A Breeding Question

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

Black Condor got me thinking about distances, and how they mix in the sim. Say you breed BC to a turf sprinter, would you get a middle distance type? Or maybe a really fast longer distance type? Or would it just not work? I realize there are many variables, but lets say the bloodlines would be a good match. I'm really just wondering what some of you long time breeders have found out.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

It generally doesn't work. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I try to match to the best of my ability.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

In the few cases you find where it does work, it's usually because one of the parents was actually surface/distance versatile. Storm Cat is a good example of this since he's produced sprinters (like the Sideways Glance descendants) and stayers (like the Rain Dancer descendants).

Generally breeding a sprinter to a stayer is only going to give you a horse who is too slow to sprint and doesn't have the stamina for a route.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

In my opinion, you waste $150k by breeding a turf sprinter to Black Condor. Even if you hit the rare situation described by Ara (and there are a few instances where you might get a good horse because of that distance/surface versatility), I'll maintain that you could have had a _better_ horse if you'd bred to the mare's strength. Meaning, yeah you had a stakes winner breeding to Black Condor, but you could have had a champion had you bred to a turf sprinter that matched up well, pedigree-wise. Toss in the fact that the highest-priced turf sprint stallion stands for $100k, Guitar, and others stand for less than six figures, odds are that you could have had a much better foal for 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of breeding a Black Condor baby, and it becomes a no-brainer.

That said, for the four open slots, you can breed whomever you want to Black Condor, it's your dime (or however many of them equal $150k :P), but when I spend the big bucks to breed a mare to a high-priced stallion, I want to do my best to end up with a foal that has a legitimate shot of eventually earning back that stud fee on the track. Hope that helps!

Laura
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

Thanks! I figured as much :) I really did mean in general.