Attn: Karl Babin

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ryen Hanna
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ryen Hanna »

I was looking for a way to message Karl Babin, but I guess he doesn't have messaging on.

The horse Pocono is entered in this week's "Florida Stakes" at Futurity Park. He's only 2 years old and this will be his FIFTH start! He has run weeks 1, 2, 4, 6, and now 7. Please consider scratching him for his own health. He may be in danger of breaking down.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

oh please scratch the young colt from the race, please please please
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Not only that, he also worked weeks 5 and 7.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Please and he's not the only one..... Natalie Spring if you see this you need to scratch Grey Wolf... his FORTH start as a TWO year old... weeks 1, 3,4, 7 I think he needs a rest...
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I'm frustrated with one of the 2yos I bred, too. His name is Mudslide, and I modeled him off of stakes winner Slip and Slide. I sold him as a yearling or early in his 2yo year, and I can't get ahold of his new owner. The poor guy actually looks like he has some talent, but he's run Week 1, 3, 5 and is entered for 8. He also shipped cross-country twice.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Sad :( don't think the new player knows what will come... but hopefully will learn.

One thing that I notice about this horse is that is one tough horse. If you are looking for soundness in bloodlines, well here is a good example. Just too bad that it takes something like this to find that out.
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Some people simply need to learn the hard way. It's unfortunate.
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

I had a very fortunate buy recently. I bought an old runner that was given to me before the SIM went on a hiatus in 2003, and then lost track of. The price was steep ($70k) but worth it. His owner was very new and had run him four weeks in a row. He had ten other horses, two of which had injuries from being over-raced. I sent him a calm but lengthy PM and then thanked him for returning my old boy home. You know what it was? Lack of education. He had no idea that he couldn't run them every week. He took my advice to heart and I'm sure he'll be more careful from now on. Odds are, this person doesn't even know that he's doing wrong, and when the horse gets injured or dies, he won't put two and two together.

I don't know how to further educate new players. There's so many articles and tutorials out there already. Maybe new players, during their first 20 weeks, get little hints and such on each of their horse's pages...like a little blurb in the box where it says where the horse has been shipped and such, "Week 7 Hint - you should not race this horse this week."

I don't know what else to do. :(
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Amanda Saunders wrote: I don't know what else to do. :(
Yeah, unfortunately, some people will continue to overrace even after having a horse break down or die. I know we feel a sense of obligation to save the poor horse, but really, it isn't our responsibility. Message a player if you see them overracing a horse with a friendly suggestion, and after that, you've done your bit and if they continue to overrace you just do what you can to ensure no horse of yours ever falls into their hands.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I know a lot of older players give away horses to new players to help out. After sending the "offer" message" - send a standard message with certain stock advice - never run horses back to back/2yo's more than every 3-4 weeks or you'll destroy them, and any other tidbits you like to add.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

The player in question has his message services blocked and might not be reading the forums, but I would hope that is a very rare thing here.
I see one of the players mentioned here, didn't respond to this post but maybe read it, or did get an email they read and scratched the horse in question.

As far as sending 'stock' messages to new players upon the purchase of new horses...as one who does read the forums, which I think most new players do.. I kind of find that idea of being constantly reminded about something slightly insulting.

I don't want sellers again and again and again with each purchase I make telling me how the horses should be managed....New players are Not all stupid and we already KNOW about that kind of stuff.

I know as a new player it's easy to forget or not know something the first few weeks...and then a message would be welcomed. But again I would like to say that most of the time I doubt that communication between players is a problem since most new players have opened their email services and read the forum.

I guess what I'm saying is don't group all the new players into one catagory of 'they're stupid' and start treating them like 'mentaly challenged' people who needs to be reminded each and every time they buy a horse about what they should or should not do with their newly acquired runner.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I understand your offence Stormy. However, I personally consider ALL newbies "green" (NOT Stupid, just unknowing) until they prove otherwise.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

I have to agree with Brianna. I think we old players feel we understand the sim racing and its lines better than new players just coming on the scene.
Even us old players learn new things from others.
I know I will message players who have horses I bred if I think they are overracing or racing on the incorrect surfaces, distances, etc or perhaps need an equipment change.
For me its a matter of pride, I want the stock I breed to be the best they can be on the track and in the breeding shed. I am sure there are other old players who feel the sameway.
For a lot of us these sim horses are very real to us and we worry over them probably more than we should(LOL).
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

As a newb I tend to agree with Stormy here.

With that said, the amount of time I spend feeling pretty (ok totally) clueless about breeding lines and such in this game is pretty significant. Frankly, it's downright embarrassing. I recently bought a couple of pretty inexpensive mares (I think Dave S. was getting rid of some stock a few nights back) and I thought about a post asking who I should breed to but I just figured I'd sound like a complete fool, so I didn't. I had some game points and went that route instead (is that considered bad form, by the way?) on the stallions.

This is proving to be a TOUGH game for me, which probably explains why it's so addictive.

I do think that perhaps the newb page could be more prominently displayed or maybe just have something that says "Hey newbs, be sure to read this simformation link before getting started." I seem to remember it was pretty clear when I signed up though. I don't know.

Hey Stormy, like you I'm gonna need a couple of OTB finishes in the next few weeks or it'll be time to polish up those journalism skills for The Feature Race. :ph34r:

OK I'm babbling...carry on.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

Lol it seems that those newbies on the forum feel like Stormy does, but I guarantee you, when you have your dynasty and have your own apprentices...you'll feel exactly like Brianna and the rest of us old pros do.

Just you wait and see.
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.