Steeplechase Entries

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Obviously, everyone's entitled to do what they want when they enter, but a major issue struck me when I was looking at current steeplechase entries.

There are 7 'chasing stakes over the next 2 weeks (3 @ Chaser Downs, 4 at Hurdle Park). All seven are FULL (by my count - 85 horses are in, the World Hurdle has 13). I went through and looked at them and only *25* of them have ever won a steeplechase... that's less than 30% of those entered. Not only does that more than likely place 60 horses over their heads, which is never a good thing, but it leaves the a bunch of horses who HAVE won without a spot to run in. It was one thing the first couple weeks of the year when they were all maidens, but there are now something like 82 horses who have won over fences. With more than half of the steeplechases availible being restricted to maidens, their options are already limited... and now unless their owner can get on RIGHT away to enter, they're being kept out of races theoretically for winners. So... I guess my point is, just try to keep in mind that when you enter, you're also keeping someone out. I'd advise people to think long and hard about if their horses belongs in a given spot or not. If you got pummeled in a maiden, odds are you're not going to run well in a stakes race against a couple of horses who HAVE won. You're going to lose your entry fee and, probably, the race. That's not in your best interest or in the best interest of your horse, who probably doesn't enjoy getting beat.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Susie is very right. With steeplechasing being so new, it's hard to figure out and there aren't many conditions to run in. Winners can only go in claimers or stakes. Why should they have to go in the claiming race if they can be competitive in stakes, but can't get into them when the races are filled with unqualified horses? Please try to be fair. If you were in the position with a winner who can't get in a race that it's suited for, wouldn't you be annoyed as well?

And like she said, if you've been finishing up the track in chases and the race has five horses in it who have won, you're just going to be wasting money on the entry fee and wasting the start.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

I'll third that... however, I don't even have any stakes quality chasers (yet?).

While chases are still new and everyone is trying to figure out what is going on with them, it is in your best interest to get your horse to break a maiden before entering the stakes company. In the first few weeks it was a little different, but now that there are "legit" winners, chances for breaking ones maiden in stakes company is going to be harder.

Horse placement is a HUGE part of the game strategy, so it is wise to place your horses where they will likely do their best.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I guess the silly thing is that to run a horse in a stakes takes money - take week 7's Grand National - 5 of the entered horses have never won a steeplechase, 4 haven't hit the board in a steeplechase - so those players are forking out $7500 of limited funds for a snowball's chance in H.E.hockeysticks of bringing home money.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Angela Dee Cochran
Eclipse Champion

Post by Angela Dee Cochran »

Im glad I dont have many chasers as it is hard to get them in a race at times. I agree with you guys and I will keep that in mind when I am entering them. I have 1 that has won and 1 that has placed the rest obviously have no reason to be in a stakes, but I had put one in a claiming for his first race because I hadnt been able to get him into a maiden race.

Can we sponser some races ?
Perfect Night
Standing in France for $35k
South American Champion Two Year Old Male
North American Champion Turf Sprinter
Year 26 Steward Cup Turf Sprint Winner
Year 25 Los Campeones Juniors Sprint Winner
LaDonna King
Eclipse Champion

Post by LaDonna King »

when the maiden races fill within 5 minutes of them being posted, you enter what you can where you can...otherwise you get shut out and your horses don't race period. while it might be very tough to break a maiden against winners, it's impossible to break a maiden sitting in the stall. none of my steeplechasers are racing this week or next week, as i can't seem to be able to get online quick enough to get mine entered....yet i'm usually online shortly after them being posted. i'm to the point right now that i'm just going to give them away...better to do that than let them sit and rot in the stall...
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

I have a steeplechaser that was set to run in the week 7 stakes race that won by 10 and now I can't run and that shouldnt be allowed. I sixth that!
Matthew McMahon
Classic Contender

Post by Matthew McMahon »

I have 2 steeplechasers that have broken their maiden, looking for a place to run in Week 7 ... but nothing :(
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I agree with Angela, can we sponser some steeplechase races?
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

OK, I just realized I have 2 maidens entered in stakes for week 6. I think when I entered them that was the only place I could enter, as the maiden races were already full. So I am guilty too.

Guess its time to sponsor some races.

;)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

You can sponsor as many steeples as you would like!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I agree with everything that has been said, as well! I haven't won a steeplechase, so mine are safely in maidens. I'd rather not hurt the confidence of my horses, than have them get pummeled. And Susie brings up a good point that because of this, people are getting shut out of the stakes races. Would it be fair to only allow winners over fences for the time being into the stakes races? Although that might shut out horses who finished on the board in stakes races Week 1, 2, etc. who had been entered there because of course at that point, nobody had won a steeplechase.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

I disagree with the premise of this thread. Whether it's foolish or not, or above the head of a particular horse or not, people have the right to enter a horse where they may. And honestly, if there's someone out there who is looking to claim steeplechasers for $25 or $30k when you can have them for significantly less than that on the sales page, I'd love to meet them.

Also, as has been pointed out, there aren't that many chase races out there. I don't begrudge a soul if they want to enter a maiden in a steeplechase stakes.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

J Slotman wrote: And honestly, if there's someone out there who is looking to claim steeplechasers for $25 or $30k when you can have them for significantly less than that on the sales page, I'd love to meet them.
The difference is that I haven't seen a single steeplechase winner on the sales page, at least for less than the claiming price. Sure, you can buy a horse cheap on the sales page as a steeplechase horse, but it won't be a winner, and probably deserves to be in a claiming race. The winners, at least of maiden special weight 'chases, don't deserve to be in a claiming race just because they can't get into a stakes race due to bad horses being entered. They may not deserve to be in the stakes, but they at least should get into allowance races, and I'm sure that the same problem is happening with allowance races.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Peihe Sun
Eclipse Champion

Post by Peihe Sun »

I would love to claim a steeplechaser who has won a race, Slotman, and that's the point of this thread. The owners of 'chasers would have broken their maidens are loathe to place their horses in claimers because they WILL be claimed, by people like me. But they can't enter stakes either, because people who will be forking over 7500 in stakes entry fees for their maiden steeplechasers have taken up all the available slots.
Warpath,
Faithful, Light of the Moon,
Unashamed, Clear Blue Sky