Bay Meadows To Close

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Sean Feld wrote: Iv never been to Hialeah but I have driven around the area of Hialeah and its one of the shadiest places I have ever been.
Worse than the area around Hollywood Park?
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

I've never been to any of the tracks mentioned here, but I'm dying to get to California, and I have ALWAYS wanted to at least drive to Hialeah and try to walk around if there's even a parking lot left there. I'm pretty sure the track's still there, just is sitting there empty and waiting. And I've taken care of a few horses from Great Lakes, so I'm shocked to hear they'll probably be closing. A couple of trainers I've known came from there, or ship out of there for the winter to come to either PA or KY.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Faith Powers
Derby Contender

Post by Faith Powers »

NikkiSherman wrote: I've never been to any of the tracks mentioned here, but I'm dying to get to California, and I have ALWAYS wanted to at least drive to Hialeah and try to walk around if there's even a parking lot left there.  I'm pretty sure the track's still there, just is sitting there empty and waiting.  And I've taken care of a few horses from Great Lakes, so I'm shocked to hear they'll probably be closing.  A couple of trainers I've known came from there, or ship out of there for the winter to come to either PA or KY.
what trainers and horses from GLD do you know?
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

To be honest, I don't remember off the top of my head. Horses used to come from all over the place for the winter meets where they'd close. I do know that a couple of grays were down in Virginia when I was there, and they were being broke for GLD. One was Leapshin, but I don't remember the other. As for trainers...whew. I just can't remember. But I do remember Leapshin. He was kind of reddish-gray, while the other gray was a steel gray. Silver something was his name, which I'm sure doesn't help! They both came from the same farm though.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Ian Nicastrin
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Ian Nicastrin »

Dave Shields wrote:
Sean Feld wrote: Iv never been to Hialeah but I have driven around the area of Hialeah and its one of the shadiest places I have ever been.
Lol... Dave... racing the horses in the hood toughens em up
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Ian N wrote:
Dave Shields wrote:
Lol... Dave... racing the horses in the hood toughens em up
Yeah I would think so.

I remember one time Emily and I were there and I couldn't keep count of the gun-shots we heard in the distance, plus all the sirens blaring. The horses did seem unfazed by it. I don't remember if that was the same day we drove around trying to find the freeway, but that was an experience all on its own.

That area isn't as scary as other "hoods", but I feel safer leaving before dark.