Whats With All These Fake Names?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stephen Saratoga
Turf Router

Post by Stephen Saratoga »

People that is. Has anyone looked at the owner's page lately? Should I have not used my real name?
Can I be Man O War?
Katie Grenier
Classic Contender

Post by Katie Grenier »

lol.. I know exactly what you mean, I noticed that after I had signed up for the SIM there were a lot of players who had used false names/alias'. Had I know in the begining that I could have made up an alias I would have gladly done so, and would have more than likely gone with something else entirely than what I am using now... Other than that I don't know why there are so many false names on here except to say that most people don't like using their real names on the internet, myself being one of them, as it helps to keep weirdos from trying to either use your information to try to gain access to your personal information in order to ruin your credit/take your money. Also, another reason as most of us know is for the sake of security against psychos. If I had the choice to go back and change my playing name I would in a heartbeat to something totally different, rather than use the name that I've got at the moment.. luckily the name that I go by on here isn't my "legal" name and is just a nickname, but it is still more information than I want to have listed on the internet for all to see.
Enigmatic Dreams LLC
Breeder of Rush Tu Dis Miss
The Only Grade 1 Winning Son Standing by Green Dash
Please Visit Inspiration Stud or Nikki Sherman For More
Information on Rush Tu Dis Miss's stud fee and breeding availability.
Sarah Chase
Hall of Fame

Post by Sarah Chase »

I believe what Stephen is referring to is not using an alias like Makoto Kino (which Amanda Saunders used to play under and which is totally fine) but those obviously non-human names like Longshot Winners, VK Stables, ArabianDreamer Rocks, etc. It's not ideal, but at the rate the SIM is growing, it'd be too time-consuming for the Steward to go after every unorthodox player name.
Frayed - $75,000
Liveinthemoment - $25,000
Same - $10,000
It's Been Awhile - $10,000
Grindelwald - $10,000
Skywatching - $7,500
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Stephen Skaggs wrote: People that is. Has anyone looked at the owner's page lately? Should I have not used my real name?
Can I be Man O War?
Before I joined this game I actually contacted the Steward and asked her if using a 'fake name' was ok.

I saw before joining that most people were using their real names and I didn't want to do that, mostly for privacy reasons.

I've been 'StormyPeak' on various internet message boards, racing contests, and sim games for probably 9 years now.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Brianna McKenzie
Eclipse Champion

Post by Brianna McKenzie »

I think fake names look silly, just because we are such a close knit group of people. I've been around so long, it's always been "real"ish names so I have a hard time adjusting to this new wave of fakeness.

Yes.. I am a grumpy old fart.

I do totally understand people not wanting to use the same name that is on their birth certificate. I certainly didn't, but it has ties to the real me and has become my cooler alter-ego. So much so that when Dez was visiting, she called me "Bri" the whole time, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. No matter how confused it made my poor boss. he he

Personally I say, save the creative names for your Farms. :)
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

if I wanted to change my name to StephL over at the sim I would have to contact Em?

I been thinking about this for a bit now, when I joined I joined quickly I am not the most patient person so I often skip over stuff and say I agree with things, guess now I wish I atleast used my first name in this

:)
Selati(dirt miler) $15k NY
Lani(unspecified type) $30k in NY
Lead the Crowd(turf miler) $15k NY
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Brianna McKenzie wrote: I think fake names look silly, just because we are such a close knit group of people......

I do totally understand people not wanting to use the same name that is on their birth certificate. I certainly didn't, but it has ties to the real me and has become my cooler alter-ego.........
:blink:

As for 'how silly' those names might be, perhaps those names do mean something very special to the people who use them.

Stormy Peak...is a mountain near my home, my dad's ashes are up on that mountain and it's where I buried my old dog, Sampson after she died. It's a area where I've spent countless hours of camping, fishing, and hunting.

Just because a name isn't 'Joe Smith' or Jane Doe' in nature doesn't neccessarily mean it's being used without thought put into it.

Also names are weird nowdays anyways... I know a little girl who's real name is Cricket. :P

Stormy -- who's real name doesn't begin with an 'S' ;)
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Emma Lochran
Hall of Fame

Post by Emma Lochran »

I wasn't sure what this game was about when I signed up, so I used an alias (a long dead relative, she was my hero)just wasn't comfortable with my real name on the internet. I'm not bothered by the 'made up' names, whatever makes people happy :)
Ali Weasley
Hall of Fame

Post by Ali Weasley »

When I first joined I was Ally Seattle. Then I realized that my name was EVERYWHERE on the net anyway due to KTTC, and figured why bother... so I had Em change me to my real name.

But I understand people not wanting to use their real names.
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

I have absolutely no idea why I decided to sign up as "Ara Davies" instead of using my real name, but I found it amusing that Em apparently decided I was a 40 year old British woman based merely on the name. :)
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Rayne Wyatt
Derby Contender

Post by Rayne Wyatt »

Sarah Chase wrote:I believe what Stephen is referring to is not using an alias like Makoto Kino (which Amanda Saunders used to play under and which is totally fine) but those obviously non-human names like Longshot Winners, VK Stables, ArabianDreamer Rocks, etc. It's not ideal, but at the rate the SIM is growing, it'd be too time-consuming for the Steward to go after every unorthodox player name.
Stormy, personally, I'd consider yours one of the former type of names. An alias that is real enough to seem real (I have a friend called Storm, I think nothing of Stormy as a real life first name) - LongLot Meadows, etc. are the type that simply not realisting "people" names. They're 'farm' names, and the like. Not for people.

Rayne Wyatt isn't the name on my birth certificate, for the record. lol. I'm an Amanda by birth, as Mandy was ammused to find out when it came up in chat the other day.
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

well I am a crazy canadian I do live in a province where it gets beyond bone chilling cold hence why I am crazy

but I am a Stephanie by birth

still thinking on whether or not to change it, but I kinda like the anonymity(sp) of being crazy canuck
Ara Davies
Hall of Fame

Post by Ara Davies »

But we can't call you "Crazy" as that isn't really a name. There's plenty of anonymity in making up a name. We've always had an environment where every player was known by a legitimate sounding first and last name and we like the game that way. Otherwise, once half the players are known as "PonyLuvr" and "Barbaro's Dream Farm" we start turning into Horseland and games like that.

Just make up a name like many of the rest of us have. But be warned, if we meet you in real life we WILL call you by that name, so make sure you're willing to answer to it. :)

And Bri, don't be silly, you are BRIANNA. Don't lie and say you aren't.
You're not getting a dead button...in fits of rage, John Slotman and Ara Davies and Jolene Danner would literally kill half their barns.
- The Steward

That's my new motto: Don't quit, just shut up.
- Bryan Doolittle
Steph Lonhro
Hall of Fame

Post by Steph Lonhro »

after some thought, and if I think that long I always say I should go for it, I sent Em an email about a name change to Steph L if possible

although I always will be a bit crazy but that's just me :)
Xaviar Payne
Two Year Old

Post by Xaviar Payne »

I use a bogus name... but I like to think that it's at least realistic.