Earmuffs, No Whip, or Blinkers. Need Help

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Fox
Eclipse Champion

Post by Tammy Fox »

Okay here is the running line for one of my fillies

Two of Angels 3yrF 4-1-1-2 Broke well, stalked, overlook leaders far turn, green stretch.

I see she did well early on in the race but when she hit the backstretch she went green. I am thinking she needs No Whip or Ear Muffs since usually I am assuming they run green through most of the race if they need blinkers.

What do you think?
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I'd try a figure eight bridle first. Less drastic, and she's just green. Also, is she a two-year-old? Or a very lightly-raced horse? Because it might just be an experience thing too. But a figure eight bridle could work.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

If the running line is ever talking about the backstreatch, it will say backstretch. Otherwise, all "stretch" references mean the stretch... the one before the wire.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I'd run the horse again and not change anything. A horse running greenly isn't usually the result of equipment problems, but inexperience. Seeing a horse name helps with these kinds of questions, because if the comment is next to a 4yo veteran of 15 starts, you mess with equipment, but it sounds like the running line of a first time out 2yo.

No whip you risk the horse having even less incentive to run straight down the stretch. Running greenly usually involves any combination of loafing on the lead and lacking the instinct to just demolish a field, or weaving through the stretch, failing to switch leads, or swerving dramatically as the horse switches leads [leads, for those unaware of what they are, refer to the leg a horse starts off the stride with, i.e. which leg "leads" the stride... someone with a little bit more knowledge of the mechanics of it all can describe it]).

Earmuffs... if the horse shies at crowd noise, put earmuffs on. I didn't hear anything mentioning any reaction to crowd noise, and earmuffs are a general esoteric last-resort, unless you're Susie and happen to have owned the one horse in the SIM that benefitted most from earmuffs and have compelling evidence to support the notion that earmuffs might do something other than make a horse look stupid. :P All in fun, Susie, Birthday Candles rocked!

Blinkers... maybe the most likely fix, if one is needed, would help the horse maintain focus through the stretch. The potential for disaster, however, with blinkers, especially on a young or inexperienced horse, is high. He'll be faster out of the gate, and when you have a horse thats willing to relax off the pace and doesn't NEED the lead, they're in better shape for more races. Listen to the Podcast and the description of Strongerable's SA Derby for the pitfall potential associated with a "need-the-lead" horse.

I agree with Mallory though. Run the horse once more, see if it happens again. If it does, try a figure 8. Then blinkers. Shadow roll can't hurt.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Eric Nalbone wrote: earmuffs might do something other than make a horse look stupid
You say that like Birthday wouldn't look stupid WITHOUT the earmuffs! :D

The legend that is Birthday, of course, won the Mile decked out not ONLY in earmuffs, but 4 wraps, lasix, a nasal strip, blinkers, a figure 8, and a shadow roll.

I actually had someone else I ran with earmuffs with success, but I can't remember who it was... I was just looking @ their record not to long ago, too.

Long live Birthday Candles! A god amongst horses!

Or, um, something.