Ravel...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emily Thompson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Emily Thompson »

is off the Derby trail, says roadtotheroses.com and the DRF. According to trainer Todd Pletcher, Ravel has developed "what appears to be the beginnings of a fracture in his left front cannon bone".

Too bad, he was one of my top picks. :(

Edit: I don't know if everyone has access to the article on DRF without signing up, so I've posted it below.

Ravel, who won last month's Sham Stakes at Santa Anita and would have been one of the leading contenders in the Grade 1, $750,000 Santa Anita Derby on April 7, is out of that race and off the trail for the May 5 Kentucky Derby after developing what appears to be the beginnings of a fracture in his left front cannon bone, trainer Todd Pletcher said Wednesday morning.

According to Pletcher, Ravel first was "a little off in his left front" over the weekend. Subsequent X-rays failed to find a problem, but when Ravel was examined via nuclear scintigraphy, "it lit up his left front cannon bone," Pletcher said.

"We can't find anything on the X-rays, but the feeling, based on the nuclear scintigraphy, is that he's starting to develop a fracture, and it would turn into a condylar fracture if we breezed him," Pletcher said from Florida. "It's a tough blow. He's obviously a talented horse, but it wasn't meant to be."

Pletcher said Ravel likely would be out of training for three months, and then point for a fall campaign, but said it was hard to pinpoint the length of his recovery due to the lack of specificity regarding the injury.

"It's rest and no surgery at this point," Pletcher said.

Ravel is owned by Derrick Smith and Michael Tabor.

With Ravel out, Pletcher said that Santa Anita Oaks winner Rags to Riches is possible for the Santa Anita Derby.

"She'll either run there or in the Ashland at Keeneland on April 7, or just train up to the Kentucky Oaks. I won't make a decision on that until next week," Pletcher said.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Dum dum dum... another one bites the dust....

This horse was suspicious from the beginning. Horse is going to have 2 months in between races? Give me a break.

Let's go Rags!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

Come on Raggy!
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I'd be a bit more dissapointed if this didn't leave the door open for Big Filly to step up. Go Rags go!
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Patten Fuqua
Classic Contender

Post by Patten Fuqua »

Her brother says that if she beats the boys, he'll let her squish his lips...
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

Totally agree that Ravel was suspicious anyway. I'm pulling for Hard Spun this weekend. Go Philly!
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012