When The Newbie Status Disappears

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I can no longer race at Trial Park, or see the New Players Sale Page. I am saddened by this because I certainly don't feel like I'm all that experienced in the game yet. Oh well.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

20 weeks
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I know.... it certainly hasn't felt like 20 weeks since I joined. This game is the best! To be here for 20 weeks and only feels like 3. What a game!
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

Me too! I was crushed when my newbie status disappeared. I *definitely* still consider myself a new player...even if it's technically not true.

*sigh*
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I miss Trial Park :(
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

Newbies these days are so spoiled... ;)
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

JoleneD wrote: Newbies these days are so spoiled... ;)
I know - a friend who was in the Sim since prior to Em's 2 year Hiatus talks about it was a looooong time before she got a winner, let alone a stakes winner - no Trial Park, No CAH's, and I think she said there was no way to give a horse to another player.

One player was super dominant (she's no longer in it), and made it very difficult to get established.

So, I feel very lucky that I joined when I did.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Chris Carman
Derby Contender

Post by Chris Carman »

during my new player status I only had 3 starts at Trial Park, so when that option went away, it wasn't that big of a deal. But I LOVE the SIM. Greatest game EVER!
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

Haha, I'll make a deal with you guys. I'll trade you my newbie status for one of your Stakes-quality horses.

Deal?
Lauren Haggerty
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Lauren Haggerty »

S.C. Burns wrote: Haha, I'll make a deal with you guys. I'll trade you my newbie status for one of your Stakes-quality horses.

Deal?
Haha, no thanks. You'll probablyy get one quicker then I did at any rate.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

:::shrug::: Maybe, maybe not. I'm realizing now that my first purchases weren't good ones. Some horses are just never gonna be good runners.

Here's a question: are future new players going to still get a CAH, since CAHs are gone?
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

6 weeks down 14 weeks to go I think, I joined just after week 15 if I remember correctly

new player sales page has added a few horses to my stable, some diamonds in the rough in my case giving me a win and a third, and a steeplechaser and a possible steeplechaser :lol:

my time goes by fast lol

now to wait for my homebreds in yr 19 and especially year 20 homebreds
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

I don't have any broodmares yet. A little birdy told me that it's a better idea to learn how to race first, then tackle the breeding issue next year.

So i'm moving it along slowly.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

I'm the friend that Carolyn is referring to, and to put things in perspective, I started towards the tail end of Year 11. If I remember correctly, I didn't get my first winner until well into Year 12, and my first stakes winner was about 1/3 of the way through year 13. I ran a lot of fillers, so my win percentage was awful, but I picked up a lot of fourth place checks in stakes, which I used to slowly upgrade my stable. There were a handful of races restricted to players with less than a certain bankroll, and the Maryland Million stakes were restricted to players with less than 20 lifetime stakes wins, but there was no Trial Park, and no races restricted to brand new players.

My first break-through was when I received Kudos, who became my first stakes winner, after winning the SIMMY Award of Merit in Year 12, courtesy of Daryl and Emily (thanks again!). My second, and probably biggest, break-through was when everyone was given a real life mare, and I got Dancethruthedawn. I bred Storm's Twilight, who became one of my best runners (and later, in the new SIM, a champion) and then I sold a breeding right in "Dawn" to Bri - she bred Into Glory, who became a multiple G2 stakes winner. The money I received from that bankrolled the purchase of Kentucky Oaks and Breeders' Cup Distaff winner Farewellinthedark, millionaire and multiple G1 winner Cavalcade, stakes winner Shininginthenight and one other horse at the TBS Auction.

But, anyway, here are my old sim stats, just to put things in perspective (my stats in the new SIM are eons better):

Year 15 534 : 66 - 81 - 89 Win-12.4% OTB-44.2%
Year 14 563 : 34 - 58 - 91 Win- 6.0% OTB-32.5%
Year 13 350 : 17 - 28 - 36 Win- 4.9% OTB-23.1%
Year 12 168 : 6 - 6 - 17 Win- 3.6% OTB-17.3%
Year 11 19 : 0 - 0 - 1 Win- 0.0% OTB- 5.3%
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

So, you know, back in year five when I joined (not to date myself or anything) newbies didn't get anything special! Just $50,000 and a hearty pat on the back!

I somehow got lucky enough to find myself two fillies on the sales page that turned into stakes winners for me - Speedyjetsdaughter (who then produced for me The Inevitable, who won the BC Juvy Fillies as well as the KY Oaks) and Always in Love, who won the BC FM Sprint for me and gave me a few decent babies.

Back then I think you just had to get lucky like I did!