Bay Meadows To Close

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

So the real life Bay Meadows will close after this year concludes...will the SIM reflect that change? Do we want the SIM Bay Meadows to close? Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

<a href='http://drf.com/news/article/83412.html' target='_blank'>http://drf.com/news/article/83412.html</a>
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

I almost want to cry.
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

MichelleCalderoni wrote: I almost want to cry.
Yeah...it's a very unfortunate loss, which is why I vote to keep the SIM Bay Meadows alive. It's kind of like keeping it's spirit alive.
~ Mandy ~

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

There's a SIM Hialeah and that hasn't been open for years in real life. I see no reason why the SIM Bay Meadows would have to close.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

Bay Meadows is 20 minutes from my house, where Golden Gate Fields is about an hour drive. Bay Meadows is where I grew up lol. I wish it was staying.
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Sarah Anne
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Sarah Anne »

I've never been there, but I always thought it looked nice from what I saw in pictures... everything always has to go for those expensive, ungly (in my opinion) houses... :rolleyes:
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I loved Bay Meadows... they've been saying for what, 11 years now that it's going to close? I keep saying I'll believe it's closing when it's closed! But this seems more real.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Friedrich Barbarossa
Hall of Fame

Post by Friedrich Barbarossa »

Hialeah......sniff.

Prepare to shed a tear: <a href='http://icuban.com/hialeah_park.html' target='_blank'>http://icuban.com/hialeah_park.html</a>
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I went to Hialeah the year before it closed - it was gorgeous, and all those Flamingos flying around, somehow, they never seemed to o it during the race. And the Bougainvillea - it's everywhere, and amazing. Now, the drive to get to Hialeah, that's another story...
I'm just here for the fun of it
Faith Powers
Derby Contender

Post by Faith Powers »

Great Lakes Downs is closing too :( I hope it stays open here on the Sim though, so I can atleast race at it even if I won't be able to attend it every other day like I'm used to doing. :(
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

I don't know what I'd do if Laurel closed. I feel so bad for you Michelle, and you Faith. I bet it's like losing a second home. :(
~ Mandy ~

Faith Powers
Derby Contender

Post by Faith Powers »

I don't know what I'll do with myself after this meet ends in November. Unless we can get racinos (which won't happen...stupid anti-gambling people...BAH) GLD won't have the $$$ to go on. It's more than just the track too, it's the people. All and I mean ALL of the jockeys know me, a few I know quite well. I know the trainers, owners, heck, even the security people on the frontside, as well as backside (even though I can't find a job there <_< ) I'm gonna miss it. :(
Karie McBrian
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Karie McBrian »

Great Lakes Downs might be open another year. Magna is "talking" to the horseman about leasing it out for one more (and final) year.

So you go there everyday? Can you check on horses for me sometimes?
In the past its been a PAIN for me to make the drive from Livonia. It seems someone always has a horse they want me to check on or try and take a picture of it because they are buying it.. If you were there and know everyone already that would be really awesome!
Steve Martinelli
Sprinter

Post by Steve Martinelli »

Gosh even a thread about it here....news travels fast. On a Sim note, some of my horses are named after personal Bay Meadows-related things like Drivedownelcamino, the the road I took to get to BM from my house before I learned the freeway is not evil, Box Dee Two Oh One, which was the box my dad and I occupied in the Club House on so many days, Saturdayatthebay....Saturdays were fun there! I cant put anything into words as to what Bay Meadows has meant to me...everyone knew it was coming but I wish I had a couple more years. I've gone there since I was a little kid and have worked there the last 2 years...it'll be weird to not get up in the morning and go there anymore when that time comes. :(
Sean Feld
Derby Contender

Post by Sean Feld »

Iv never been to Hialeah but I have driven around the area of Hialeah and its one of the shadiest places I have ever been.