New Navigation Menu technology

Any information from the Steward
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Chani Ruzzo
Hall of Fame

Re: New Navigation Menu technology

Post by Chani Ruzzo »

Honestly I like the new logo, love that things are getting to be more user friendly for smartphone users.

But. On my computer. The menu looks a bit clunky, boxes vs. words don't really look visually pleasing. Maybe I like the old layout better when the menu didn't take up 1/4 of my screen and was not as long/wide.
Gryphon Flight Stud, Home of Stallions: What Would You Do, Heartbrake Hotel, Remembered Soldier, Courageous Angel, Cowboy Builder, Bird Jumper, Touchdown Raiders, Dubai Awesmoness, Sikorsky, Faith in the Child, and Touchdown Dancer.
Patrick O'Malley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Patrick O'Malley »

Just a little heads up for Admin, while the new menus are nice and I'm sure the iThing crowd are happy, they're pretty hard to use in a no-mouse environment. And before anyone cries luddite, a no-mouse environment is what a lot of visually and otherwise impaired people use to navigate their computers. I have no idea right now just how big an issue this is but I suspect it might be significant, as my keyboard-centric workflow need some readjustment and that usually coincide with problems for these adaptive techs.
It's alive!
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Chani Ruzzo wrote:Honestly I like the new logo, love that things are getting to be more user friendly for smartphone users.

But. On my computer. The menu looks a bit clunky, boxes vs. words don't really look visually pleasing. Maybe I like the old layout better when the menu didn't take up 1/4 of my screen and was not as long/wide.
I didn't notice a size difference on my screen
Chani Ruzzo
Hall of Fame

Post by Chani Ruzzo »

Abe Froman wrote:
Chani Ruzzo wrote:Honestly I like the new logo, love that things are getting to be more user friendly for smartphone users.

what my screen looks like. like the menu is too big to even fit on my screen = not liked
Gryphon Flight Stud, Home of Stallions: What Would You Do, Heartbrake Hotel, Remembered Soldier, Courageous Angel, Cowboy Builder, Bird Jumper, Touchdown Raiders, Dubai Awesmoness, Sikorsky, Faith in the Child, and Touchdown Dancer.
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

It's really big on my screen too. Not a huge fan of having to wait to use the home page instead of just being able to click My Office. I don't use the SIM on my phone (and people actually buy tablets?) so I'm not really a fan.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

The iThing people are pleased.....though this iThing person is looking forward to getting his mitts on a Microsoft Surface.

I logged on with my work laptop yesterday and didn't notice a difference.
Three Crowns Racing
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Three Crowns Racing »

Chani Ruzzo wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:

what my screen looks like. like the menu is too big to even fit on my screen = not liked
It has a lot to do with screen resolution. The menus don't take up that much of my screen because I'm using a higher screen resolution, but the menus are definitely 50% longer, or more, than they used to be. I'm guessing that the added spacing between options is to make it easier to select each menu item on touch screens?
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Julie Kluesener wrote:Not a huge fan of having to wait to use the home page instead of just being able to click My Office.
I have to get used to that too. I was notorious for just clicking My Office. Now I just have to get used to clicking the logo to the left of it. Same result.
Three Crowns Racing
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Three Crowns Racing »

Abe Froman wrote:
Julie Kluesener wrote:Not a huge fan of having to wait to use the home page instead of just being able to click My Office.
I have to get used to that too. I was notorious for just clicking My Office. Now I just have to get used to clicking the logo to the left of it. Same result.
Right. it isn't like you have to use the menu; you can still easily get to your home page in one click.
Abe Froman
Hall of Fame

Post by Abe Froman »

Tyler Simmons wrote: It has a lot to do with screen resolution.
I guess I didn't consider screen resolution. I always have one of the highest available, in my laptop being 1680x1050.
A.R. Roberts
Grade 2 Winner

Post by A.R. Roberts »

Very cool! Loving this! Thank you!!!
@AR_Roberts
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Julie Kluesener wrote:It's really big on my screen too. Not a huge fan of having to wait to use the home page instead of just being able to click My Office. I don't use the SIM on my phone (and people actually buy tablets?) so I'm not really a fan.
It is a definite change to re-train your brain/hand coordination to click slightly to the left of the old My Office button for the quick link that was mentioned in the first post of this thread, but I think in no time we will both relearn it.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
J K Rowling
Eclipse Champion

Post by J K Rowling »

The Steward wrote:
Julie Kluesener wrote:It's really big on my screen too. Not a huge fan of having to wait to use the home page instead of just being able to click My Office. I don't use the SIM on my phone (and people actually buy tablets?) so I'm not really a fan.
It is a definite change to re-train your brain/hand coordination to click slightly to the left of the old My Office button for the quick link that was mentioned in the first post of this thread, but I think in no time we will both relearn it.
Didn't even realize it until Jarrod mentioned it. But that spacing, oy, that spacing.
"The way I look at it, I'm not meeting anyone better than Julie K... so what am I missing?"

The Sim: Where the horses are made up and cheating doesn't matter.
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

Love the new menus and like the updated logo, but mostly I love Chani's silks.
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

My only issue is that I was never a big fan of the forum opening as a separate window, but there's no option from the menu to do anything but open a new window now.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012