SIMMY Award Voting

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

This year, I think we should

Have SIMMY voting like normal since it's a long break
43%
Have the Steward just pick the champions for the first time
57%

Total votes: 109

Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Re: SIMMY Award Voting

Post by Ara Davies »

I feel bad only voting for my own horses but it makes me mad to vote for a horse other than my own so I don't vote

I also don't enter so only voting for my own horses doesn't work very well anyway
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

The only ones I've voted for are awards within divisions that I run in and the trainer awards. Otherwise I just leave the entries blank and submit. I don't mind if Em wants to do it, because then we only have one person to blame (sorry Em!) instead of the general outcry of "Why didn't so and so win? He/She's sooooooo much better than the winner!" and other whinage.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I think the problem - both the good and bad - with me voting, is I would just put up the horse who was really best. If it came down to three Appy 2yos who each won SC races, I'd look at it, say, Yeah, this one is the faster horse who beat better horses, and pick that one... even if he is 4: 3 - 0 - 0 and the other two are undefeated in four tries. In reality, that's what you WANT - you want to anoint the best horse, but the world looks differently in my eyes!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

To sum up the previous posters:

Some trainers don't vote
Some trainers only vote for their horses
Some trainers vote for people they like
Some trainers vote for the first horse listed
Some people don't care ( and make pictures of sailboats on their ballot-oh wait that was me in second grade for standardized tests)
Some people rigorously campaign for awards.
Some people hate horses that get campaigned for.

I'm not sure any of these were what Emily had in mind when the Simmy's were created.

Clearly the above posts show; either Em should take over --or send the whole simmy thing the way of the Dinosaur.

Imagine if the eclipse voters took the same approach---- maybe they do?
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Justin Turner
Turf Router

Post by Justin Turner »

whats a simmy?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Rob Kilbourn wrote:Imagine if the eclipse voters took the same approach---- maybe they do?
I know for a FACT many do. I've seen people's absurd looking ballots myself.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

If the SIMMY awards are someday abolished, what will we complain about instead?
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

The usual stuff.

stud fees...
the arbitrary unfairness of Laura's lease program and it's direct relation to the world financial crisis and recession...
1k upbids...
3k upbids...
anything else remotely related to stew auctions or auctions of any kind...
tbs being favored over mixers...
the very existence of mixers...
Slotman...
Hern...
the blog...
Canada...
cheese...
stud fees...
insurance...
injuries...
boycotts...
chat...

etc.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

The Steward wrote:
Rob Kilbourn wrote:Imagine if the eclipse voters took the same approach---- maybe they do?
I know for a FACT many do. I've seen people's absurd looking ballots myself.
Yup, and to add to it I've actually assisted in filling out an Eclipse ballot.
Marzy Dotes
Hall of Fame

Post by Marzy Dotes »

Oscars...some members give the ballots to their kids...or kids' friends to fill out. And don't get started on the Pullet Surprises. But as said, the important part of this is the party afterward.
"Fools live to regret their words, wise men to regret their silence."

---Author, Will Henr

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

---Edmund Burke
Melissa Mae
Hall of Fame

Post by Melissa Mae »

I say that the winners just get selected by points. Then people can't go on a rant saying it's a popularity contest, etc etc etc. There will still be the ones that complain (that would probably complain even if they won) but they'd have to at least come up with something more creative.
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Personally, I like voting, and I took Em at her word and assumed she is only talking about how it's going to go this year. I'd never support putting all that on her shoulders in the long term. Nor would I support eliminating the awards just because sometimes the wrong (IMO) horse or person gets awarded.

But I am fine with her doing it this year on a one-off basis, just because of the timing. I'm assuming voting would be the week after New Years, which is basically booked for me at this point.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Blue Cashews
Two Year Old

Post by Blue Cashews »

Justin Turner wrote:whats a simmy?
An award/title given to the best performing horse in its category/class in a sim year.
Since i started playing this game in early 2010, i've only voted the simmy award once.
There are just too many horses to go through and more than half of it i'm not familiar.
Judging from the various posting above, I guess majority feel the same way.
SIMMY Award make this game a little more real, which is why i don't think its a good idea to scrap it off.
Perhaps it's time to consider a different approach in picking SIMMY Award winner?
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Blue Cashews wrote:
An award/title given to the best performing horse in its category/class in a sim year.
Since i started playing this game in early 2010, i've only voted the simmy award once.
There are just too many horses to go through and more than half of it i'm not familiar.
SIMMY Award make this game a little more real, which is why i don't think its a good idea to scrap it off.
Perhaps it's time to consider a different approach in picking SIMMY Award winner?
Oh, Turner knows what a SIMMY is.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Andy Gol
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Andy Gol »

Scott Eiland wrote:
Blue Cashews wrote:
Oh, Turner knows what a SIMMY is.
I dunno...he still doesn't know what good hockey is...

BOOM! ROASTED!