Rocky Catalono Please Read

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

Oh my goodness...Rocky please scratch your 2 yr old Great Fun... It would be a travesty to see a yr old Funny Cide Colt break down. Running any horse 3 weeks in a row is a recipe for disaster...running a 2 yr old that much is certain trouble.

I recognize you might be new ..I would recommend checking out these boards to get help from some of the Veteran's in the room....

PS if you don't scratch you can rest assured your horse will be claimed :-)
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

Eeks I have blown all my money on yearlings this week.. I can't afford to claim this horse.. I sure hope someone clicks on claim to save this poor little guy... (for those of you trying to snag this horse without getting the attention I apologize!)

Oh and by the way I am writing a column of do's and don'ts --A newbies Guide to the sim---Inspired by reading Randall's articels.. They crack me up..I hope you find the submission funny..It has been fun writing.!

-I work all day and won't have it submitted by race time...hence the money issue..
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Lauren Gallop
Sprinter

Post by Lauren Gallop »

robkilbourn wrote: Eeks I have blown all my money on yearlings this week.. I can't afford to claim this horse.. I sure hope someone clicks on claim to save this poor little guy... (for those of you trying to snag this horse without getting the attention I apologize!)

Oh and by the way I am writing a column of do's and don'ts --A newbies Guide to the sim---Inspired by reading Randall's articels.. They crack me up..I hope you find the submission funny..It has been fun writing.!

-I work all day and won't have it submitted by race time...hence the money issue..
I don't know that claiming the horse is the best thing to do overall.
Giving them $20,000 for a horse who might not be worth it isn't going to show them that it's bad to run their horses a lot.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

I think it's more about giving the horse a better home, not about giving the owner money.
Rayne Wyatt
Derby Contender

Post by Rayne Wyatt »

Yes, but I see Lauren's point.

By giving the player $20K for that colt, sure *that* colt might be safe - but the lesson wont have been learnt an so he/she will continue to over-race his/her other horses... meaning in the long run more might break down. If this one breaks down, maybe it'll trigger something an he/she will learn not to over-race the rest...

Does that make sense?
Lauren Gallop
Sprinter

Post by Lauren Gallop »

Rayne Wyatt wrote:Yes, but I see Lauren's point.

By giving the player $20K for that colt, sure *that* colt might be safe - but the lesson wont have been learnt an so he/she will continue to over-race his/her other horses... meaning in the long run more might break down. If this one breaks down, maybe it'll trigger something an he/she will learn not to over-race the rest...
And in that case, if the owner realizes that they can race the horse all they want and still get money for him/her, they'll just keep over-racing and getting more and more money from it. People trying to save the horse will end up with less money and a broken down horse. The owners who get money from breaking down and over-racing their horses might not care that it's happening as long as they get the claim money, so they'll keep doing it.

Just my opinion, though. I'd like all the horses to be safe, but sometimes I think it's best for owners to learn a lesson the hard way.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

I'm so excited I just was talking to a very new player about a 2 year old he was going to race week 9 after racing week 7 and I suggested he wait one more week to race him and he listened! He actually scratched the horse!! Sometimes we really can make a difference.
S.C. Burns

Post by S.C. Burns »

Rayne Wyatt wrote: Yes, but I see Lauren's point.

Does that make sense?
Honestly, that doesn't stop some people. If they don't read enough of the SIM's instructions to know that racing so often will hurt a horse, then they likely won't understand that the horse's injury is their fault. They'll probably just figure that it happens sometimes.

In any case, I've claimed him, he's injured for 3 weeks, and he's not going to be raced for a long, long time.

Besides, I can't claim 100% altruism. If he heals enough and is raced properly, he could be a decent colt!