Breeding Help Please

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Norman Architecture »

Can some of the sims breeding guru's give some advice please.

I have purchased 2 mare's Worth a shot and Storia d'Amore , both by the sire Worth Fighting For (Fighting With Wit) , the dam sire's are A P Indy and Seattle Slew , i think they both would make lovely broodmares to breed with at seasons end.

I want use as much of my 200 grand as i need to, so i was thinking of using Either Villain (if Mallory would agree) or Vindication , both of these would give me an inbreeding with Seattle Slew , would this be o.k ?

My other thought's were using the ever popular Ghostzapper or Throne , he is unproven but plenty of the good , more experienced owners such as Eric Nalbone and John xett , have sent mare's with similar bloodlines to him.

Or are there any that would work well that may be retiring at the end of the season?

All help very welcome

Norman.
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

Worth A Shot has lovely breeding and seems to be quite talented. To be honest, if I was you I would not be retiring her any time soon. She could be a nice moneymaker for you this year and next. If you're too anxious, though, I understand. :P

She seems to want (and is bred for) distances of over a mile. That automatically throws out Villain. He is 100% sprinter and your baby would just end up confused about distances. I don't mind the Vindication cross here, but 2x4 is on the verge of too close (in my opinion - others disagree with much success). If you like the inbreeding, I'm going to take this moment to pimp Chief Seattle. He's also by Seattle Slew, and he's done well with mares of much lower quality than yours. Also, he's way cheap. I don't mind Throne or Ghostzapper with this girl, either, but I like to think that there are cheaper boys out there that you can go to until the mare proves she's worth the larger fees.

Storia D'Amore has Seattle Slew way too close to go to Vindication or any other up-close Slew line. Also my opinion, but 2x3 is awful close. Pretty much everything else applies to this mare as the last.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Where you stumbled on Worth A Shot for $20,000 I'll never figure out, but she's easily woth several hundred thousand dollars or more. I'm with Ali in that I'd be looking for something other than more Seattle Slew blood, so I'd toss out the idea of Vindication.

I really like the idea of Throne here, however. Two of Worth Fighting For's best runners (the full siblings Enforcer and Coup D'etat) are out of an Heir To The Throne mare, and crossing to Throne reverses that cross. The only caveat there is that while it might be your best option, its not going to produce a precocious horse. Throne, Worth Fighting For, and Enforcer were all best as four year olds, so I'd expect that a Throne x Worth A Shot cross would need a little bit of time to mature. That said... when it matures it could be special.

If you don't want to go to an unproven stallion, Ghostzapper works if you want to go that route (full disclosure; I own him, so I'm biased). The two winners by Ghostzapper out of Battle Cry-lined mares are Ghost Bar and Ghost In The Bar, two very solid horses. Other options include Chesapeake Bay (bringing in Gentleman blood much like you'd be trying to do with Throne) or Loki Dynasty. Its hard to go wrong with Loki Dynasty; by my count at least 10 of his winners are out of Battle Cry-lined mares so the cross works, clearly.

I bred Storia D'Amore, and she's got beautiful lines as well, but they're so similar to Worth A Shot that its not worth going through the same explanations again. For all practical and useful purposes, they're the same entity to consider when breeding, and what is applicable to one is applicable to both.
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Thanks Ali and Eric for the good advice.

Norman.
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

Ali LaDuke wrote: Worth A Shot has lovely breeding and seems to be quite talented. To be honest, if I was you I would not be retiring her any time soon. She could be a nice moneymaker for you this year and next. If you're too anxious, though, I understand. :P
WOW, you have two nice mares! I completely agree with Ali here on this issue, although I see where being a new player you'd just want to strengthen your broodmare band. I did the same thing at first, prematurely retiring horses (though they were 3- or 4yos, not 5) just to have broodmares. Now that I have in the neighborhood of 100 mares though, I've been letting them do their thing on the racetrack (if I hadn't booked Incandescent to Villain already, I'd be tempted to keep her in training!). Either way...these are two BEAUTIFUL finds for you!
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

I have decided to keep WORTH A SHOT in training until the end of next Sim year and then think about it again.

Storia D'Amore will retire and go visit THRONE. I am also going to retire a Dirt CAH called Zest For Life , she will go to Ghostzapper.

That's if my ponies can keep on earning the money.....LOL.

I have now just lost my new player status... DAY RATE.......Aaaaarrrrgggghhh !
Regal Farms