Need Some Advice...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lauren Gallop
Sprinter

Post by Lauren Gallop »

<a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=26250' target='_blank'>Strike Deadly</a> would be better off going to the Preakness, right? That was my original plan, but I'd like to see him run in the Derby. I'm just worried that he's not up to par with the other Derby horses and I'm risking too much by running him a week back. He's my first 'big' horse, so I want to make sure I'm doing right by him. An affirmation that I'm correct would be nice. :)
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

I don't know which race he should run in, but I have to say I'm one of his biggest fans! (I own his half sister, so I'll be rooting for him no matter where you go next!) Strike Deadly ROCKS.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky
Krystle Yanagihara
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Krystle Yanagihara »

I think you should wait for the Preakness. I don't think he'll take well to the Derby field.
Lauren Gallop
Sprinter

Post by Lauren Gallop »

The Preakness it is. :)

I know I'm asking a lot of questions about him, but does anyone think I should change his equipment? He bore out in the Fredrico Tesio, stumbled at the start of the Aventura, and was rank and bore out in the Two Year Old Marathon. He's been doing well with blinkers, a shadow roll, hind bandages, and front bandages, but I don't want him to bear out and/or be rank when he's facing tougher competition. I think he was lucky in the Fredrico Tesio. :unsure:
Sara Kendall
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Sara Kendall »

At least you have a nice 3yo colt...sorry I am just a bit down today.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

He's a nice colt, but he's certainly not in a position to contend in the Derby right now. The main reason for this is simply timing; turning a horse around off of a Week 5 prep race for the Derby in Week 6 is just asking for trouble, even if he beat a subpar group with ease last time out. Additionally, I'm not sure Lightninginabottle is going to wind up siring horses that appreciate the 10 furlongs of the Derby so much as he'll wind up siring very nice milers (The Two Year Old Marathon disaster in Week 16 reinforces this notion), so compounding that with the timing of his prep races leads me to agree that yes, he's better off going straight to the Preakness.

As far as his equipment goes, he's not shown any consistently recurring problems, and changing what seems to be working right before the biggest race of his life is always a big, big gamble. I'd say leave him the way he is now with his b/sr/hb/fb, and experiment after the Preakness if he blows the start or his turns again there.

He's a nice colt; good luck with him!