Breeding Quickie

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I want to breed a baby today in honor of my Poppop, who died on Monday, and who we buried today. I'd like to breed a mare who I just bought named Ice Maiden. She is by Silver Valor, out of Silver Maiden (Silver Buck, I believe). She already has winners by Black Ice, Sunday Silence, Dreams Are Forever, and Pico Central. The Pico Central has two wins, while the rest just broke their maidens.

I've been doing research for a few minutes now, and determined that my luck stinks. I found that Silver Valor mares recently have done well with Samurai, Villain, Jet Ski, Konstantine, Malibu Moon, Red Bullet and Impressive. At first I adored the Samurai idea...until I hypo-ed them and realized how inbred that would be. Also, Impressive is infertile this year. I'm not TOO fond of the Malibu Moon and Red Bullet ideas, and Villain has a closed book.

So that leaves Jet Ski or Konstantine. I haven't been a fan of Jet Ski lately, but that could be because my Catbaby filly by him stinks, so I may be biased. And I know very little about Konstantine. I have a 2yo by him who hasn't started yet.

I was also thinking about going sprint with her, because she has so many sprint winners, so that'd probably scratch off both of the above guys. I'd rather not go back to Pico Central, at least for right now, just because she already has two Pico babies. In looking at recent Silver Charm mares, I couldn't find much except for Ghostzapper, but that was Mirror's baby, so that doesn't REALLY count. ;)

The thing is, I desperately want to breed this baby TODAY, the day of the funeral. So if anyone might be able to help me out while I continue doing my research, I would be REALLY REALLY REALLY grateful. Thank you!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Sorry SIM being a bit slow at the moment for me but I'll be happy to help you once it's back up and chirping!
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

I'd go with something Vice Regent or Seattle Slew lined. Ghostzapper is really appealing, though you'd have to ask for a discount from Eric I think. Mayakovsky I like, too. Broken Vow, a Fappiano line horse, is also pricey but doing really well.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

I would not count her offspring above 4 years old. Those are old SIM horses, and the breeding shed abilities/good nicks of horses changed after that.

Even though her Pico Central baby is sprinty, I vote for a router sire for her. I would say Canoe, but he isn't at stud anymore. I do like Jet Ski though (see my own Lakeshore: <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=24253' target='_blank'>http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php ... =24253)</a>.

Konstantine gives you inbreeding to Silver Charm and Lady's Secret, neither of which I would suggest doing.

The others you mentioned are all sprint sires except Red Bullet maybe, but he is not impressive whatsoever as a sire. His horse out of a Silver Valor mare only won a maiden claiming race- not something to look for.

All that said... trying other dirt router sires could be a good idea. Just avoid Silver Charm/Lady's Secret inbreeding. Chinese Bandit is the first one that comes to my mind... that's a hot cross, I think.
RIVERSTONE FARM ~ Home of Champions ~ Farms in Kentucky, Germany, and Japan ~
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I was actually thinking about doing something with Seattle Slew, but I hadn't gone that deep into it yet. I noticed that Event of the Year crossed well with Silver Maiden, so that would be a good choice, I think.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

NikkiSherman wrote: I was actually thinking about doing something with Seattle Slew, but I hadn't gone that deep into it yet. I noticed that Event of the Year crossed well with Silver Maiden, so that would be a good choice, I think.
Vindication is hot too, if you wanted to try that. That's some of the best up close Slew blood in the game.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

If you're looking for something Slew-lined, Vindication is pretty darn ultra hot.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

NikkiSherman wrote: I'd rather not go back to Pico Central, at least for right now, just because she already has two Pico babies.
But Pico thinks she's soooo cute! B)
I'm just here for the fun of it
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Emily Mitchell wrote: I would not count her offspring above 4 years old. Those are old SIM horses, and the breeding shed abilities/good nicks of horses changed after that.
Yeah, I never do that when I'm looking to do any breeding. I usually only look at 2 and 3yos, and occasionally at 4yos.

I was also thinking about Loki Dynasty, shoot. Scratch that. How many horses HAVE Silver Charm in their pedigree, anyway? :huh:
Inspiration Stud
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Carolyn E wrote:
NikkiSherman wrote: I'd rather not go back to Pico Central, at least for right now, just because she already has two Pico babies.
But Pico thinks she's soooo cute! B)
I knew you'd say that. ;) Possibly in the future, she could see him again. I actually bought her to use on one of my own stallions, but I REALLY REALLY want this foal to have potential, just because he'll mean so much to me (yeah, it'll be a colt).

And I have to say...Vindication sounds like a PRETTY cross too. I may have to delve further now into that one!
Inspiration Stud
Emily Mitchell
Hall of Fame

Post by Emily Mitchell »

NikkiSherman wrote:
Emily Mitchell wrote: I would not count her offspring above 4 years old. Those are old SIM horses, and the breeding shed abilities/good nicks of horses changed after that.
Yeah, I never do that when I'm looking to do any breeding. I usually only look at 2 and 3yos, and occasionally at 4yos.

I was also thinking about Loki Dynasty, shoot. Scratch that. How many horses HAVE Silver Charm in their pedigree, anyway? :huh:
Silver Charm is EVERYWHERE. It's crazy. He's like Northern Dancer... in almost every pedigree! At least, it seems that way, doesn't it?
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

It's nuts! Every time I thought I had a stallion, there he showed up. Actually, the stallion I'm going to send Ice Maiden to has Charm in his pedigree too, but far back enough that at least two of us are convinced it'll be okay. So THANK YOU to everyone who helped!!!! And I think that next year, she's definitely going to Vindication for a filly...because I want a filly from him! ;)
Inspiration Stud
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

NikkiSherman wrote: I knew you'd say that. ;) Possibly in the future, she could see him again. I actually bought her to use on one of my own stallions, but I REALLY REALLY want this foal to have potential, just because he'll mean so much to me (yeah, it'll be a colt).
Out of curiosity, if you bought the mare to use on your own stallions, but you want this foal to have potential, is the implication that using her on your own stallions wouldn't give you a foal with potential? If that's the case, the inference is that your stallions don't have potential. Might want to rethink that logic, unless you really don't think your stallions have potential, in which case I'd be glad to take Refuse To Bend and Medallist off your hands! :D
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Oh no, I didn't mean it that way. I just am still fiddling around with the mares I'm sending to my own stallions (I also just bought Ifdreamscametrue and Willyoulistentome for my boys as well), and I REALLY wanted this particular foal to be the best that he could possibly be. It's true that he could turn out to be a dud, of course, but I'm hoping not. I'd also wanted a dirt horse, so that scratched out Refuse to Bend and Mystery Storm. To be honest, I'd actually bought her with the intention of sending her to Scottish Halo, but as he still doesn't have a winner (LOTS of placings though!), and I had wanted to breed that baby immediately, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. And right now I'm still trying to figure out whether Medallist will be siring sprinters or routers. Next year, barring infertility, she'll either go to the prettiness that is Vindication, or my original plan of Scottie.
Inspiration Stud