Rankings

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Biff Tannen
Miler

Post by Biff Tannen »

Are rankings cumulative? Also, I've noticed the Triple Crown rankings, but how does the BC rankings work? And if you nominate your horse, how would you know which one he/she qualifies for? Thanks so much -- Scott
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Rankings are cumulative over the racing career of a horse. The BC rankings work just like the Triple Crown, however, I believe the races in the BC are limited to 14 spots... not sure though. As for what race to qualify for, well there are really only restrictions on age/gender-for filly races (i.e. 2yo races are limited to 2yos only, 3yo and up, etc.). If you are planning on sending a horse to the BC, you should know what surface and distance your horse will best perform at and place that horse accordingly.

The BC races are tough, they are like the Championships for all the SIM. While I nominate horses that "probably" won't make it, I do nominate just in case the second half of the year is when they start to really hit their mark. Of course as the SIM is like real life, longshots have been known to come from "nowhere" to claim victory - so if there is one time not to be afraid and duck out due to competition, the BC is the place. Also, not all the big names take a spot in the races, they may be in other parts of the world looking to take another prestigious race that happens week 16.
Rob Canterbury
Eclipse Champion

Post by Rob Canterbury »

Dave,

at what poitn do you decide which of the choices you are pointing them to.. I know it is not when you first nominate.. do we wait until the 16th week before we place them into the race we are interested.. then see if they have enough points to qualify?
Live Strong- Baltimore crown champion- dirt route
Its a Gamble--MONSTER!
Afriad to Lead-- SC winner
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I think that we pre-enter week 14, or 15. So no horse that is running in the BC can run week 15. You don't have to decide the race you want until that pre-entry date.

in RL the first 7 spots are by ranking and the last 7 spots are chosen through a commitee.
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

Are the horses ranked by category as in 2yo sprinter fillies, 2yo stayer fillies etc? or is it the top ranked horse picks his race, second ranked horse picks his place etc.. until the races fill? I hope this isnt a stupid question but this is my first BC time here..lol.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Biff Tannen
Miler

Post by Biff Tannen »

Dave,

On a side note...Moog broke his maiden last week at Futurity, 1 mile Dirt NW2. The time is not overly impressive (1:39.26), but he did beat a few 1 win horses and based on the results, it looks like he battled it out. I think I might have to nominate him just in case and hope to win another NW2 and a stakes race to get him to 50ish points! Either that or I'll be praying for an upset shocker!!! Thanks again for the colt. -- Scott

BTW...besides the $5k nominating fee, is there any other entrance fees that I will have to pay?
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

Scott Pho wrote: Dave,

On a side note...Moog broke his maiden last week at Futurity, 1 mile Dirt NW2. The time is not overly impressive (1:39.26), but he did beat a few 1 win horses and based on the results, it looks like he battled it out. I think I might have to nominate him just in case and hope to win another NW2 and a stakes race to get him to 50ish points! Either that or I'll be praying for an upset shocker!!! Thanks again for the colt. -- Scott

BTW...besides the $5k nominating fee, is there any other entrance fees that I will have to pay?
Congrats on Moog!

Here is a good example of a "just in case" nomination. Although he has yet to take a stakes win, it is conceivable that he could be up for the 2yo sprint or 1 1/6m in the BC. I ran Torero with only a maiden win last year and he faired very well, so you never know. If money is an issue, hit up the Feature Race and submit an article to more than cover the cost. There are no other fees for the BC.

**Edit: Oops, I totally forgot about the % of the purse fee currently on all stakes races, so yeah just like the stakes race fees. :)**

Mac,

Rankings are listed only by age and gender. To rank by sprinter, router, turf, dirt, etc. would make the game a bit less challenging. Since it is up to us to figure out our own horses, I don't see a ranking system break down further happening.

I don't remember exactly how it worked last year, but I think spots are filled week 14 and if needed horses get bumped to make room for higher ranking horses. Most of the likely candidates for the BC are many peoples radar and people frequently get asked if they are going to run "horse A". For those with fewer points or flying under the radar, you just enter your horse and hope to make it.

While the BC is very prestigious, remember there will be other stakes going on that might fair better for your horses. If it comes down to being 6th or lower in the BC or in the top 5 somewhere else, I would probably go somewhere else. Of course that is easier said in hindsight and sometimes you just have to go for it. If you don't get your 2yo, 3yo or even 4yo stable star into the BC this year - you do have a lifetime nomination on the horse to go for it again next year.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Actually, this is the first year of entry fees - which are on all stakes races. So, there is an entry fee for the Breeders' Cup - 1% of the purse.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

Awesome. thanks for the help Dave.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

Just wondering, where is the BC this year?
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

Arlington Park (Illinois)
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

Sarah Chase wrote: Arlington Park (Illinois)