the sprinters.

And lastly, is working our horses like shipping? I mean, does it matter what day we work on or does it only count on a week-to-week basis?

[edit] If anyone wants to know the numbers, I only have 20 2yos, 2 horses on layoffs (currently, the number may change), and 53 regular racers. It's not near enough for accurate test numbers. Anyone else want to pitch in with my setup? :D
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

It definitely matters what day you work, especially in regards to how far you work. That's if you're doing it the week of a race, obviously. If your horse isn't running for a while it won't matter.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Well, I'm hoping a quick breeze on a Monday isn't necessarily a bad thing for Saturday races...
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

J Slotman wrote: Well, I'm hoping a quick breeze on a Monday isn't necessarily a bad thing for Saturday races...
This may say more about me than anything, but when I read the above I read it as the following:

"Well, I'm hoping a quick BEER on a Monday isn't necessarily a bad thing for Saturday races..."

to which i internally replied : "Certainly not!"
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

Just no 5f on mon for a sat 1 1/8 m race ;)
Janey Adams
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Janey Adams »

Ill be everyones Guinea Pig....

I have HISTORIC entered in the Suburban at Belmont for Saturdays results. I worked him 5 furlongs on Saturday (1 week out) as a "blowout" or "Tightner." He went 5 in 58.64 for a 1 1/4 race. I think he is still going to do GREAT! (Now that I said that...) Well anyway, typically he will have two days of "standing" and he will jog and gallop into the race. Thats how I see it anyway.