I could use a hand

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

I need help, guys! I'm "new" this year (though I played forever ago for quite a few years, so I suppose I'm just back). Anyway, I feel completely out of the loop when it comes to who crosses well with whom. Was wondering if I could get some input.

Let's start with Sim Goddess. She was mine back when she ran, and by far one of my best. So it's really important to me that I do her justice. Two of her best foals to date were by Loki Flame, so I was thinking of taking her to Loki Masterpiece. However, one of her fist babies, Close Call, was by Onwardsilvercharm (he also ran for me and is one of my absolute fav's) and was pretty good. I'd like to try and boost Onwardsilvercharm's appeal with a good foal, but I'm not sure I'll get so lucky this time. And... I was thinking she crossed really well with the Mr. Prospector line, so I was looking at Elusive Quality. But, as of yet, he's unproven in the sim and I'm not sure I trust him.

Then there's Statgal, who has produced quite a bit, so of course I want to keep her on a roll. She crossed with Sport's Jersey to get Star Player, but I'm not sure which of his sons are standing right now. Also, she crossed well with Symbol. So, I was thinking she'd be a good one to take to Atlas. Or... Onwardsilvercharm. Any ideas?

Lastly, I have Encore. Her best foal was Storm the Bastille, who is by Storm a Fortress, giving the resulting gelding a LOT of Silver Charm. That's all I really decided. Anything?

Thanks guys. Hope I wasn't too long-winded.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

These are questions I like to answer, good mares with a reasonable prospect of returning a good horse from a solid mating.

Sim Goddess: Dealing with my 2nd favorite SIM female line here (I bred several stellar horses, including BC Juvenile and Travers Stakes winner Impressive, who was by Tremendous and out of a half sister to Sim Goddess), I'd recommend coming back to the crosses that have worked before. Tremendous is a fantastic cross, and he'd be my first suggestion, based on my success with Impressive. Other than that, I've had success with the line to Silver Charm and the mare herself has had success to Event Of The Year line horses, which brings in Konstantine and Icon as appealing crosses. Neither of those two necessarily excite me with this particular mare, however, but what does stand out is that Loki Flame x Sim Goddess produced Goddess Of Fire, who produced BC Distaff winner (and my least-favorite horse ever, for personal reasons, though she was a heck of a racehorse and a wonderful broodmare) Fallen Goddess to the cover of Fading Dreams. Fading Dreams is still at stud, and he'd make a FANTASTIC cross for Sim Goddess. Fallen Goddess, in turn, produced BC Juvenile Champ End Result to the cover of Unheard Of, making Unheard Of a very interesting match. In order, my suggestions:
1) Tremendous
2) Fading Dreams
3) Unheard Of
4) Icon
5) Atlas (bringing in Loki Flame on the female side and Silver Charm on the male side, though my concern here is that I *think* Atlas will sire predominantly turf, as Conduit did. Most people haven't caught on to that, but check out that 2 of his 3 major sons at stud were turf horses [admittedly, when Jon Xett's current 4yo monster by Conduit joins the stud ranks, the balance will tip back even])
6) Lighting A Candle (bringing in Loki Flame close-up)

The last note on Sim Goddess is that I would NOT use Onwardsilvercharm. I loved him as a racehorse, but with all due respect, I think he's largely worthless as a sire. The primary asset of Silver Charm line horses is their blinding speed; Onwardsilvercharm, as a 1 1/4 mile horse, seemed to have little of it nor does he sire it. What he imparts to his offspring is toughness and soundness, but he hasn't sired a breakout horse, and too many people have sent him too many good mares to continue holding out hope that he'll get a breakout big horse simply because we wish it to be true. Even in the example of Close Call, I can't find a "BIG" horse that he beat; he made a very productive career out of running in the money behind the superstars and winning the odd stakes when he got away from the heavyweights, but he never established himself as a real force. Loki Masterpiece is almost the same deal, I'm not sure what to make of him as a sire. Put simply, there are too many really appealing options with this mare to be messing around with sires that may or may not be capable of getting a big horse. Stick with the horses that you KNOW have the ability to sire a big-time runner and let things happen.

The same deal holds with Statgal as held with Sim Goddess. I think you'll ultimately make the most of your Atlas breedings by utilizing him with turf mares, and all the commentary on Onwardsilvercharm holds here. That said, I'd still be trying my best to find either a Silver Charm line horse or a Gentlemen line horse. If you go with Silver Charm, you're breeding for speed: take a look at the foals of the Symbol x Statgal and notice that they're blindingly fast sprinters, including the three year old colt Saturn, who were it not for the filly sensation Era, would have been the best 2yo sprinter of his year. He's by Satelite, leading me to Best as the "best" cross for your mare if you decide to breed for speed. He carries what is without a doubt the premier female-family speed line in the SIM (Inspired Star) through the Symbol mare Cherish (Symbol x Inspired Star) and is by Satelite. He could fly, and his pedigree says he'll be a great sire. So if you go the speed route:
1) Best
2) Shield (Satelite x Briliancenevafades, making him a half to Fading Dreams [see above], so the Symbol is further back, and I don't think he was as talented as Best)

If you decide to go the opposite route and breed to stamina, Chesapeake Bay is the most obvious choice I can find, and Standard was sufficiently talented that I think its worth trying again. Honestly though, I think the mare's best results have come with speed-matings, and I'd be looking at Best.

As for Encore, I'd be avoiding adding in too much Silver Charm, or if you decide to go that route again, do it with the knowledge that you're looking at a horse that you never in its career want to race back-to-back, never want to race more than 6 times a year or so, and generally need to treat as a china vase. I've done it, and horses like that (cough, Icon, cough) can be BRILLIANTLY fast and UNBELIEVABLY talented, but they're difficult to manage. I made a career out of managing them in the old SIM, but I think there are better ways to do things. Encore is a half sister to the very underrated Derby Alert, which sends me looking for anything related to Derby Dancer (Sea Hero on top, Pike Place Dancer on the bottom). Again, I come back to Tremendous, and the Sea Hero is difficult to get here, but Tremendous's son Impressive brings in the Afleet By Night that crossed so well with Sea Hero to produce Sim Goddess and with Tremendous to get Impressive. Full disclosure: Impressive is mine, she just fits very well, especially in light of the fact that Symbol (a full brother to SIlver Valor) x Darling GOld = Stars Come Out, a very talented 3yo filly and KY Oaks hopeful. Then, stating the obvious, Walkover is Sea Hero x Pike Place Dancer, he's a fantastic choice. My suggestions:
1) Walkover
2) Impressive
3) Tremendous
4) End Result (Sim Goddess far back in the female family is appealing, and I like the male line here)
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Oh heavens. You're my hero.

:o <---look of awe.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Eric Nalbone wrote:
The last note on Sim Goddess is that I would NOT use Onwardsilvercharm. I loved him as a racehorse, but with all due respect, I think he's largely worthless as a sire. The primary asset of Silver Charm line horses is their blinding speed; Onwardsilvercharm, as a 1 1/4 mile horse, seemed to have little of it nor does he sire it. What he imparts to his offspring is toughness and soundness, but he hasn't sired a breakout horse, and too many people have sent him too many good mares to continue holding out hope that he'll get a breakout big horse simply because we wish it to be true. Even in the example of Close Call, I can't find a "BIG" horse that he beat; he made a very productive career out of running in the money behind the superstars and winning the odd stakes when he got away from the heavyweights, but he never established himself as a real force.
Just thought I'd add that I thought you might say this. And I gotta admit, Wally's a little sad about it. But he's gonna have a little talk with his, um, "swimmers" and see what he can do. ;)
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Eh, its not his fault. He's a decent sire and I've had my share of hard-knockers by him, he just doesn't sire that big horse.

He is, to me, a safe "newbie" sire. His horses always do whatever it is that they do, they've very consistient, hard to * up, easy to manage, etc. They're just not likely to be superstars. I like Wally, don't get me wrong, he's just come up a little short too many times to keep trying when there are so many alternatives.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Eric Nalbone wrote: Eh, its not his fault. He's a decent sire and I've had my share of hard-knockers by him, he just doesn't sire that big horse.

He is, to me, a safe "newbie" sire. His horses always do whatever it is that they do, they've very consistient, hard to * up, easy to manage, etc. They're just not likely to be superstars. I like Wally, don't get me wrong, he's just come up a little short too many times to keep trying when there are so many alternatives.
No hard feelings, I promise.
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

You're killing me, Eric, you really are.

Conduit is NOT predominantly a sire of either turf or dirt horses. He can sire either equally depending on the dam's line. His most successful offspring:

ATLAS: Only thought of as a turf horse because I made him one. He won the Dubai World Cup and Breeders' Cup Classic as well as three other Grade Ones on dirt.

CHEETAH: Nearly a millionaire by picking up second and third place checks in turf stakes. He's from the Glorious Song line as is Atlas, and many of that line run on turf although in many cases they COULD run on dirt, they just DON'T.

CUBISM: Like Cheetah, nearly a millionaire by placing and showing in stakes, except this time it's on dirt. He won the Arkansas Derby and was 2nd in the Donn and the Widener.

DUAL LEGACY: Six stakes wins on dirt, including two Grade Ones.

KONSTANTINE: Seven stakes wins on dirt, including the Donn and the 2yo Marathon.

LE DAUPHIN NOIR: European HOTY, English Derby winner, obviously turf. Dam by Cigar, who sires turf in the SIM.

LOKI DYNASTY: Tons of stakes wins, including the Kentucky Derby (dirt) and the Breeders' Stakes (turf, also the only turf race won by his sire).

LOOKIT: Champion Female Sprinter. Wins include the 2yo Sprint Championship. All dirt.

MAP: Full sister to Atlas, never ran on dirt because I just didn't run her there. Again from the Glorious Song line.

ONETODEFYALLOTHERS: 4 stakes wins, including the Wood Memorial, and a 2nd in the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

VENDETTA: 9 stakes wins on turf including the Irish Derby. Out of European HOTY Solstice.

WORLDS AN AUDIENCE: Breeders' Cup Mile winner and a turf champion. Dam line is turfy.

ZINFANDEL: Undefeated. 11 stakes wins, all dirt, including the Jockey Club Gold Cup.

So of these 13 millionaires or near-millionaires, only 6 can be thought of a turf horses. All of those six have female lines that are turf oriented, and one of those six (Atlas) has a better record on dirt than most dirt horses in the SIM.

The other 7 horses are all dirt horses, although one does have two wins on turf.

What was that you were saying about Conduit being a turf sire? :P
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Trust me, I'm aware of the fact that he can go both ways, and I very much love Conduit, and Atlas too, I just think that if he's on a limited book, his potential to sire a turf horse is an easier one to get a brilliant horse off of than a dirt horse.

Finally, I've mostly refused to go into discussions of who might or might not cross with Atlas, because you've taken care of it multiple times in greater detail than I ever care to go into with Atlas. At the end of the day, if he's on a limited book, everyone can pick a mare (almost at random) out of their broodmare band, breed to him, and be done with it; they all work and everyone knows that, with the possible exception of Conduit mares or mares sired by Storm Cat himself, you can make a case for crossing almost any mare to Atlas. We've seen it, I refuse to post it every post, because that gets boring and repetitive. Furthermore, while I don't dispute that Atlas was the single greatest runner ever in the SIM, I think Loki Dynasty has more sire potential: out of Sahara Gold, almost undoubtedly one of the game's 3 premier broodmares (I tend to count the three as Sahara Gold, Serena's Song, Pike Place Dancer, though yes, there can be cases made for half a dozen others, including Rain Dancer), I tend to like the odds when breeding to a half brother to Loki Flame.

Take it from another slant: if I have 1 breeding to Atlas, and as many as I want to Loki Dynasty (even though they're costly), I'm breeding a TURF mare to Atlas, because his female family says TURF more than Loki Dynasty's does. I'll breed my dirt mares to Loki Dynasty, and the turf mares to Atlas, because it seems like the safest bet. Why not just play the safest bets you can when you're breeding your mares?

Fiiiiinalllly, note that with the exception of Statgal, where I needed a Satelite son and there are no proven Satelite sons around, the sires that appeared high on my lists are proven. The three unproven sires in the list for Sim Goddess are listed 4-5-6 for a reason. Let other people spend a year experimenting with new stallions; the SIM is down so I can't check how many foals Atlas has, but I'd expect him to have a ton when its all said and done. Let those mares be the guinea pigs, because (as Onwardsilvercharm is a perfect example of!) not all stallions pass on their talent. So what if I have to pay through the nose for Atlas next year if he fulfills his potential and sires freakishly good horses like we expect him to? With mares like Sim Goddess and Statgal, I'd wager on a "safe" breeding to an established stallion with those mares being capable of producing a foal who will earn MORE than enough to send the mares to Atlas for the next 4 years, even if you set his fee at $200,000. The alternative is to have Atlas turn out to be a mild flop at stud, or sire turf when you sent him a dirt mare, or sire dirt when you sent him a turf mare, and unwittingly "waste" a breeding from the mare. That'd be a shame when I'm *positive* that you will be sending him an unbelievable group of mares with which to demonstrate his talent, as will other SIM players. The only stallions with which I'd be prepared to be the guinea pig are stallions who are mine. I'll send Empire Maker, Ghostzapper, Impressive, Icon, Saga, superstar mares from my own band because I have a vested interest in proving my stallions. In the case of stallions owned by other prolific breeders, one is basically assured that someone else will do all the guesswork, figure out a bunch of workable nicks, and make life a lot easier, leaving you to do none of that. All around simpler, more productive, safer, without making any value judgements at all on Atlas.

Anyway, thats the logic, its a little bit deeper than "Everything crosses with Atlas" or "Atlas might sire all turf," sooo.... make of it what you will...
Ara Davies

Post by Ara Davies »

I wasn't discussing Atlas, I was discussing Conduit and his propensity for siring both dirt and turf horses. I took offense at your categorizing Conduit as a turf sire. So long as you admit that Conduit sires just as many good dirt horses as turf horses I will be happy. :)

My first post in this thread had nothing whatsoever to do with the mares in question or who should breed who to Atlas. I could have started an entirely new thread. But when you accuse Conduit of being primarily a turf sire I feel the need to defend him. Yes I take this very seriously. :)
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Heh, fair.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

I certainly didn't intend to start an all-out battle. But I really appreciated all the input! I printed it. Maybe it will go in a frame. haha, jk. But I seriously appreciate your help.

The result was a colt by Sim Goddess out of Fading Dreams named Faded Belief.

Haven't decided on the other two yet.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Heh, Ali, if I didn't have someone to argue about breedings with, my life would be lacking. Actually, it wouldn't, I'm not quite THAT pathetic yet, but I'm on my way. Yeah. Anyway, as Jon used to say, its all in fun, and we're all mature enough to post our opinions any not get too bent out of shape about things. :P
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

I just gotta add.....VAMPIRE is dirt! :)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Has he ever run on turf?
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

:D