Oy! Nervous? Yes!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Susie Rydell
Eclipse Champion

Post by Susie Rydell »

Daryl Singhi wrote: So much for my son of Shatterproof being indestructible.
Personally, I'd have gone for so much for Fumetsu being indestructible... that is, afterall, the meaning of his name.
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Susie Raisher wrote:
Daryl Singhi wrote: So much for my son of Shatterproof being indestructible.
Personally, I'd have gone for so much for Fumetsu being indestructible... that is, afterall, the meaning of his name.
Exactly my point. Oh well, I shoulda waited another week. Still, I was hoping to have a big showdown with Rado and Aca in the BC. Given the injury, I may just retire him...anticipated matchup be damned.

-Daryl
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

The Steward wrote:
Daryl Singhi wrote: As results are being tabulated, two horses are injured for me already.  Fleet and Fumetsu.  So much for my son of Shatterproof being indestructible. 

-Daryl
You're not alone - lots of injuries this week.

Not only are the horses from Dubai being punished into running too early (amongst other big name injures), but a lot of people are finding out that working in between races with no rest weeks isn't helping..
I think that waiting three weeks (approx 4 months between the RL Dubai races and the Eddie Read) and having an injury cost him a perfect record is really goofy. I could see if I was up against Sir William or a similar horse, but no offense, --- Zazzam?

He was carefully shipped during each rest week each leg of the trip back. So much for actually planning things out. If a horse can't put away a subpar field after 4 months of rest, I can't see how ANY horse avoids injury after Dubai in the game? Looks like Coup can be shelved until winter.

-Daryl
Michelle Calderoni
Hall of Fame

Post by Michelle Calderoni »

I understand your distress, Daryl. Your not alone though, Lost and Acapulco both had the same comeback to injury thing.

Anyways, it's not really possible equate the SIM to real time in anyway though, and that where a lot of things go wrong. For example, Jolene told me she thought that since italy was only 6 hours away from Dubai it was the same as traveling through Europe and bam Aca gets hurt.

The weeks in the SIM, at least according to the rules, don't represent actual weeks/ months/ years in real life. Shipping is real time, but weeks aren't. So in the SIM he didn't get enough rest I guess.

Heck, I was bummed Fumetsu was hurt. I am a big fan and wanted to see him retire 16 for 16 or however many starts he was making. Massage can't wait to visit him.
Pegasus Feathers International -Dubai
Edward Cullen -$35k | Fleet Admiral -$35k | Visine -$10k
Champions Producing Champions
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Eh, live and learn. Just funny to see other horses travel like crazy and dodge bullets while mine spends his whole career in one farm and one track, gets tons of rest from travel leading up to Dubai, then gets sniped despite a very reasonable set of ships. Pretty brutal.

Whatever. It hurts my runners a bit, but as I see it, it is the BC's loss. I will have more time to make money on him in the shed. He will be put up when I decide whether to restrict his book, or just price him at 250k or 500k a pop.

-Daryl
John Slotmon
Hall of Fame

Post by John Slotmon »

All this injury talks makes me wonder whether I've been doing well at spacing my starts, etc., or if it has been plain, old dumb luck. I'd lean towards the latter, and certainly am knocking on wood that I can keep my guys healthy. That stinks, Daryl, nothing else to say about that.
"John Slotman and <name redacted> are always sooooo amazingly generous with new and struggling players- I think we all thank you!" - April Eddy, 3/6/2012
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

Daryl Singhi wrote: Eh, live and learn. Just funny to see other horses travel like crazy and dodge bullets while mine spends his whole career in one farm and one track, gets tons of rest from travel leading up to Dubai, then gets sniped despite a very reasonable set of ships. Pretty brutal.

Whatever. It hurts my runners a bit, but as I see it, it is the BC's loss. I will have more time to make money on him in the shed. He will be put up when I decide whether to restrict his book, or just price him at 250k or 500k a pop.

-Daryl
I've had horses get hurt on proper rest with no shipping involved at all. I think the lesson from Fumetsu is that shipping once, getting it over with, and recovering for three weeks (i.e. Dubai-CA Farm) is ultimately more beneficial than shipping in spurts. I'd bet that there's some minimum amount of stress that goes into putting a horse on the plane, but once its on a plane an extra six or seven hours in the air isn't going to do as much harm as multiple trips.

Live and learn I suppose, and I'd take a horse that was 14: 13-1-0 with $3.7mil in earnings any day of the week.
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Daryl, you need to step back and take a look at what you did to your horse before you try to make it sound like Emily did this on purpose. She has said many, many times, especially before this year's Dubai meet, that racing in that desert takes A LOT out of a horse - PERIOD. You've been in this game long enough that you should know what kind of rest that they need after racing there. You weren't the only one that was injured this week. Other trainers had injuries - some because they raced too soon after Dubai, some because the horse was just tired, others for overworking. Don't try to make it sound like it's a conspiracy. It was just a training misjudgment. We all make them. It's just a matter of who can accept their mistakes and learn from it and who wants to just try to make it out to be something it's not.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

I'm just mad you didn't mention Chomp with Rado and Acapulco. He's growling at you! ;)

My sympathies about Fumetsu. The worst thing about being undefeated is that first loss - it's always looming. Hope he comes back okay.
Dave Shields
Eclipse Champion

Post by Dave Shields »

I knew I should have stuck with my schedule with Wonder instead of trying to get this race in. Oh well, at least she is able to run again. Chalk this one up to I should have known better.

It sucks to have a horse get injured, especially one of your top horses. However, it happens. This one was my own fault and could have been prevented. It is something that can happen even if you carefully plan things out though. This just goes to show all players that it really doesn't matter what level you are at (new player - old player - somewhere in between), mistakes happen, horses get hurt and the SIM world moves on.

It's not the first time I have had an injury and won't be the last time either. Believe me, I try NOT to have any injuries, but sometimes mistakes happen or fragile horses happen or over racing tired horses happen or.... you get the point.
Mallory Claire

Post by Mallory Claire »

Notorious had a real easy schedule going into the Derby, and he still got injured! I wasn't bitter, but I suppose I could've been. It's just the luck of the draw.
Jolene Danner
Hall of Fame

Post by Jolene Danner »

I just know that I don't feel so lonely this week. LOL Not that I wish an injury on anyone but I just felt really dumb for injuring my star. Now i'm not alone.
Daryl Dennis

Post by Daryl Dennis »

Alysse Jacobs wrote: Daryl, you need to step back and take a look at what you did to your horse before you try to make it sound like Emily did this on purpose.  She has said many, many times, especially before this year's Dubai meet, that racing in that desert takes A LOT out of a horse - PERIOD.  You've been in this game long enough that you should know what kind of rest that they need after racing there.  You weren't the only one that was injured this week.  Other trainers had injuries - some because they raced too soon after Dubai, some because the horse was just tired, others for overworking.  Don't try to make it sound like it's a conspiracy.  It was just a training misjudgment.  We all make them.  It's just a matter of who can accept their mistakes and learn from it and who wants to just try to make it out to be something it's not.
I don't think I ever said anything about Emily. And if I wanted to, I certainly know her well enough to simply tell her directly. But I am sure she thanks you for your concern.

What I 'did' to the horse seems to be a 4 month RL break between races. As for not being the only horse injured, well duh! But I don't sit around tallying other injuries, just my own. I expect owners that care about their horses would feel the same after such a loss. Given how many unexpected injuries have happened to big name horses and owners, and the storyline nature to the game, I think bringing up a big injury in that context is fully relevant. I can't do anything about it, but certainly someone with no stake in the discussion out to stay out of it rather than bait or otherwise play the role that you have chosen to take on once again.

You and I have enough history to know that your response is nothing more than an extension of juvenile nonsense that I thought was over with years ago when the old SIM went away. I guess not, and for that I feel sorry. Please save the lectures and the next time you want to play this game, do it through a PM.

-Daryl
Alysse Peverell
Hall of Fame

Post by Alysse Peverell »

Daryl Singhi wrote: Eh, live and learn. Just funny to see other horses travel like crazy and dodge bullets while mine spends his whole career in one farm and one track, gets tons of rest from travel leading up to Dubai, then gets sniped despite a very reasonable set of ships. Pretty brutal.
That sounds a whole lot like you think somebody had something against you to me. I'm not the only person who got this impression, even if I am the only one who spoke up about it.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Post by Eric Nalbone »

No more bickering. Thread locked.